Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Austrialpin: OVALO Straight Gate. Strength: 25 10 8kN (Heavy Duty) N/B Perfect for Racking wired Nuts? IMO   $12.00
45% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
Author
"We have quite enough national parks"
bones
6/03/2014
11:26:18 AM
From sumofus.org

Last night, Tony Abbott told the timber industry that too much native forest was "locked up" in national parks -- and that logging companies were the "ultimate conservationists".

Abbott's new forests policy? No more national parks, the destruction of Tasmania's World Heritage listed forests -- and an announcement that our pristine wilderness is now "open for business". This is corporate power gone crazy: a Prime Minister bowing to the extreme policy of an industry lobby, instead of listening to the public. We have to show him that we won't just stand back and accept this.

Tell Tony Abbott now: keep your hands off our national parks! Commit to protect our forests now.

These were just some of Tony Abbott's words last night: "We have quite enough national parks. We have quite enough locked up forests already. In fact, in an important respect, we have too much locked up forest."

Abbott said that "the environment is meant for man", and slammed the "green ideology" that had lead to the protection of Australia's forests. Abbot is now forming a new body to "advise" on forest policy -- headed by the national director of a forestry industry lobby. This is what happens when you put corporations in the driving seat of your forests policy.

Thanks to donations by thousands of SumOfUs members, we're already working with the Wilderness Society and others to take out public ads calling on Environment Greg Hunt and Tony Abbott to commit to save Tasmania's forests. But we need to speak out together every time Abbott and his cronies make a statement like this -- to show them that the public just wont' accept this outrageous behaviour. It's up to us to make sure the political costs to this sort of industry-sanctioned destruction are too high.

Sign the urgent petition now to tell Tony Abbott not to destroy our national parks.

Sign the urgent petition now to tell Tony Abbott not to destroy our national parks


Thanks for all that you do,

Paul, and the rest of us.

sbm
6/03/2014
1:38:45 PM
Another reminder to March in March. It's next weekend.

No use bitching on the internet or even round the campfire, may as well bitch in public.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
6/03/2014
1:54:27 PM
Signed the petition.
Bloody beauty! ~> I hope it works.
I have been around a while, and the brazenness with which our 'political masters' supposedly-rule us, ... with their own agenda (across all spectrums of societal-issues), continually stuns me in semi-recent, and more particularly, recent times.

sbm... Where are the marches in March?

Wendy
6/03/2014
2:18:31 PM
Try reading the whole speech. It's a sickening suckfest and the paragraph about shipwrights sounds like he's addressing a preschool. He has 39 spin doctors and they write crap like this?

https://www.liberal.org.au/latest-news/2014/03/05/prime-minister-address-2014-forestworks-dinner-canberra
james
6/03/2014
3:47:13 PM
I read somewhere that the areas in Tas they want to remove from world heritage status, were only added fairly recently, & they want to take them out because these areas that have been logged already. Is this actually true?

PS: not trying to pick sides or say its ok or not, I'm just curious if anyone knows more than the regular media & internet drivel.
bones
6/03/2014
4:00:09 PM
On 6/03/2014 james wrote:
>I read somewhere that the areas in Tas they want to remove from world heritage
>status, were only added fairly recently, & they want to take them out because
>these areas that have been logged already. Is this actually true?

That's what I heard. I think it's in the Tarkine?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
6/03/2014
4:42:27 PM
On 6/03/2014 bones wrote:
>That's what I heard. I think it's in the Tarkine?

I have no idea, but do know that the Tarkine is more at risk of the proposed mining than any logging...

nmonteith
6/03/2014
5:03:47 PM
Remember that the Grampians was logged before it became a National Park (in the 80s). In fact most National Parks on the mainland have extensive logging history. The roads we drive on to access most obscure crags are ex-logging roads.
ithomas
6/03/2014
6:18:17 PM
What exactly is your point Neil?

nmonteith
6/03/2014
6:39:31 PM
That Abbott saying we should revoke World Heritage and National Park status because an area has been logged is a slippery slope that applies to many of our most famous National Parks. Outrages to think an area set aside for conservation can be reversed. It reminds us all that nothing can be taken for granted.
ithomas
6/03/2014
7:04:19 PM
Thank goodness Neil. Your original message could be taken in entirely the opposite way by super cynics such as myself. Cheers.
Wendy
6/03/2014
8:26:59 PM
On 6/03/2014 james wrote:
>I read somewhere that the areas in Tas they want to remove from world heritage
>status, were only added fairly recently, & they want to take them out because
>these areas that have been logged already. Is this actually true?
>
>PS: not trying to pick sides or say its ok or not, I'm just curious if
>anyone knows more than the regular media & internet drivel.

Bob Brown's view on the matter:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/06/tasmania-a-death-warrant-against-pristine-forests-abbott-has-never-seen?view=desktop

He says about 10% of the area they want revoked has been logged and mostly, it's intact forest
martym
6/03/2014
11:48:09 PM
What more could you want??
"One Term Tony" is going around the country making unsubstantiated, ill-conceived and inconsequential speeches to create more outrage than in an election year. Come on Tony - just piss off the Bikey Gangs next...

Of course, how he ever got elected in the first place is scary to consider...
james
7/03/2014
3:02:30 AM
On 6/03/2014 nmonteith wrote:
>That Abbott saying we should revoke World Heritage and National Park status
>because an area has been logged is a slippery slope that applies to many
>of our most famous National Parks. Outrages to think an area set aside
>for conservation can be reversed. It reminds us all that nothing can be
>taken for granted.

slippery slope for sure, but there is a difference between National Park & world heritage? ie not all national parks are heritage listed?

Setting aside national parks then doing nothing else to manage them seems silly, the parks & areas do need to be managed IMO. eg: so many areas in Qld are over-run by lantana, all the feral goats in the Grampians. National parks over-run by weeds & feral animals seems like waste.

nmonteith
7/03/2014
8:37:11 AM
I'm sure rangers would love to manage their parks better but with meager budgets they can't always keep on top of pests. Most National Parks are unique - they protect a certain habitat that is the only one of its kind left. As humans we managed to chop down or dig up the other previous examples. Depressing really.
Wendy
7/03/2014
9:29:11 AM
I'm pretty sure there's some hefty criteria and quite a process to get something declared World Hertiage. Of course, Tony thinks he knows better that the World Heritage committees assessing these things.
martym
7/03/2014
10:41:57 AM
On 7/03/2014 james wrote:
>On 6/03/2014 nmonteith wrote:
>>That Abbott saying we should revoke World Heritage and National Park
>status
>>because an area has been logged is a slippery slope that applies to many
>>of our most famous National Parks. Outrages to think an area set aside
>>for conservation can be reversed. It reminds us all that nothing can
>be
>>taken for granted.
>
>slippery slope for sure, but there is a difference between National Park
>& world heritage? ie not all national parks are heritage listed?
>
>Setting aside national parks then doing nothing else to manage them seems
>silly, the parks & areas do need to be managed IMO. eg: so many areas
>in Qld are over-run by lantana, all the feral goats in the Grampians.
>National parks over-run by weeds & feral animals seems like waste.

World Heritage status is like a product endorsement - it identifies something has of incredible significance - and is basically a drawcard for tourism; investment & a pat on the back for the country. Hence - if you decide to "withdraw" (which I've never heard of anyone doing!) your status - you lose that endorsement... it's not legislated - it's like giving back a gold medal!
I'm sure there are instances where it's been removed because the country neglected something, but I doubt a country has actively said "please remove it so we CAN neglect it..."

National Parks are actually managed by state governments - usually their environment departments. In some cases, eg. the Blue Mountains, there are many rangers and support staff with a (small) budget to spend on track care, research and maintenance. Most probably have one ranger allocated with a central office responsible for 5 or 6. There is always pressure from industry to expand what you can / can't do in a National Park, there's no clear line. eg. some you to pay to enter, some have hotels in them, some have areas you can't enter at all.
Marine Parks are a classic example of how difficult it can be to manage!
bjorniam
7/03/2014
11:16:35 AM
It's behind a registration-wall but yesterday's 'first dog on the moon' sums this infuriating issue up nicely!

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/03/06/then-get-this-i-actually-said-loggers-are-the-ultimate-conservationists-ahahahahahahah/
Reluctant
7/03/2014
12:33:59 PM
Blah blah bleating hearts. Save some money and buy some land and turn it into a park for conservation yourself. Whoops I forgot your too busy living off the public purse and complaining.
Prefer logging of replanted natives than pine plantations any day.
bones
7/03/2014
1:51:16 PM
On 7/03/2014 Reluctant wrote:
>Whoops I forgot your too busy living
>off the public purse and complaining.

I do get the impression that for some reason having money and an environmental conscience together are an increasingly rare combination, but I assure you I contribute more than my fair share to the public purse.

>Prefer logging of replanted natives than pine plantations any day.

The Tarkine is apparently the largest tract of remaining temperate rainforest in Australia and includes old growth forest.

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
There are 21 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints