Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Set of 11 "Wallnuts" (1 to 11) N/B NEW Anodized colours!!! New "lighter" version. Steve's favourite wired Nuts.  $169.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

 Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 34
Author
rip off merchant

ajfclark
7/03/2011
7:56:24 AM
This thread reminds me of so many on here I couldn't decide which to link to.

Miguel75
7/03/2011
8:02:54 AM
On 7/03/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>This thread reminds me of so many on here I couldn't decide which to link
>to.

That's the fun part about forums; The same 8 topics get rehashed every few months. I'm a dodgy topic rehasher from way back;)


Climboholic
7/03/2011
8:15:44 AM
On 6/03/2011 Musique wrote:
>...
>Have you not noticed how almost all outdoor stores seem to be constantly
>on sale (and there for not making 'full' margins in order to keep business?)
>

That is a good argument against the local retailers, not for!

Local retailers margins are set so that they can have big sales and still be profitable. I find this marketing stratergy unethical.

After working in a gear store I will never again buy climbing gear at full price. I'll either wait for at least 30% off, or buy online. Just look at the price reductions Kathmandu can afford to have during its "sales".


Fish Boy
7/03/2011
2:25:14 PM
snore
kieranl
7/03/2011
3:17:26 PM
On 7/03/2011 Climboholic wrote:
>On 6/03/2011 Musique wrote:
>>...
>After working in a gear store I will never again buy climbing gear at
>full price. I'll either wait for at least 30% off, or buy online. Just
>look at the price reductions Kathmandu can afford to have during its "sales".
Would you buy the "gear" Kathmandu sells at any price?

Post-edit : and Kathmandu, a chain owned by a bunch of sucker share-holders, is not to be compared with stores like Rock Hardware, Arapiles Mountain Shop or Bogong. It costs real money to have goods on the floor so that you can touch the product and that's what I'm paying for when I buy from my local shop.
patto
7/03/2011
6:26:53 PM
Don't bring kathmandu into it. Their prices are highly inflated retail margins when things are not on sale. When thing are 50% off they are reasonable value.

Katmandu's profit margin on the sticker price is over 75%!


Bogong, Arapiles Mountain Shop and the like are regular Australian retail margins on top of inflated distributed prices. Like any retail store they have sales to clear old stock and grab the price concious consumer.

Dutch
7/03/2011
7:26:05 PM
On 7/03/2011 Climboholic wrote:>
>Local retailers margins are set so that they can have big sales and still
>be profitable. I find this marketing stratergy unethical.
>
>After working in a gear store I will never again buy climbing gear at
>full price. I'll either wait for at least 30% off, or buy online. Just
>look at the price reductions Kathmandu can afford to have during its "sales".


Climbaholic - Kathmandu, Mountain Designs, Macpac and other stores that are vertically integrated definately adhere to this marketing strategy and while i dont agree with it, it is here to stay. I think most chockstoners would be aware of this and dont buy anything in these shops unless it is on sale. Kathmandu makes vastly more margin on a sale item than an independent store does at full price. You have to be careful not to lump them all in together.

Having worked in independent gear stores and seen what goes into the running of the store, i can guarantee you that this is not the case for specialist climbing stores. Or for that matter, specialist outdoor gear. There is a reason the big stores like those mentioned above dont sell climbing gear, it doesnt make them any money!!!! You wont find a specialist climbing gear with the latest and greatest gear for 30% off. Most well run shops will use sales as a way to move stock to make way for new season stock or to move discontinued gear.

Furthermore, and this may tie in with the Chris Webb thread, but for the most part, its these specialist climbing stores that are sponsoring climbing comps and climbers and putting back into the climbing community. Its not mega bucks, but they're not multinational behemoths that can stump up big prize money.

Prices for a lot of outdoor gear have come down significantly in price and I'm sure there will be more price reviews on the way. The climbing industry here is not out to screw people! Independent climbing shops only make a modest living and it will always been that way.

When you're trying on that next pair of climbing shoes, think about what goes into getting that pair of shoes to you. Ive often helped people for well over an hour, trying on multiple sizes in multiple styles and brands. Carrying stock in over 13 styles of climbing shoes across three brands is expensive!

Peace Out!

Doulman
9/03/2011
4:57:24 PM
Hey I've bought all my gear from Oz retailers for years at overly inflated prices. When I sent off my $170.00 including postage, Mountain Equipment, the only Sydney store that sells LA Sportiva, was selling the same boot for $270.00. Why should I continue to pay an extra $100.00 when I don't have to. Every expense I have goes up and up and so I will save every dollar wherever I can. If the boots were only $200.00 at the time I would have just bought them but dammed if I am going to continue to subsidise local business from my pocket, why should I have to.

kuu
9/03/2011
5:41:47 PM
On 9/03/2011 Doulman wrote:
>Hey I've bought all my gear from Oz retailers for years at overly inflated
>prices. When I sent off my $170.00 including postage, Mountain Equipment,
>the only Sydney store that sells LA Sportiva, was selling the same boot
>for $270.00. Why should I continue to pay an extra $100.00 when I don't
>have to. Every expense I have goes up and up and so I will save every dollar
>wherever I can. If the boots were only $200.00 at the time I would have
>just bought them but dammed if I am going to continue to subsidise local
>business from my pocket, why should I have to.

Your Original Post said you sent $170 overseas for boots that subsequently didn't arrive.

Does that mean you've subsidised the overseas seller who hasn't delivered what you paid for?
Mountain Equipment
9/03/2011
6:58:32 PM
For the record the price of the La Sportiva Katana is $209. If you are a Mountain Equipment Club member you would get 10% off, bringing them to $188.10. Keep in mind that we have to pay both import duty and GST.
Doulman
9/03/2011
10:28:55 PM
Plus the membership, why do I need to join every store these days in order to get better value, and $209 is not what I paid last time. Anyway not meaning to have a go at your store I have bought a range of gear from you in the past. You must understand though that if the product is available cheaper it is going to be considered by the buyer. That being said I started the thread to warn people off a particular dishonest seller so that others don't get burnt.

ajfclark
9/03/2011
10:32:25 PM
Membership is probably free. Most of these things are as the merchant gets value from knowing who buys what when.
martym
9/03/2011
11:54:47 PM
On 9/03/2011 Mountain Equipment wrote:
>For the record the price of the La Sportiva Katana is $209. If you are
>a Mountain Equipment Club member you would get 10% off, bringing them to
>$188.10. Keep in mind that we have to pay both import duty and GST.

On 9/03/2011 Doulman wrote:
>You must understand though that if the product is available
>cheaper it is going to be considered by the buyer.

Nah dude; you've got ya foot in ya mouth this time!

Miguel75
10/03/2011
12:46:20 AM
Hey doulman, regardless of the cost of shoes in Aus your experience sucks. No-one deserves to have their hard-earned cash taken from them.

I hope you left the eBay store really bad feedback....

 Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 34
There are 34 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints