Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Wild Country: Set of 7 X WC Rockcentrics. (Sizes 3 to 9) Anodized different colours! SUPER SPECIAL!  $119.00
30% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

 Page 9 of 20. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 320 | 321 to 340 | 341 to 360 | 361 to 380 | 381 to 383
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Rings on Return of the Toe Cutter Gang - Mt York
rolsen1
9/08/2012
5:24:19 PM
On 9/08/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 9/08/2012 Nick Clow wrote:
>>Perhaps a reference to the fact that, unlike you or Macciza, I have actually
>>been on the route.
>>
>>Anyway, whatever. I am sure it wont be long before you get round to calling
>>me a pussy or a *fag* (a word that you have already used earlier in this
>>thread), so I'll see you later. Macciza has made some homophobic comments
>>too. (I am surprised, given recent history of this sort of thing on Chockstone,
>>that the mods allow this.)
>>
>?
>For the life of me, I find it hard to follow how this tangent has any
>bearing on the thread topic?
>Is this the ODH post you mean?
>
>Macquarie Dictionary 1988.
>faggot: 1. bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches, etc tied together,
>used for fuel, etc.
>2. bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded. 3. a bundle or bunch
>of anything. 4. bouquet garni.

>
>~> Not that thread drift isn't rife on Chockstone! ;-) ... & from what
>I have seen, I think the mods have been pretty reasonable on this thread
>and the site generally; especially given that the rules include heated
>confrontational debate, ... perhaps more so with this thread/topic being
>obviously close to the marrow for many of the posters involved in it!

You seem to be a good bloke M9 but sometimes you post things like the above that make me shake my head. Times have changed and you can't mask bigotry with (attempted) humour.

nmonteith
9/08/2012
5:29:50 PM
On 9/08/2012 rolsen1 wrote:
>On 9/08/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>On 9/08/2012 Nick Clow wrote:
>>>Perhaps a reference to the fact that, unlike you or Macciza, I have
>actually
>>>been on the route.
>>>
>>>Anyway, whatever. I am sure it wont be long before you get round to
>calling
>>>me a pussy or a *fag* (a word that you have already used earlier in
>this
>>>thread), so I'll see you later. Macciza has made some homophobic comments
>>>too. (I am surprised, given recent history of this sort of thing on
>Chockstone,
>>>that the mods allow this.)
>>>
>>?
>>For the life of me, I find it hard to follow how this tangent has any
>>bearing on the thread topic?
>>Is this the ODH post you mean?
>>
>>Macquarie Dictionary 1988.
>>faggot: 1. bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches, etc tied together,
>>used for fuel, etc.
>>2. bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded. 3. a bundle or bunch
>>of anything. 4. bouquet garni.

>>
>>~> Not that thread drift isn't rife on Chockstone! ;-) ... & from what
>>I have seen, I think the mods have been pretty reasonable on this thread
>>and the site generally; especially given that the rules include heated
>>confrontational debate, ... perhaps more so with this thread/topic being
>>obviously close to the marrow for many of the posters involved in it!
>
>You seem to be a good bloke M9 but sometimes you post things like the
>above that make me shake my head. Times have changed and you can't mask
>bigotry with (attempted) humour.

I agree. Everyone knows its modern meaning....

n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.
One Day Hero
9/08/2012
5:38:24 PM
On 9/08/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>
>n. Offensive Slang
>Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

Hmmm, I'm kinda using it as a disparaging term for "climbers" who only ever climb on ringbolts. I'll go and change 'em all to something less offensive.
egosan
9/08/2012
5:43:07 PM
On 9/08/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>On 9/08/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>>
>>n. Offensive Slang
>>Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.
>
>Hmmm, I'm kinda using it as a disparaging term for "climbers" who only
>ever climb on ringbolts. I'll go and change 'em all to something less offensive.
Try, "Vegan."

Macciza
Online Now
9/08/2012
5:48:00 PM
'Fag' may also refer to
Fag, a colloquialism for cigarette
Fag, a junior boy who acts or acted as servant ("fagging") to a senior boy at a British independent school
Fag, or faggot (slang), an American English slur for a homosexual or effeminate man.

I used to 'bum fags' of people as when I was younger . . .

It is not purely used as Offensive Slang meant to insult 'Homosexuals' - in fact I know 'Gays' who hate the term 'Homosexual' more . . .

Same with 'Gay' - check it's etymology, understand it's meaning and range of uses . . It does not always mean an insult to Homosexuals . . .

I find it personally offensive that the traditional meanings have been usurped, and PC'ists abuse people for original/alternate uses.


Macciza
Online Now
9/08/2012
5:52:43 PM
On 9/08/2012 egosan wrote:
>Try, "Vegan."

Oooh that's getting a bit harsh, you're lucky I'm only Vegetarian . . .

How about Eunuch or Castrati . . .

nmonteith
9/08/2012
5:58:27 PM
On 9/08/2012 Macciza wrote:
>'Fag' may also refer to
>Fag, a colloquialism for cigarette
>Fag, a junior boy who acts or acted as servant ("fagging") to a senior
>boy at a British independent school
>Fag, or faggot (slang), an American English slur for a homosexual or effeminate
>man.
>
>I used to 'bum fags' of people as when I was younger . . .
>
>It is not purely used as Offensive Slang meant to insult 'Homosexuals'
>- in fact I know 'Gays' who hate the term 'Homosexual' more . . .
>
>Same with 'Gay' - check it's etymology, understand it's meaning and range
>of uses . . It does not always mean an insult to Homosexuals . . .
>
>I find it personally offensive that the traditional meanings have been
>usurped, and PC'ists abuse people for original/alternate uses.

Argue all you want. But it's meaning was clear. ODH used it as an offensive descriptor. I have very little patience for arguing over this. As a moderator I will state plainly that it is not acceptable to use that word in that way. If you don't' agree with this rule then please don't post on Chockstone.
One Day Hero
9/08/2012
6:05:59 PM
Don't be silly Macca, clearly I've been using the word in the context Neil laid out.........and honestly, the only reason I've been doing it is to get a rise out of the mods, childish really. In the future, I'll stick to less discriminatory terms of abuse.

E. Wells
9/08/2012
6:06:28 PM
Alright you big bunch of flowers, whos going to Mt York to grind some rings on the weekend?
dalai
9/08/2012
6:10:10 PM
dangermouth - pretty clear Neil has had enough as have I.

I understand you are also just after a reaction and you have got it. Enough is enough! Please edit your post otherwise I will...

Edit - appreciated dangermouth

Macciza
Online Now
9/08/2012
6:15:59 PM
Any way, coming back to the retro-ring issue re Rage This Season (which I consider far more offensive then mere words) . . .

From Safer Cliffs Australia :

We are not involved in retrobolting routes without permission from the first ascentionists. - Does any one know if Geoff was consulted and agreed?

In Australia, routes that contain natural protection are left as such. Bolted cracks are extremely rare and are very much frowned upon. If you can place gear than leave the climb in its natural state. You may not be able to climb the line placing gear but other future climbers certainly will. Leave trad challenges for the future. - I believe this is relevant to bold also.

DISCLAIMER No single fixed anchor can be guaranteed safe. - That's just for the 'but it has to be made safe' SPB-types ..

Discussion anyone ? . . .



Macciza
Online Now
9/08/2012
6:19:10 PM
I'll join you if you want, though I strongly suspect you are not the person who put them in . .
Which day? or do you prefer the cloak of darkness . . .?

Macciza
Online Now
9/08/2012
6:32:46 PM
On 9/08/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Don't be silly Macca,
I just find it all really bizarre that particular meanings can be given to 'words' by other people and warped and twisted in such ways . . .
And then they use 'their' interpretation to abuse and denigrate the person with concepts that never existed in the original writer's mind . . .

But if that's the way it is going to be - Then I would like to formally register a complaint of the recent use of the word 'Wanker' . .
As it is 'vulgar offensive slang' meant to denigrate a person by suggesting they are Ono-sexuals who enjoy masturbating . . .

And ODH just called me 'silly' what should I do about that?

dalai
9/08/2012
6:33:16 PM
On 9/08/2012 Macciza wrote:
>Discussion anyone ? . . .
>

Was this a Safer Cliff initiative?

As to my views - I haven't seen or touched the climb in question though have climbed at Mt York in the long distant past.

By the description of the route in question, if any route deserved to remain in its original condition it would be this one. Due to its height and steepness, is a perfect candidate to be left as is. As those not willing to take on the challenge of the bold ascent can toprope it.

Also given it's location surrounded by an abundance of routes of all styles, it isn't like it is locking up one of the few climbable bits of rock as it would in an area with minimal climbable rock like Melbourne (not that this is a justifiable reason for a retro given it can be toproped). I can think of quite a few local routes even here in rock starved Melbourne that I have not and will never lead but defend the boldness of the FA. Regardless if they headpointed the route as it still means putting yourself at a greater risk of injury!

I have bolted (still own probably one of the last working Ryobi petrol drills) so am not coming from an anti bolt perspective, rather there should be some routes which have an element of awe to the boldness of those who have gone before. Not every route no matter how good should be reduced to the lowest denominator and be changed so that everyone can lead it.


nmonteith
9/08/2012
6:50:51 PM
On 9/08/2012 dalai wrote:
>On 9/08/2012 Macciza wrote:
>>Discussion anyone ? . . .
>>
>
>Was this a Safer Cliff initiative?

It certainly WAS NOT a Safer Cliffs initiative.

Macciza
Online Now
9/08/2012
6:53:43 PM
On 9/08/2012 dalai wrote:
>Was this a Safer Cliff initiative?
>
Don't think so (hope not) but I believe it was done by a prominent BM Bolter, who I thought should have known better.
I do not think he has contributed to this discussion so far, though others have offered uncorroborated third-hand information as to their 'reasoning' . . .?

Absolutely agree with the rest of what you said, and well said. Take a bow, as others would say . . .

IdratherbeclimbingM9
9/08/2012
8:59:07 PM
On 9/08/2012 rolsen1 wrote:
>Times have changed and you can't mask bigotry with (attempted) humour.

On 9/08/2012 Macciza wrote:
>I find it personally offensive that the traditional meanings have been
>usurped, and PC'ists abuse people for original/alternate uses.

There is a strange symmetry here!
~> Kind of like this thread, ... in that it has gone full circle from; situation presented / shock and awe / deterioration of individual stances into a slanging match / shock and awe / back to presentation of situation...
;-)

stugang
9/08/2012
9:56:46 PM
God you guys can spin some shit....

Second try at getting this thread back to something relevant....

I raised the above anecdote cos I thought it ironic that all this shit is going on when I have had personal experience of (inadvertently) retroing a Warwick Baird route. Also after learning the full facts of the FA (First Ascent) I still hold the belief that my FA (Failed Attempt) was in way better style than his and gives me a moral superiority over him.

Warwick drove from Sydney for a 2 day weekend at moonarie to tell me he had already climbed the worst route on the Great Wall (although had never bothered to write it up for 8 years (probably cos he was embarrassed) despite doing so for a couple of other notable routes in the meantime???), and he spent 40 hours in a car to tell me that he wanted the bolts chopped on this route he never bothered to record.

This was in '89 and I was only 18 (and kind of impressionable) when this all happened. It taught me:
-the previous generation of climbers are probably egotistical twats
-the whole notion of the first ascentionist having a right over a piece of rock is a load of bollocks.

In summary, despite how it pains me to say this, and despite there are a few of his actions that I disagree with, I recon that simey is on the money.

The problem is it is easier to think you are a thinker rather than actually think in these times, and these thinky thinkers can afford cheap chinese drills.

BTW: I am on the side of thinking (or at least I think I think that) that these bolts on Exhibition wall are pointless, stupid and an insult to all the egotistical twats that have come before us.

PS. if you are too dumb to interpret the last sentence "I think the bolts on ExWall should be removed"....and yes I have climbed there.
dalai
9/08/2012
10:41:51 PM
On 9/08/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>On 9/08/2012 dalai wrote:
>>On 9/08/2012 Macciza wrote:
>>>Discussion anyone ? . . .
>>>
>>
>>Was this a Safer Cliff initiative?
>
>It certainly WAS NOT a Safer Cliffs initiative.

Didn't expect it to be - especially as you have already posted against the retro - just wanted to make it clear given safer cliffs was brought into the topic with the above post.
One Day Hero
9/08/2012
10:42:53 PM
Hey Stu, I dug out the shitty little guide and found your route, "Unnamed 25, 1 bolt at 8m", guidebook really sells it!

Did Warwick really drive down from Sydney for a weekend just to sort you out? That's fuching fanastic! No wonder you were so keen to send his rap route project, what a sweet "fuch you" that would've been.

Also, the retrobolted route in question was put up by Ralph, not Baird so your little story is completely irrelevant.

 Page 9 of 20. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 320 | 321 to 340 | 341 to 360 | 361 to 380 | 381 to 383
There are 383 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints