Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: 10mm DYNEX: 60cm (24") Runner. (Open round sling) Great for making "extender" quick-draws. IMO   $10.00
28% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Canyons in Victoria
Bob Saki
17/02/2011
10:26:57 AM
Hi Folks,

Do we have any canyons worth exploring in Vic.

The closest I have come is Moroka Gorge but looking for some other options.

Your help will be appreciated

rgs,

chris

nmonteith
17/02/2011
10:28:35 AM
Grampians during floodwaters would have some awesome canyons!

evanbb
17/02/2011
11:15:34 AM
My understanding is that sandstone is pretty much a prerequisite for canyons. The volcanic rock is too soluble and doesn't form proper canyons. The Gramps are one, but is there any otehr big sandstone in Victoria?

nmonteith
17/02/2011
11:29:20 AM
On 17/02/2011 evanbb wrote:
>My understanding is that sandstone is pretty much a prerequisite for canyons.

Limestone also forms good canyons. Bungonia has a few, and certainly overseas there are heaps of great limestone canyons. Rodellar in Spain for example. I've also seen good canyons in New Zealand in the shist rock.

ajfclark
17/02/2011
11:32:00 AM
On 17/02/2011 evanbb wrote:
>The volcanic rock is too soluble and doesn't form proper canyons.

Do you mean insoluble?

nmonteith
17/02/2011
11:35:39 AM
There is also 'canyoning' at Cradle Mountain in Tassie.
http://www.cradlemountaincanyons.com.au

Pat
17/02/2011
12:51:43 PM
I reckon the Little river gorge system in far east Gippsland would equate if you consider abseiling down mammoth water fall systems canyoning, without the slot canyon experience of the Blue Mts.
Tommo
17/02/2011
3:27:42 PM
On 17/02/2011 Pat wrote:
>I reckon the Little river gorge system in far east Gippsland would equate
>if you consider abseiling down mammoth water fall systems canyoning, without
>the slot canyon experience of the Blue Mts.

And you could climb back up via Grand Old Duke of York (and have an epic, like I did).
Bob Saki
17/02/2011
5:11:03 PM
Thanks folks

as always most helpful


LR Gorge will happen when I'm back from Squaw

anyone keen for a trip to LR Gorge in April??????

Pat
17/02/2011
5:21:16 PM
climbing?

Pat
17/02/2011
5:22:14 PM
On 17/02/2011 Tommo wrote:
>On 17/02/2011 Pat wrote:
>>I reckon the Little river gorge system in far east Gippsland would equate
>>if you consider abseiling down mammoth water fall systems canyoning,
>without
>>the slot canyon experience of the Blue Mts.
>
>And you could climb back up via Grand Old Duke of York (and have an epic,
>like I did).

TR please. How much booty did you leave behind? Heh...

JamesMc
17/02/2011
5:43:20 PM
Plenty of gorges around the Snowy River. Little River Gorge is the biggest but there are quite a few others. But they're not the thin dark canyons like in the Blue Mtns.

JamesMc

Pat
17/02/2011
8:52:20 PM
Up stream or downstream of McKillops bridge James?
Fish Boy
17/02/2011
10:59:57 PM
I walked LRG last month, TR here: http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1208825&page=3#Post1208825

Not a canyon, just a gully....^^^James is very correct, just look at some maps...
Fish Boy
17/02/2011
11:02:33 PM
On 17/02/2011 Pat wrote:
>On 17/02/2011 Tommo wrote:
>>On 17/02/2011 Pat wrote:
>>>I reckon the Little river gorge system in far east Gippsland would equate
>>>if you consider abseiling down mammoth water fall systems canyoning,
>>without
>>>the slot canyon experience of the Blue Mts.
>>
>>And you could climb back up via Grand Old Duke of York (and have an epic,
>>like I did).

Second the TR request! That wall looks so good! There would be a bunch of potential for long routes in there on exciting rock.
>
>TR please. How much booty did you leave behind? Heh...
Bob Saki
18/02/2011
9:29:54 AM
great TR fish Boy, what an amazing place.

I want to hear about your trip too Tommo.

Well I am going to try this in april explore/climb
john s
18/02/2011
2:02:40 PM
On 17/02/2011 Fish Boy wrote:

>Second the TR request! That wall looks so good! There would be a bunch
>of potential for long routes in there on exciting rock.

'exciting' is a good word here - the top half is like 20 werribee gorges stack on top of each other!

evanbb
18/02/2011
2:26:07 PM
On 17/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>On 17/02/2011 evanbb wrote:
>>The volcanic rock is too soluble and doesn't form proper canyons.
>
>Do you mean insoluble?

Nope. Weathering in sandstone is almost entirely mechanical. Weathering in volcanics is chemical; hence the trenchy cracks in granite. It's much younger rock, which fractures while cooling. Water flows down the surface so the whole thing dissolves. In sandstone the weathering only occurs at the bottom of the crack where the sand is tumbling along in a stream. Hence, it saws straight down.

evanbb
18/02/2011
2:26:59 PM
On 17/02/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>On 17/02/2011 evanbb wrote:
>>My understanding is that sandstone is pretty much a prerequisite for
>canyons.
>
>Limestone also forms good canyons. Bungonia has a few, and certainly overseas
>there are heaps of great limestone canyons. Rodellar in Spain for example.
>I've also seen good canyons in New Zealand in the shist rock.

I would not be in a hurry to call the Bungonia gullies 'canyons'.
lacto
18/02/2011
6:06:42 PM
dont no whether it has changed or not but april will be going down a blackberry infested gorge .both time i did it were eraly summer or spring .dont go down whole gorge to snowy but head back up the north side after the big waterfall up the spur that ends on the bend in the road down to Mclliops bridge
I think there are about 10 or 15 gorges in the area only other one I have been to is reedy creek gorge .Rob Jung had some great article in magazines about all the gorges in the late 70 early 80s
How about rocky valley gorge above bogong village track goes to guaging station at he bottom of the gorge and another track cross above the gorge . Another one in that area is upstream (500 m ?) of the main bridge where road crosses from fainter side to falls creeek side of river over Mt mckay creek and on the fainter side .

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 23
There are 23 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints