Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: 10mm DYNEX: 60cm (24") Runner. (Open round sling) Great for making "extender" quick-draws. IMO   $10.00
28% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Melbourne (General) (General) (General) [ Melbourne Guide ] 

Author
doncaster rocks

shortman
12/01/2011
10:42:21 PM
anyone know where this" climbing banned" area is? it turns up in the banned areas around melboune in the chockstone guide....maybe some bouldering could be done??
dalai
12/01/2011
11:31:19 PM
Small south facing quarry in the middle of Ruffy Lake Park. Pretty much north down the hill from the corner of Church rd and McCallum rd.

The quarry was primarily used and then documented by the local high school for outdoor education classes (hand drawn guide was published in Argus) till in a seperate incident a child fell out of a tree and his family sued the council. So naturally they decided to ban climbing!

The best of the limited bouldering is on a small block at the left end, which offered a handful of reasonable up problems plus a contrived but pumpy traverse.

The local park rangers used to police the ban very actively, not sure how things would be these days. Any form of climbing was disallowed including bouldering...
dalai
13/01/2011
10:07:30 AM
Note it was nearly 20 years ago when I was marched out of the park so maybe things are a little more relaxed?

I did go to the Docaster council offices at the time and suggested the option of implementing a liability waiver but they weren't interested. Okay spot if you lived around the corner, otherwise there are better spots with better rock and more problems.

shortman
13/01/2011
11:58:38 AM
yeah it aint far from my place....but where are these better places in and around melbourne??
dalai
13/01/2011
1:43:48 PM
Do a search on Melbourne bouldering in this forum...

shortman
13/01/2011
3:04:24 PM
doncaster rocks must be bad then....checked out all the places on here....most of the best spots i've found don't even get a mention....thanks for ur info tho...

BoulderBaby
13/01/2011
7:51:40 PM
Would it be worthwhile trying to access it again, or more so approach the council with wavier idea?
I hate people. Especially people who blame others for their stupidity.

shortman
13/01/2011
8:23:45 PM
On 13/01/2011 Musique wrote:
Would it be worthwhile trying to access it again, or more so approach the council with wavier idea?
I hate people. Especially people who blame others for their stupidity.

How best would one go about this?? Perhaps Ms. Skinner??
dalai
13/01/2011
10:32:02 PM
As much as I'd like access to all climbable rock, there are more important fights the Access officer can be focussed on rather than this small wall IMO. An example of worthy local spot would be Hanging rock - it would be brilliant to get opened again. ;-)

I'd wander in first and have a look for yourself keeping a low profile before bringing attention to bouldering there with the council...

Like I said I used to go there nearly 20 years ago and was around then that the council banned climbing. Perhaps the usual funding cuts means there are less park rangers now? So they may now be busy looking after the park rather than hanging around the quarry waiting for boulders to show up!

shortman
13/01/2011
10:49:20 PM
i'll go down there and have a look....just wouldnt know how to go aboiut approaching the council...if its worth it i'll run it by a few ppl b4 i try....
dalai
13/01/2011
10:56:34 PM
Definitely have a look first before worrying about how to try to organise waivers. It is only just okay...

shortman
14/01/2011
9:32:49 PM
it may have been alright 20 years ago......flaky...covered in moss and the "good" bouldering area is overgrown....also a large section of ivy in the middle of the wall.....however i did walk away with somethin.....two signs from the manningham city council....reading....:

DANGER KEEP OFF - Climbing, Abseiling or any other activities are prohibited on cliff face.

...they come complete with mould....

make me an offer!

shortman
14/01/2011
9:35:42 PM
and ur right...tryin to get access wouldnt be worth it....
dalai
14/01/2011
10:50:20 PM
I did warn you... ;-)

BoulderBaby
14/01/2011
11:35:31 PM
well, all we need is a bushfire* to go through that area, and voila - a clean crag.

*I in no way wish for bushfires at all!!

shortman
14/01/2011
11:50:07 PM
dunno if a fire would even help....smiles.....

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints