Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond "STOPPER" Set. (Sizes 4 to 13) - 10 pieces. Comes with a "free" karabiner for racking.   $109.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

 Page 6 of 14. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 275
Author
Info for Sarah...therefore not hijacked!

nmonteith
13/05/2009
10:36:31 AM
On 13/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:
>I also have realised though I've still not found any climbers in Robinvale
>-do you think they exsist?

I doubt it - or at best there might be one or two, who probably aren't on this forum! Climbing isn't very 'mainstream' in Australia.

Eduardo Slabofvic
13/05/2009
2:19:40 PM
On 13/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:
>I also have realised though I've still not found any climbers in Robinvale
>-do you think they exsist? and more importantly Do you think they are
>more or less dangerous than the drop bear? x

I'ld be more afraid of the Ute drivers than any nasty bities.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13/05/2009
3:40:42 PM
Idra~>M9 wrote;
>>It was a good Chockstone Gathering, i.e. wasn't too festy or knuckleheady!
>
On 13/05/2009 Sarah Gara replied:
>Sill not with the lingo -knuckleheady? festy?
>
>So Chockstones gather on occasion then? I was considering joining the
>Victoria climbing club -but they all seem too far -in Melbourne... x

Probably worth joining VCC anyway, if for no other reason than to help subsidise their activities in maintaining/gaining access to climbing locations under threat these days.
You also get discounts on their guidebooks etc, but attending their Melbourne based activities will be a time/distance problem. Their social scene is pretty good, and you would find climbing partners amongst them too. Many regularly attend Araps.

>knuckleheady?
It was a reference to here.

>festy?
~> Will have to use your imagination on that one.
lacto
13/05/2009
5:40:37 PM
very unlikely that there will be any climbers in robinvale there will most likely be only a small number of people in the age group you would expect climbers to be in the they will be into ,footy cricket tennis drinking fishing etc try mildura council to see if there are any outdoor (hiking canoeing etc ) clubs . Roos are more a problem away from the river so the danger is getting away from there rther than around town . Water and green grass mostly concentrated on the road table drains which is the attraction . Friends lived for years in Balranald 80km east- no health service vechiles were allowed on the roads at night due to the high roo hit rate. They fitted roo shoos (high pitch scream )on their cars after they collected three in the first few months they were there

wallwombat
13/05/2009
6:48:38 PM
On 8/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:

>Why Robinvale? dunno really gets me away from UK and seemed like a good
>idea at the time I really didn't realise just how big Australia is.

This doesn't really answer the question.

Are you a doctor or something like that?

Sarah Gara
14/05/2009
3:42:55 AM
On 13/05/2009 nmonteith wrote:

>I doubt it - or at best there might be one or two, who probably aren't
>on this forum! Climbing isn't very 'mainstream' in Australia.

Gutted I'm gonna have to do the drive alone. Not mainstream? Madness. you guys have some of the best in the world.

On 13/05/2009 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Probably worth joining VCC anyway,

Will do. most certainly.

On 13/05/2009 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>I'ld be more afraid of the Ute drivers

I think I may become one if I can afford it -those things are cool... just got to decide over that and a small van that I can sleep in. Can you drive onto the campsite at the araps?

On 13/05/2009 lacto wrote:
>try mildura council to see if there are any outdoor (hiking canoeing etc ) clubs

Yes I've looked at this -they don't seem to have anything with such a good website as this. I'll keep looking. I feel loads happier now anyway -knowing I won't have to give up climbing when I move over there.

On 13/5/2009 Wallwombat wrote:
On 8/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:

>Why Robinvale? dunno really gets me away from UK and seemed like a good
>idea at the time I really didn't realise just how big Australia is.

>This doesn't really answer the question.
>Are you a doctor or something like that?

Podiatrist. Yeah, I kinda fell into Robinvale -I have an adventurous spirit and will talk to anybody I'm sure I'll be fine. Plus I'm led to believe the Ozzies are a friendly bunch.

When I first said yes I comforted myself with if I don't like it I'll just come home -but really now I thing I may just try somewhere a just bit further south - Horsham possibly?

It will be fine, I hope. x
TonyB
14/05/2009
7:17:40 AM
Sarah,

There's a classic Australian movie depicting life in the Oz outback ... "Wake in Fright". It was made in 1971 but I doubt that things have changed much. You can watch it all on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkgwbNCD9l4

ajfclark
14/05/2009
8:12:54 AM
On 14/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:
>Plus I'm led to believe the Ozzies are a friendly bunch.

For the most part they are unless someone's preventing them getting their beauty sleep or they've been on the bundy
patto
14/05/2009
8:38:19 AM
Forget the snakes, spides and dropbears. I think the biggest danger to you in coming to Oz is the horde of Australian male climbers that will be wanting to 'befriend' you!
Wendy
14/05/2009
9:38:22 AM
I do know some climbers in Nangilloc - not terribly far away from Robinvale in the greater scheme of things. However, I've never understood quite how they survive there. They originally planned to be down here (I'm in Nati) every other weekend and I think that became about twice in 3 years.

On finding work in Horsham - well, the global economic crisis has certainly not affected health and welfare work prospects out here. Pretty much any skilled worker will step into a job straight away. I'm pretty sure the hospital is low on podiatrists, if not Nhill will be. If you'd said physio, I'd have said get in there now!!! I can only get 1 appt every 2 weeks at the moment because they are down several physios. Any physios looking for a rock change????

nmonteith
14/05/2009
9:43:48 AM
On 14/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:
>On 13/05/2009 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>>I'ld be more afraid of the Ute drivers
>
>I think I may become one if I can afford it -those things are cool...
>just got to decide over that and a small van that I can sleep in. Can
>you drive onto the campsite at the araps?

I've never been that won over by the practicality of a ute as a climbers vehicle. It only fits 2 people, your gear can get stolen from the back and it doesn't offer a dry place to sleep in. They are also not 4WD and have low clearance. All our campsite are pretty much drive in affairs where you can set up your tent next to the car.

nmonteith
14/05/2009
9:56:29 AM
Country utes in Australia are famous for their 'charming' stickers plastered all over them. These are some of the typical examples... as you can see a pommy girl probably doesn't fit into the usual demographic of ute drivers... :-)



prb
14/05/2009
10:38:34 AM
On 14/05/2009 patto wrote:
>I think the biggest danger to you in coming to Oz is the horde of Australian male climbers that will be
wanting to 'befriend' you!

On 14/05/2009 Sarah Gara wrote:
>Podiatrist.

As luck would have it, I'm an Australian male climber with plantar fasciitis (but don't own a ute). Saw a
podiatrist Tuesday. I now have strapping, orthotics, a list of exercises, a list of the correct runners to
buy, but orders not to run for several weeks. I need to be right for the Swiss Alps in August,
descending with a pack has been nasty. My guy said August should be achievable.

But I may need a second opinion...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
14/05/2009
10:45:57 AM
On 14/05/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>Country utes in Australia are famous for their 'charming' stickers plastered
>all over them. These are some of the typical examples... as you can see
>a pommy girl probably doesn't fit into the usual demographic of ute drivers...
>:-)

?
She has a pulse?? (I hear them say...)
... ~> another definition of festy!

Zebedee
14/05/2009
11:18:05 PM
On 14/05/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>I've never been that won over by the practicality of a ute as a climbers
>vehicle. It only fits 2 people, your gear can get stolen from the back
>and it doesn't offer a dry place to sleep in. They are also not 4WD and
>have low clearance. All our campsite are pretty much drive in affairs where
>you can set up your tent next to the car.
Oh I can't wait till pig man reads this.
Utes can be four wheel drive just not the ones pictured above. (Patrol, Landcruiser, Courier, Rodeo etc.) Mine is only two wheel drive but probably has more clearance than some softroaders. They do offer a dry place to sleep. I have slept in my ute under the tonneau a bit cramped for headroom but definitely water proof. I have a fibreglass canopy on now and it is waterproof (with headroom) and probably as 'thief' proof as your average car. Smash a window and you're in. I only need one belayer and no audience so I find two seats sufficient though many utes can seat three and dual cabs up to five. Sexist and racist stickers ARE optional put 'em on if you want 'em. But the best thing about utes is the blondes you can attract... blondes in my ute

Sarah Gara
15/05/2009
5:31:52 AM
On 14/05/2009 Wendy wrote:
>I do know some climbers in Nangilloc - not terribly far away from Robinvale
>in the greater scheme of things.

how far is "in the greater scheme"?

On 14/05/2009 Wendy wrote:
However, I've never understood quite how
>they survive there. They originally planned to be down here (I'm in Nati)
>every other weekend and I think that became about twice in 3 years.

I really hope that doesn't become the case with me -If you've not seen at the Araps by Sept -check after me -cos I'll have been kidnapped -and with all the yowies, ute drivers dropbears and rugby players I'm begining to be more scared of them than the spiders...

On 14/05/2009 Wendy wrote:
>On finding work in Horsham - well, the global economic crisis has certainly
>not affected health and welfare work prospects out here. Pretty much any
>skilled worker will step into a job straight away. I'm pretty sure the
>hospital is low on podiatrists, if not Nhill will be.

I'm kinda signed into a 2year sponsership and I'll be out of pocket if I move before 2years is up. But if they stick me in a caravan -I'll reconsider...

So are you out at the Araps a lot. Only the second climbver girl so far... are we really that rare in Oz x

Sarah Gara
15/05/2009
5:42:06 AM
On 14/05/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>Country utes in Australia are famous for their 'charming' stickers plastered
>all over them. These are some of the typical examples... as you can see
>a pommy girl probably doesn't fit into the usual demographic of ute drivers...

After those pictures I don't want to -my god they are terrible -I really hope that's the exception and not the rule -My Grandma would have a fit!

Do you have chavs in Oz? AKA scallies/townies/NEDs
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darkpowers/chav.jpeg


Think I might stick with a van -then I've got somewhere to go when it rains...oh wait a min...Is that a worthwhile reason to get a van. How many times in the past 6 months have you guys not been able to go climbing due to rain? -this'll be interesting for me... x

Sarah Gara
15/05/2009
5:56:08 AM
>On 14/05/2009 patto wrote:
>>I think the biggest danger to you in coming to Oz is the horde of Australian
>male climbers that will be
>wanting to 'befriend' you!

Flippin heck. Bears, spiders, yowies, ute drivers, rugby players, sharks, carnivorus emus and now hordes of male climbers.. Come on guys I'm ready to hear the good things about Oz...


On 15/5/2009 prb wrote:
>As luck would have it, I'm an Australian male climber with plantar fasciitis
>(but don't own a ute). Saw a
>podiatrist Tuesday. I now have strapping, orthotics, a list of exercises,
>a list of the correct runners to
>buy, but orders not to run for several weeks. I need to be right for the
>Swiss Alps in August,
>descending with a pack has been nasty. My guy said August should be achievable.
>
>But I may need a second opinion...

lol. If you'd only had a ute and an emu I'd be yours...

-yeah I think August could possibly be achievable -but it depends how severe it is. Excerises do them religiously -I'm never big on the strapping -I only use it for athletes until they get their orthotics. Try acupuncture -I get some great results -so good in fact I''m thinking of trying it as a first line treatment rather than after everything has failed.

But planter fascitis is usually worse after a hard day on your feet so I wouldn't expect to be pain free -esp on the descents... but maybe... they say 4-6 weeks for recovery -but in my experience people have already had it longer than that by the time I see them. x

Sarah Gara
15/05/2009
5:57:13 AM
prb - out of interest how much did all that cost? x

Sarah Gara
15/05/2009
6:10:27 AM
On 14/5/2009 Zebedee wrote:
>But the best thing about utes is the blondes you can attract...

They are well cute my dad has a yellow lab but with a pink nose -she's lovely and is so soft. -I would upload a pic but it's too big. x

 Page 6 of 14. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 275
There are 275 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints