Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond "STOPPER" Set. (Sizes 4 to 13) - 10 pieces. Comes with a "free" karabiner for racking.   $109.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

 Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 56
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Via Ferrata in Chamonix

nmonteith
21/02/2011
1:33:24 PM
You don't need to spend more than about $30 for one of these. A Kong Kisa.
http://www.kong.it/doc408.htm


We just chopped up an old dynamic rope and threaded it through the plate. It was what almost everyone was using in the Dolomites.

widewetandslippery
21/02/2011
1:36:37 PM
Thats the thingy I was refering to.
kieranl
21/02/2011
2:10:53 PM
I like the look of the Thingy and I especially like the name.
TeeRex
21/02/2011
2:22:39 PM
On 21/02/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I have factor 2 fallen on a 60cm lanyard of dynamic rope. I blame it for
>my sore kidneys. The level of shock absorbance a short length of dynamic
>rope is minute. I really believe in this circumstance the use of static
>rope would not be noticed. Shock absorbance with rope lanyards in short
>high impact falls comes from knots cinching tight and your body going squishy
>in your harness. I believe in rope access the use of dynamic rope lanyards
>is an unscientific rockclimber hangover. The sliding rope thingys petzal
>and kong (I know others make them but these are the ones I've seen) look
>the best. A short clip in rope lanyard is a good idea as well for having
>a bludge, wait, drink, pee etc.
>
>Also commercial via ferrata lanyards often have a different clipping device
>to a crab. These things are easier to "lock" one handed and are made to
>stand impact from all directions unlike a standard screw gate.

+1 for all that. The special steel Via Ferrata karabiners are really easy to get on and off the cable with one hand. I suspect the steel cable would eat your aluminium biner pretty quickly. Also a quickdraw is good to have a bludge on, the lanyard is a bit too long.

ajfclark
21/02/2011
2:24:40 PM
I think they are rated/tested differently too aren't they? Marked with a K to indicated that they're special.
Wendy
21/02/2011
2:37:02 PM
On 21/02/2011 davidn wrote:
>I was off climbing !!
>
>I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees new posts, clicks on the thread,
>goes to the end page, reads whatever's there, then goes on to the next
>one. Yes, it means sometimes out of 5 comments I only read two of the
>new ones. I prefer to term it lazy.

and you can blame firefox for taking you straight to the last page instead of the first new post

ajfclark
21/02/2011
2:53:22 PM
As far as I know if there's been enough replies to start a new page since you last looked, all browsers take you to the last page...
Wendy
21/02/2011
3:27:51 PM
i don't remember ie doing that

ajfclark
21/02/2011
3:32:45 PM
I can't see how it wouldn't. The page the site spits out is exactly the same for all browsers, just what they do with it is different.

kuu
21/02/2011
4:05:58 PM
On 21/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>I can't see how it wouldn't. The page the site spits out is exactly the
>same for all browsers, just what they do with it is different.

Safari consistently takes me to the first page of threads and this is particularly noticeable with the OFFICIAL STOKED thread and FRIDAY FUNNIES.

ajfclark
21/02/2011
4:08:48 PM
if you click the name of the thread you get the first page, >| symbol on the right of the thread name you get the last page...

eg: This thread >|

kuu
21/02/2011
4:31:45 PM
On 21/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>if you click the name of the thread you get the first page, >| symbol on
>the right of the thread name you get the last page...
>

Thanks Andrew, in all the time I've been visiting the Chockstone site I've never thought about clicking that little arrow. That will save me time.

ajfclark
21/02/2011
4:33:24 PM
No problem. I wish it was a little bigger; it's an absolute bastard to click when browsing Chocky on my phone...
pecheur
21/02/2011
4:42:53 PM
On 21/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>No problem. I wish it was a little bigger; it's an absolute bastard to
>click when browsing Chocky on my phone...

+1
Wendy
21/02/2011
4:49:36 PM
Click the new post button Kuu! it's the little green thing at the top of the page, just after "welcome Kuu".

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21/02/2011
5:56:37 PM
On 21/02/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I have factor 2 fallen on a 60cm lanyard of dynamic rope. I blame it for
>my sore kidneys. The level of shock absorbance a short length of dynamic
>rope is minute. I really believe in this circumstance the use of static
>rope would not be noticed. Shock absorbance with rope lanyards in short
>high impact falls comes from knots cinching tight and your body going squishy
>in your harness. I believe in rope access the use of dynamic rope lanyards
>is an unscientific rockclimber hangover. The sliding rope thingys petzal
>and kong (I know others make them but these are the ones I've seen) look
>the best. A short clip in rope lanyard is a good idea as well for having
>a bludge, wait, drink, pee etc.
>
>Also commercial via ferrata lanyards often have a different clipping device
>to a crab. These things are easier to "lock" one handed and are made to
>stand impact from all directions unlike a standard screw gate.

+1
Best info on the thread so far in my opinion.

 Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 56
There are 56 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints