Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: DMM "Bug". (Anodised GREY) Great all-rounder with exceptional friction. IMO)   $15.00
40% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians Victoria Range (General) (General) [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
Cannibal Crag
kieranl
1/11/2011
9:56:00 PM
Cannibal Crag was written up in the March 1994 Argus with no access details and the comment "(Access clues deleted for now for a small gratuity. Ed)".
It had a bunch of routes grades 24-28 attributed to one Richard Delasanto, traditionally an alias for Kevin Lindorff.
Any in touch with Kevin or otherwise know where this cliff is?
MichaelOR
2/11/2011
10:01:48 AM
Hi Kieran,
I'll PM you Kevin's email address.
Michael
kieranl
2/11/2011
10:51:04 AM
And, in case noone can come up with any further information here's the info from Argus March 1994

CANNIBAL CRAG
Some classy routes on this little gem of a crag. (Access clues deleted for now for a small gratuity. Ed)

*AN ARM AND A LEG 30m 25
Delightful offwidthing at its voracious best. The line splitting the left-most buttress of this crag. Richard Delasanto, Helga Muller 02-94

**NIBBLING NOBBLES NUTS 25m 28
Have a ball on this one. (Sic - and sick. Ed). 10m R of AN ARM AND A LEG. Small nuts, good protection. Richard Delasanto 02-94

**DOG EAT DOG 30m 28
The overhanging arete 4m R of NNN. 6BRs. Richard Delasanto, Helga Muller 02-94

***INELEGANT SUFFICIENCY 20m 24
The seam just R of DED. Richard Delasanto, 0lme Tighte 01-94

*FOOT IN MOUTH 28m 28
The line of holds leading out from the mouth of the 'cave'. 4BRs.
Richard Delasanto, Helga Muller 02-94

nmonteith
2/11/2011
11:14:24 AM
In 1994 these three 28s would have added considerably to "hard routes" in Victoria at the time. I'm really surprised I've never heard of them before now - especially since at least one is an all trad route.
kieranl
2/11/2011
11:41:12 AM
The idea that they might be a hoax has crossed my mind.
grangrump
2/11/2011
11:45:22 AM
Damn. I always wanted to meet the belayer 0lme Tighte.

But spoofing guidebook writers has a long history in Australia.

Maxo
2/11/2011
8:22:34 PM
I'm slow. Where's the cannibal gag in 'inelegant sufficiency'?
widewetandslippery
2/11/2011
9:14:28 PM
Conan. Ever see that wanaka? Limestone in the first movie?
kieranl
2/11/2011
9:40:51 PM
And further supporting the hoax theory, Kevin Lindorff's response :

"Richard Delasanto was a figment of fiction but I'm not sure who took up the baton and ran with him to produce the Cannibal Crag routes. 'Twas not I!

I'd suggest that the write-ups were indeed a hoax (since Richard was)."
kieranl
2/11/2011
10:04:04 PM
And if I'd more carefully read the April 1994 Argus I would have seen this :
"Argus contributor Dick Delasanto is temporarily out of action with a groin injury"
and the next item :
"Glenn Tempest...is reportedly soon to make available details of a number of new routes in the Grampians"

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints