Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: 120cm Nylon Runner. (Open sewn sling) 18mm wide nylon. Assorted colours. Awesome value IMO.   $8.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Author
Mt Alex, rancho relaxo portaledge party TR

miguel75
27/08/2012
11:06:08 AM
It's been awhile since I've posted a TR and so thought I'd share my last weekends foray into the wilderness, though readers be warned, this TR contains no actual climbing:)

My buddy and I have both had a pretty busy time at work of late and so decided that Friday night we would host the semiannual Staughton Vale portaledge party... It was only when we rolled into Bacchus Marsh that I remembered it's close to Falcon breeding season and given last time I was there I saw evidence of Falcons (lots of little bones and fur laying around on ledges) we thought it prudent to go somewhere else. The nominations were, my favourite WG for a night on Redex or with its ease of access and all around fun-ness, Mt Alex.

We settled on Mt Alex and after dodging roos most of the drive up we arrived around 21:30 and proceeded to set up the ledge on a previously reconnoitred ledge. Upon deployment of all things fun, the ledge and lots of junk food, we settled in for a bit of rancho relaxo time. It was during this time of great relaxation, and to our great disappointment, we found way too many pointy bits of rock trying to poke through the fly and so decided to re-adjust our bivy. This meant lots of fun, actually it was really, really fun, ascending/descending before deciding the chosen bivy site was dead set against us and bailing around 01:00. Did I mention the cold? The car's thermometer said 3 deg and it certainly felt every bit of it, especially with the mist and wind... Anyway, we thought we'd find somewhere else to dangle the ledge and a really big tree caught our attention but by that time we were both pretty spent and so drove to Dog Rocks as there were a few climbs we wanted to aid in the morning.

We ended up sleeping on the grass next to the Dog Rocks car park and woke up to a beautiful misty morning with c--katoos squawking and low temps. We tried to get stoked for a bit of aid climbing but the siren call of bacon and eggs overcame us both and so we left, recharged and ready for another adventure that may actually involve some climbing:)
Mark R
27/08/2012
2:40:18 PM
Dude, that is gold. Commendable dedication to maximal discomfort for minimum gain (though I'm sure the 'fun' was all worth it). I particularly like the ability to overcome the lure of rocks (not less than 100m away) for the distant siren call of fried breakfast. After all, its what aiding is all about, the capacity to haul as much food as you care.

By the way, do you or anyone else out there have any idea what has happened with the fixed hangers thieved off a number of the routes at Dog Rocks? Seems like a very regretable development.

Miguel75
27/08/2012
6:24:46 PM
On 27/08/2012 Mark R wrote:
>By the way, do you or anyone else out there have any idea what has happened
>with the fixed hangers thieved off a number of the routes at Dog Rocks?
>Seems like a very regretable development.

Thanks Mark. Unfortunately I have no information around the missing hangers though find it a very sad development. Hopefully one that does not continue...
Bobic
27/08/2012
8:06:08 PM
Any photos?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
27/08/2012
9:24:23 PM
On 27/08/2012 miguel75 wrote:
>but the siren call of bacon and eggs overcame us both and so we left.

~> Sooky la la's!
;-)

Nah, good to hear that you are out and about with the portaledge M75. ☺

>It was during this time of great relaxation, and to our great disappointment, we found way too many pointy bits of rock trying to poke through the fly and so decided to re-adjust our bivy. This meant lots of fun, actually it was really, really fun, ascending/descending before deciding the chosen bivy site was dead set against us

~> Nothing that either a teaspoon of cement, or a hipflask of good scotch, or sheer exhaustion, won't overcome!
Heh, heh, heh.

Miguel75
27/08/2012
9:51:48 PM
On 27/08/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 27/08/2012 miguel75 wrote:
>>but the siren call of bacon and eggs overcame us both and so we left.
>
>~> Sooky la la's!

I've actually had that added to my business card as my official title;)

>>It was during this time of great relaxation, and to our great disappointment,
>we found way too many pointy bits of rock trying to poke through the fly
>and so decided to re-adjust our bivy. This meant lots of fun, actually
>it was really, really fun, ascending/descending before deciding the chosen
>bivy site was dead set against us
>
>~> Nothing that either a teaspoon of cement, or a hipflask of good scotch,
>or sheer exhaustion, won't overcome!
>Heh, heh, heh.

Yeah you're right, butterscotch, cement or exhaustion woukd have worked though we've bivied there before and it did a number on the bed so we figured we'd (possibly) save destroying the fly for a more worthwhile climb... Somewhere at Buff maybe;)

And no pics this time, sorry;)

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints