Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: SET of 6 "C4" Cams and 6 matching wire Gates. Camelots sizes .4, .5, .75, 1, 2 & 3 and Nuetrino 6 Pack. SOLD OUT!  $450.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Climb for a Good Cause
JohnK
4/08/2010
2:04:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I am putting together a program of volunteers to take under-privileged kids rock climbing.

The program is likely to run in conjunction with the VCC, and simply be a regular trip that is run every few months with the assistance of volunteers.

If you have a day to spare every few months, and you want to make a difference to the life of others who may be worse off then you, then please PM me for more details.

The first trip will probably run in early Jan.

John K.

jkane
4/08/2010
2:20:47 PM
There used to be a mob in Melbourne called climb for life.

I tried to get involved with them a few years back, but for one reason or another, it didn't happen. Anyone know if they are still going?

Anyway, sounds like a great thing to do for both participants and volunteers. I think the issues that CFL were having was that it was getting hard to get funding through grants because they increasingly had to have hard evidence of the positive outcomes.
JohnK
5/08/2010
1:28:30 PM
>Anyway, sounds like a great thing to do for both participants and volunteers.
> I think the issues that CFL were having was that it was getting hard to
>get funding through grants because they increasingly had to have hard evidence
>of the positive outcomes.

Thanks for that info.

This program will not need any funding as it will be initially run like a VCC trip. If the indoor climbing gyms also want to help we can then take the participants indoor climbing. All that is required is the volunteers.

In terms of positive results, there is a lot to be said about making kids smile, creating a sense of self belief and self accomplishment. If those things are not positive outcomes then I dont know what is, and that's the best thing about climbing.

Will post shortly for people to also donate some kids shoes, harnesses and maybe even a rope.

Thanks for those that are continuing to respond. Still a very small proportion of people when compared to how many have viewed the thread!

John K

jkane
5/08/2010
2:48:01 PM
On 5/08/2010 JohnK wrote:
>In terms of positive results, there is a lot to be said about making kids
>smile, creating a sense of self belief and self accomplishment. If those
>things are not positive outcomes then I dont know what is, and that's the
>best thing about climbing.

Totally agree. I think they needed funding because they were using professional guides/instructors. The government bodies or NGOs or whatever were asking for more than just photos of beaming smiles.

If you don't need funding, it won't be a problem.
SteveH
5/08/2010
4:57:45 PM
Hi John, if you ever plan on taking the kids on a road trip up to NSW, let me know, I have a crew that would love to put in a few days with the youngsters. Steve
mattq
6/08/2010
6:24:44 PM
Hi there, would love to get involved. Can you perhaps send me some more info if there's any.

January would suit me perfect as I return from another 3 month fundraising paddle about that time.

Matt
JohnK
3/09/2010
1:43:17 PM
Bump.....Ok, anyone else interested?

We have our first meeting at the Retreat Hotel, Sydney Rd, Bunswick, at 6:45pm on Monday Sept 20th.

First trip in Jan.

PM me for more details.

John K.
JohnK
21/11/2013
1:33:29 PM
Bump.....

We will be running a trip to Araps at the Feb 1st & 2nd 2014, together with people and kids from Anglicare.

All you will need to do is a working with kids check which is free. In terms of experience level, would expect that you know how to set up top ropes and belay competently as well as having a passion for helping others.

If you want to help set up some top ropes and belay some very excited kids, then PM me for details or email me at enquiries@reachyoureverest.com

John K.

p.s. people that have emailed me or have been involved in the past then expect an email shortly!

shortman
21/11/2013
1:41:50 PM
Grouse John. Good to see this has legs again. Great day's out folks!
jdb
21/11/2013
2:46:10 PM
JohnK,

I don't want to be a kill joy, but you have picked an extremely hot time of the year for Arapiles. You might consider early Autumn instead (unless your dates are set in concrete)

Regards, JohnB
JohnK
21/11/2013
3:52:31 PM
On 21/11/2013 jdb wrote:
>JohnK,
>
>I don't want to be a kill joy, but you have picked an extremely hot time
>of the year for Arapiles. You might consider early Autumn instead (unless
>your dates are set in concrete)
>
>Regards, JohnB

Thanks for the advice - but the dates are set - and we have climbed this time of the year before - Bushrangers is good.

Thanks.

Justcameron
22/11/2013
11:49:15 AM
Who is bringing the public liability insurance? :/
JohnK
22/11/2013
2:49:04 PM
On 22/11/2013 Justcameron wrote:
>Who is bringing the public liability insurance? :/

This has been taken care off - are you asking because you are interested in volunteering?
Justcameron
22/11/2013
11:50:56 PM
Nah sorry, no can do and I already do plenty of volunteering for Scouts :)

Sabu
23/11/2013
9:01:38 PM
John I'm interested in future although this time probably wont be ideal as I have a few deadlines around then.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints