Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: Viper Size S (2013 model as shown) Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 64-79cm Legs: 45-59cm   $89.00
32% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 72
Author
Naming rights on FAs (aka The Law of Ming)

sliamese
25/07/2006
7:17:02 PM
On 24/07/2006 Paulie wrote:
>If you want to lead it so badly, then drop a static down the line with
>fig 8 knots in it and lead it from there...

would it be possible to have an 'over-knotted' route?? :)

(alpine butterflies are heaps better/safer)

Eduardo Slabofvic
25/07/2006
9:44:31 PM
On 25/07/2006 sliamese wrote:
>would it be possible to have an 'over-knotted' route?? :)
>
>(alpine butterflies are heaps better/safer)

It would totally depend on if it was a sport knotted route or a trad knotted route, and watch out for those
god damn retro-knotters.

Paulie
25/07/2006
10:27:54 PM
On 25/07/2006 Ronny wrote:
>If TRing a route does not count as the first ascent (the point that BL
>is trying to make) then this misses the point.

How does climbing the route in any form 'not count' as an ascent when you've still done exactly the same moves as someone who's led it?

>I think this BS about the first ascentionist having to give 'permission'
>like they own the rock is crap to begin with (its not a free for all, but
>the 1st ascentionist should not have a power of veto),

On this note, I'd just like to ask how many 1st ascents you've done mate and how many hours you've sweated away and how much money you've used to develop routes for others to enjoy?

Paul
drdeviousii
25/07/2006
10:49:11 PM

>On this note, I'd just like to ask how many 1st ascents you've done mate
>and how many hours you've sweated away and how much money you've used to
>develop routes for others to enjoy?
>

hmmm, I think you'll find he's done a few things at Moonarie.

DaCrux
25/07/2006
11:51:08 PM
Maybe instead of renaming routes “first soloists” should join the
Mojo Club

Paulie
26/07/2006
1:52:12 AM
On 25/07/2006 drdeviousii wrote:
>hmmm, I think you'll find he's done a few things at Moonarie.

Then he should know where I'm coming from.

Everyone's different, but personally I'd be offended if someone changed the name of a route of mine. If I'd agreed to it then fine, but not until I'd been asked. IMO, if you've done the hard yards (and anyone who's put up a new route will know that it's bloody hard work) then you at least reserve the right to name the route.

Paul

Paulie
26/07/2006
1:56:35 AM
On 25/07/2006 DaCrux wrote:
>Maybe instead of renaming routes “first soloists” should join the
>Mojo Club

LOL, that's pretty cool actually :)
Ronny
26/07/2006
9:23:47 AM
On 25/07/2006 Paulie wrote:
>On 25/07/2006 Ronny wrote:
>>If TRing a route does not count as the first ascent (the point that BL
>>is trying to make) then this misses the point.
>
>How does climbing the route in any form 'not count' as an ascent when
>you've still done exactly the same moves as someone who's led it?

What about if you dogged the route but 'did exactly the same moves'? what about if you threw a rope down and jumared the line? what if you touched all the same holds as someone who lead it on the way through? what if you set up a pulley system and got your heavy mate to haul you up, but still moved from the same starting position to the same finishing position as someone who lead it?...

Where do you draw the line?

There is no "Bright Line" distinction here. BoardLord's ("BL") argument depends on drawing an arbitrary line at leading - you can argue for an arbitrary line anywhere else, but it will still be arbitrary.

>>I think this BS about the first ascentionist having to give 'permission'
>>like they own the rock is crap to begin with (its not a free for all,
>but
>>the 1st ascentionist should not have a power of veto),
>
>On this note, I'd just like to ask how many 1st ascents you've done mate
>and how many hours you've sweated away and how much money you've used to
>develop routes for others to enjoy?

I'm not getting into a 'my dick is bigger' argument.

If you read back up you'll see that this was in reply to your comment about BOLTING post TR ascent, not about NAMING.

Ronny
26/07/2006
9:24:41 AM
On 26/07/2006 Paulie wrote:
>On 25/07/2006 DaCrux wrote:
>>Maybe instead of renaming routes “first soloists” should join the
>>Mojo Club
>
>LOL, that's pretty cool actually :)

Hehe, least we agree about something...

Paulie
26/07/2006
10:20:01 AM
On 26/07/2006 Ronny wrote:
>If you read back up you'll see that this was in reply to your comment about BOLTING post TR ascent, not about NAMING.

Ok, I have no issues with that unless it will hinder climbing due to m/ment plans or have a deleterious effect on any hard earned r/ship between the VCC (or similar), local climbers and ParksVic (or similar) in that given location.

Paul

sliamese
26/07/2006
4:54:33 PM

>Where do you draw the line?

common sense. unfortunately its no longer common...
Nottobetaken
26/07/2006
5:02:01 PM
On 25/07/2006 DaCrux wrote:
>Maybe instead of renaming routes “first soloists” should join the
>Mojo Club

Does an 10-year-olds Santa Clause suit qualify? If it does, then 3 out of 4 aint bad...

 Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 72
There are 72 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints