Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Edelrid: "Ultralight Helmet" (Red) Fits 54 - 60cm Great heavy duty all-rounder. SUPER SPECIAL for a short time only!  $79.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Melbourne (General) (General) (General) [ Melbourne Guide ] 

Author
Staughton Vale climb tomorrow

Miguel75
23/02/2011
1:34:44 PM
I'm in the mood for exploration and seeing as the You Yangs are closed I'm thinking Staughton Vale could be fun. Anyone want to join me for an early tomorrow morning? It's no Werribee Gorge but it'll be fun.

nmonteith
23/02/2011
1:40:57 PM
It's pretty crap Miguel!
kieranl
23/02/2011
2:34:04 PM
Why are the You Yangs closed? Are they now considered a tripping hazard?

Miguel75
23/02/2011
2:54:27 PM
On 23/02/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>It's pretty crap Miguel!

Too true Neil though I'm keen for something different. Maybe tomorrow is the day for Galgotha...

Miguel75
23/02/2011
2:58:30 PM
On 23/02/2011 kieranl wrote:
>Why are the You Yangs closed? Are they now considered a tripping hazard?

One stubbed toe too many.

billk
23/02/2011
3:02:12 PM
On 23/02/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>It's pretty crap Miguel!

And dangerous for leading....

I would suggest top-roping.

ajfclark
23/02/2011
3:09:36 PM
On 23/02/2011 kieranl wrote:
>Why are the You Yangs closed? Are they now considered a tripping hazard?

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=208#cond

Change of Conditions
You Yangs Regional Park is currently closed due to significant damage caused by recent heavy rainfall.
A reopening strategy is currently being developed. Details will be provided on this page when available. It is expected that the entire park will remain closed until at least 1 March 2011.

Safety hazards include extensive rutting on roads, tracks and car parks, loss of road surface, and possible asbestos exposure in areas where culverts have been damaged. Rangers have worked to assess the full scale of damage throughout the park and identify the work required to make the park safe for public use following the latest rain events.

nmonteith
23/02/2011
3:21:50 PM
On 23/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>You Yangs Regional Park is currently closed due to significant damage
>caused by recent heavy rainfall.

You could just walk in? Park at Toynes Road, jump the fence and walk north in the park to a couple of good crags which I can't remember their names. I used to go there a bit after work in summer as you couldn't drive in because of the wheel spikes of death after 5pm.

Miguel75
23/02/2011
4:17:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll see where my whims take me in the morning...

Sabu
23/02/2011
4:40:15 PM
Its not bad for toproping (fun face climbing) but the leading was a bit dicey (and that was before the fires...)!

Miguel75
23/02/2011
7:10:28 PM
I'm with you Sabu, it's fun though not amazing. I'm thinking I might just head to Werribee gorge and trying a few climbs I've never done.
Access T CliffCare
23/02/2011
10:36:55 PM

As Andrew has noted from the Parks website is pretty much it.
I have also been in contact with the Ranger quite a bit. We were scheduled to run the 'Reach your Everest' kids program there and also a working bee was originally planned for this Sunday. The initial closure was because of the flooding with many of the roads being badly rutted and unable to take much traffic. Some of the climbing areas were heavily hit also as well as all the usual risk assesment they are required to carry out. It was looking pretty good for it to be opened a couple of weeks ago but with the second heavy rainfall, they discovered that many of the culverts had been damaged and unfortunately, the culvert material contains asbestos. From what I have been told, after the asbestos assessment, it was not considered highly dangerous but asbestos removal is required to be carried out by an official removal experts and the area needs to be contained and closed.

Hopefully the asbestos people will carry out the job reasonably quickly and its not too hard to respect the closure until all of this has been dealt with.

Cheers,

Tracey

Miguel75
23/02/2011
10:56:23 PM
Thanks for the update Tracey. Giving the You Yangs a miss until everything is settled sounds like the best idea.

nmonteith
23/02/2011
11:25:35 PM
Same asbestos removal company as the one for Burnely? Sounds like a conspiracy!

There are 14 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints