Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Edelrid: "Ultralight Helmet" (Turquoise) Mid blue .Fits 54 - 60cm Great heavy duty all-rounder. SUPER SPECIAL for a short time only!  $79.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
wanted gear to climb trees.
skegly
12/05/2013
6:23:44 AM
Hi all
I have several large gums hanging over my bush hut which have to go. Been trying to shoot a arrow up for my rope but some old ropes and some old crampons would make it way easier. Any other tree aid gear or ideas would be very appreciated too.
Cheers
Mic

Miguel75
12/05/2013
7:07:26 AM
I have ~35m of an old 10mm rope you could have.
skegly
12/05/2013
7:17:00 AM
Wicked.
I also have a new crag. Its called the woods. There's a great line 25m called 'im a lumber jack and im ok' and another difficult line called ' when I built the hut I didn't want to cut any trees down so I picked a spot between some . Fukn hippy'

I will be in touch

Miguel75
12/05/2013
7:27:50 AM
Sweet! I reckon we could possibly get out one of these weeks;)

rodw
12/05/2013
8:44:14 AM
Amateur tree lopping ..what could possibly go wrong :)

A guy two doors down got a gum tree removed this week , huge sucker around 20m high or so, but I was amazed at the cost.

$700 for an Arborist to to check the tree out and an extra $300 to have the submission made to council to remove it.

$11,000 to have the tree removed, granted he needed to hire a crane to get tree from back yard to the front, but thats not bad money if your in the game for about 7 hours work.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12/05/2013
10:28:20 AM
On 12/05/2013 skegly wrote:
>Hi all
>I have several large gums hanging over my bush hut which have to go.
>Been trying to shoot a arrow up for my rope but some old ropes and some
>old crampons would make it way easier. Any other tree aid gear or ideas
>would be very appreciated too.
>Cheers
>Mic

Although the arrow thing can work well (especially if using proper bow fishing gear), I found it often easier to use a sling shot to fire a sinker on some fishing line over the desired anchor branch-fork. Use the fishing line to haul a thin cheapo nylon line over, then use that to haul a static over. Tie off the static to tree base, and then use jumars to ascend the static...

The job will be a lot easier if the crown is pruned with a hand bow-saw to reduce weight in it before getting into limbs thicker than your thigh. When doing this always start with an undercut (base and sides), until the blade starts to jamB(!), then finish cutting through from the top. If you do not do it this way, then you run the risk of the limb splitting as the 'head' of it falls away; and if you are supported by that limb or attached to it with safety tether then things can get messy...

Bring it down in stages, tying off and lowering anything that would otherwise fall and damage the hut. Make sure your safety lines and yourself are clear of potential swinging limbs as they are severed during this process.

On 12/05/2013 rodw wrote:
>Amateur tree lopping ..what could possibly go wrong :)
Lots. . +1
;-)

>Arborist (snip)

The hardest thing about becoming a professional* is obtaining the good (read correct) gear for the job. For example, the difference between having tree climbing spurs that work and imitations of same is huge.

(*Yeah, yeah, I know, the bureaucracy/accreditation process is killer too!)
timbigot
12/05/2013
10:55:28 AM
Crampons not the way to go, they just don't bite the way they need to. The spurs used are a single point located in the climbers instep are driven with some force, and even then don't always stay put. The basic rig is a harness with side mounted pole strap or flip line to attach oneself between branches via ferrata style and a top rope commonly thrown to successively higher branches that is tied to your harness and to a prussick loop to form a top rope that can be shortened thus self belaying. I have seen the arrow method get people up trees after many attempts if limbs are too far apart to free climb or hand throw rope, but really if getting up is a challenge to you then trying to take down the tree should not be attempted, the take down is the tricky bit. I say this after 22 years on rock and 18 in trees as an arborist, yep sometimes you can make good money but you defiantly earned it. Cutting down large trees is very dangerous, dying is a very real possibility if you get it wrong. Also really easy to drop limbs on said hut making exercise pointless, if you hut is worth protecting from damage so probably are you, so at least get some quotes to see what price you are looking at verses what it might cost you. Cheers Tim
bobic
12/05/2013
11:01:52 AM
Also stay attached by two ropes. It's easy to cut your rope or just stuff up. You wouldn't want to fall on the hut.
f_abe
Online Now
12/05/2013
11:11:56 AM
A word of caution regarding crampons and trees...I had a mate who, upon buying ice climbing gear in preparation for Aconcagua, couldn't wait to try them out, so he started to climb the tree outside his house. Things went a bit pear shaped a mere metre up when, after having swung the ice axes nice and high, he was stretched out too far and couldn't move. Quite a sight for all the motorists driving by, before a low altitude rescue took place.

Eduardo Slabofvic
13/05/2013
10:03:28 AM
On 12/05/2013 rodw wrote:
>Amateur tree lopping ..what could possibly go wrong :)
>
>A guy two doors down got a gum tree removed this week , huge sucker around
> 20m high or so, but I was amazed at the cost.
>
>$700 for an Arborist to to check the tree out and an extra $300 to have
>the submission made to council to remove it.
>
>$11,000 to have the tree removed, granted he needed to hire a crane to
>get tree from back yard to the front, but thats not bad money if your in
>the game for about 7 hours work.

Add to that the fine for illegal clearing of native vegetation, plus the costs of offset planting, and it can get very expensive very quickly.

Duang Daunk
13/05/2013
10:10:19 AM
On 13/05/2013 Edward Oslabofvic wrote:
>Add to that the fine for illegal clearing of native vegetation, plus the
>costs of offset planting, and it can get very expensive very quickly.

Not to mention cost of morning tea cakes, and the cold martinis at end of day?
The way costs keep going up it is little wonder that you tear out guidebook pages for poo paper.

Eduardo Slabofvic
13/05/2013
10:22:13 AM
On 13/05/2013 Duang Daunk wrote:
>On 13/05/2013 Edward Oslabofvic wrote:
>>Add to that the fine for illegal clearing of native vegetation, plus
>the
>>costs of offset planting, and it can get very expensive very quickly.
>
>Not to mention cost of morning tea cakes, and the cold martinis at end
>of day?
>The way costs keep going up it is little wonder that you tear out guidebook
>pages for poo paper.

Not to mention the fabulously expensive consultants you'll need to figure it all out for you

gnaguts
13/05/2013
9:24:19 PM
>wanted gear to climb trees.

I know a bloke with a pet koala that he might lend you.
skegly
20/12/2013
7:21:13 AM
The hut stands! Im still here and will keep warm for years.
tdub
20/12/2013
1:04:55 PM
Im a Melbourne arborist, and I love Castlemaine. Id be happy to come round and hook you up with some gear and advice for your trees.
Im heading out to NZ for some climbing this afternoon, but ill be back from the 5th onwards.
If it can wait till then, my email is treetopthomas@gmail.com
Karl Bromelow
20/12/2013
9:45:33 PM
Nice one Mick. How's the injury?
skegly
21/12/2013
10:59:12 PM
On 20/12/2013 Karl Bromelow wrote:
>Nice one Mick. How's the injury?
Well moving is not helping.

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints