Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond "STOPPER" Set. (Sizes 4 to 13) - 10 pieces. Comes with a "free" karabiner for racking.   $109.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Eastern (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Cathedral Ranges - How long to dry?

shortman
8/06/2011
6:06:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows how long the rock takes to dry out after a bit of rain? Was hoping to head up on Sunday, and the rain isn't meant to clear till the Saturday. What are.my chances of getting a climb in?

JamesMc
8/06/2011
6:09:37 PM
If you're talking North Jawbone, it dries pretty quickly because it gets no seepage from above and is in full morning sun.

As long as it doesn't rain on Sunday you'll be fine.

JamesMc
patto
8/06/2011
8:27:04 PM
But there is much wind about then prepare to rug up!

Bring 2 ropes so you can use the new rap bolts, the descent is horrible.

Rupert
14/06/2011
6:06:27 PM
yep it is 'orrible, but mostly its the new growth at the bottom near bathtime gurgles etc. It is getting close to impossible to get through without the kevlar bodysuit now. The main walkdown off the back is still reasonable.

But agree with above comment - the place dries quickly and the easier stuff is still manageable after drizzle anyway.

StuckNut
14/06/2011
8:13:20 PM
Got benighted over the weekend and had to bash out through the prickles in the dark with no idea where we were going! My poor bro is still picking the little thorns out of his legs! The weather was awesome though and I enjoyed Speigals Overhang, the third pitch is a classic.

Pity you couldn't make it Shortman - you missed all the fun!

shortman
14/06/2011
8:20:39 PM
On 14/06/2011 StuckNut wrote:

>Pity you couldn't make it Shortman - you missed all the fun!

Yeah was spewin. Decided to leave a heap of blood on some granite somewhere else though! Should have come with u guys!

Pat
14/06/2011
10:47:34 PM
On 14/06/2011 StuckNut wrote:
>
>enjoyed Speigals Overhang, the third pitch is a classic.
>
How many pitches did you do it in. I always find the third boring and hive off to Greg's direct? Maybe you mean the second pitch?

StuckNut
15/06/2011
9:05:30 AM
We did it in three, combining pitch 1 & 2. So yeah the pick of the bunch was pitch 3 by the guide or pitch 2 how we did it. I didn't like the first half of the last pitch at all, too much greenery and small ledges covered in damp soil. The easy slab finish was ok.

Keen to go back and have a go at Junglescope.

Pat
16/06/2011
8:15:43 AM
Which guide?

StuckNut
16/06/2011
9:13:55 AM
The new Rockclimbs Around Melbourne guide with all the pretty photographs.

It shows it as 4 pitches but mentions the first two pitches can be combined.

We were hoping to use the new rap anchors to get off the top but the second party we were with(following us with a 60m rope), bailed after the first pitch leaving us with just my single 50m rope and no option but to face the prickly walk off.

Pat
16/06/2011
9:19:36 AM
Ah - OK, we are talking about the same pitch. I always do it in three. The first belay was nice, but when the old gum died (last century) I started to stretch it out to the second belay.

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints