Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Scarpa: Scarpa "Mystic GTX" Approach Shoe. Premium model. Gortex lined. Vibram Sole. Climbing toe... Size 43 Eur. (10 USm)  $149.00
50% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Wolgan - Mystery Mountain - Landslide area
technogeekery
3/04/2013
12:14:55 PM
Was camping at the Wolgan this Easter, and couldn't stop looking at this amazing line on Mystery Mountain (opposite Old Baldy). I think the area is called the Landslide Area, and the line is the obvious huge corner on the LH boundary of the big yellow face. There is a big (offwidth/squeeze chimney size?) crack running up the corner for about 35m to a curved ledge, then directly up again for another 25-30m to an overhang at the top of the yellow face. Looks like a crack through this overhang giving access to the grey face above, then another crack diagonally up and right through this grey face for another 25m or so. It is a very obvious line, so presumably done before, but I couldn't find any descriptions for routes on this face. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks

Alex
technogeekery
8/04/2013
12:57:09 PM
Neve mind - found it. Looks like this area is called "The Point" on the SRC guide, and the climb is probably Electric Kool-aid (15, 3p) - perfect :-)
technogeekery
11/06/2013
8:13:56 PM
Hmm. After exploring the area, we found Electric Kool Aid and Psychedelic, and this climb isn't either of them. It appears to be undescribed - but surely it must have been climbed. Anyone recognise this line?

Pic taken from the smaller campsite across the river.

I'd love to know what this is. Appears to be quite hard, but definitely doable, and very exciting...
technogeekery
11/06/2013
10:08:34 PM
and a closer look

Miguel75
11/06/2013
10:47:06 PM
That line looks rad. Don't forget a TR when you send it;)

pmonks
12/06/2013
1:21:59 AM
It's a stonking line - I remember looking up at it on each trip and wondering the same thing. Presumably it's offwidth, given the crack is clearly visible from such a long way away.

I vaguely recall a campfire conversation one night which mentioned that Giles Bradbury had tried it back in the dark ages - I wonder if Mikl knows anything about it?
technogeekery
12/06/2013
8:58:11 AM
pmonks - Mikl doesn't seem to, no. But I'm sure you are right, someone must have tried it - but you'd think if it had been done, it would have been written up, it is a fantastic line.

miguel - hmm, I think this is a bit above my pay grade. But if there is a strong trad leader out there who wants to give it a crack, I'd love to be belay slave / 2nd on it. Anyway, it will give me motivation to work on my crack / wide crack / offwidth techniques over the next year or two :-)

Macciza
12/06/2013
11:41:43 AM
Hi, I could be keen if the timing to be there can work out . . .
The left arching overhangy bit looks quite interesting too . . . .
Drop us a line if you plan heading that way again . . .
I have other projects downstream as well . . .
technogeekery
12/06/2013
1:58:21 PM
If I didn't see you chime in I was going to point out this thread to you :-)

Pity you couldn't make it this time, I'll certainly let you know when we go up again. Similarly, if you get a break and fancy going up, just drop me a line. Would be happy to help you on your other projects too. Don't mind a bit of a walk, either.

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints