Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Omega Pacific: "Jake" HMS 3S TriLock 12mm - 23 8 10 kN (Triple action!) N/B Only 2 left!  $20.00
43% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Vertical Life 7
mikllaw
7/12/2013
12:41:26 PM
Did we have to get rid of paper to get a great magazine?

(an overstatement wrapped up in a rhetorical question really, there were some very good mags {Crux and Climb} many great issues of Rock, Screamer, Splat, The Bolt, Australian Climber, Thrutch, Routed in the past)

Despite the lack of paper, this issue of Vertical Life is great, particularly the celebration of 50 years of Arapiles.

People seem to do a better job when they write for love (free).

Is there any way I can use the pdf to get a bound copy with good printing?
ademmert
8/12/2013
3:10:56 AM
I must say I prefer the print as well!!
I've printed nearly all except the last 2 (as I've been away) and they are getting better and better to print.

Just printed on the work Printer ;)
Damo666
9/12/2013
9:41:04 AM
On 7/12/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>
>
>People seem to do a better job when they write for love (free).
>

And how long do you think that can last Mike, in any form, in any industry, anywhere? Only certain things can be written for free, by certain people, a certain number of times. It's no base on which to create lasting quality.

So contributors have to write for free, photographers contribute images for free and Ross, Simon and co have to work for 'free', all so Australian climbers can get a magazine for 'free'? Because they don't want to pay for anything, because they're used to getting so much for 'free'?

Nothing is free. Someone pays, in some way, at some time, somewhere down the line, whether they realise it or not.

Vertical Life is a great piece of work and if they can somehow find a way to print some version of it I hope people will pay something for it. I will.

If not, the result will just be a morass of half-assed blogs, Facebook posts, sponsor releases and random unedited spray here and elsewhere. All those things will carry on regardless, but that doesn't mean that as a community - if you/we believe such things exist - we can't support something better.

cruze
9/12/2013
11:12:37 AM
Even in my time climbing I have seen a distinct progression of climbing inexorably towards an equipment driven activity undertaken by the educated, affluent "middle-class" (for want of a better stereotype). I don't know whether this has coincided with an AU economy that has been pulled through the GFC by a coincidental mining boom, and its associated over-inflated AUD.

Rather than witness the continued sponsorship of pseudo-elite athletes in the sport, I reckon sponsors should look to the grassroots of the activity - namely the psyched weekend warrior covered so well by Vertical Life and pay the true cost of advertising to the consumers that pay for all the latests and greatests.
dcarson
9/12/2013
11:16:42 AM
You can support Ross and Simon right now by subscribing to Vertical Life on either the iPad or Kindle Fire (of course you need to own one).

I am sure they would appreciate your support and the more people that support them the more likely it is that Vertical Life will stay around for a long time.
mikllaw
9/12/2013
1:17:09 PM
On 9/12/2013 Damo666 wrote:
>....so Australian climbers can get a magazine for 'free'?

I should have made myself clear, I think we should pay for VL, it's the only sustainable route.

I still think that the best articles are by keen lunatics.
rolsen1
10/12/2013
5:58:35 PM
On 9/12/2013 Damo666 wrote:
>On 7/12/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>>
>>
>>People seem to do a better job when they write for love (free).
>>
>
>And how long do you think that can last Mike, in any form, in any industry,
>anywhere? Only certain things can be written for free, by certain people,
>a certain number of times. It's no base on which to create lasting quality.
>
>So contributors have to write for free, photographers contribute images
>for free and Ross, Simon and co have to work for 'free', all so Australian
>climbers can get a magazine for 'free'? Because they don't want to pay
>for anything, because they're used to getting so much for 'free'?
>
>Nothing is free. Someone pays, in some way, at some time, somewhere down
>the line, whether they realise it or not.
>
>Vertical Life is a great piece of work and if they can somehow find a
>way to print some version of it I hope people will pay something for it.
>I will.
>
>If not, the result will just be a morass of half-assed blogs, Facebook
>posts, sponsor releases and random unedited spray here and elsewhere. All
>those things will carry on regardless, but that doesn't mean that as a
>community - if you/we believe such things exist - we can't support something
>better.
>

I must admit I kind of like what we have now.... those who can and want do what they do, which probably describes what went on before.

Neil
12/12/2013
10:42:23 AM
Some more worthwhile internet reading for the holidays:

http://californiaclimbermagazine.com/

ehestigoni
12/12/2013
8:24:43 PM

>Vertical Life is a great piece of work and if they can somehow find a way to print some version of it I hope people will pay something for it. I will.

I wouldn't mind paying for a nice printed version either...

Andrew_M
13/12/2013
7:04:05 AM
I don't want a dead tree version but I'd pay for an android one. Through amazon it only seems to work on actual kindle devices.

ajfclark
13/12/2013
9:05:18 AM
On 13/12/2013 Andrew_M wrote:
>I don't want a dead tree version but I'd pay for an android one. Through amazon it only seems to work on actual kindle devices.

At the moment, I upload the PDF to a google books account so I can read it on my android tablet. I do wonder how much work it'd be to get it into google newsstand or something so that it's more accessible to android users.
Damo666
13/12/2013
9:21:02 AM
On 13/12/2013 ajfclark wrote:
>On 13/12/2013 Andrew_M wrote:
>> I do wonder how much work it'd be to get it into
>google newsstand or something so that it's more accessible to android users.

Re: making multiple formats for multiple devices/platforms. This article is a bit long but very interesting and has been widely circulated. It's mostly for media types, about media, but one of the points is that they found directing magazine resources toward an Android version was wildly unsuccessful.

http://mumbrella.com.au/failure-encore-weekly-tablet-app-weve-learned-192611
Cam McKenzie
13/12/2013
10:16:03 AM
On 13/12/2013 Damo666 wrote:

>Re: making multiple formats for multiple devices/platforms. This article
>is a bit long but very interesting and has been widely circulated. It's
>mostly for media types, about media, but one of the points is that they
>found directing magazine resources toward an Android version was wildly
>unsuccessful.
>
>http://mumbrella.com.au/failure-encore-weekly-tablet-app-weve-learned-192611

This seems to be a common theme with Android. The same applications sell infinitely more copies on iOS. Not sure why this is. Maybe because it's a hell of a lot easier to pirate stuff on Android (don't need to root your phone / tablet)? Maybe it's because Android users are tight arses?

ryguy
13/12/2013
2:30:11 PM
I like the free PDF version. I don't have an iPad and can't be bothered to try and read VL on my iPhone, but I subscribed through iTunes just to punch money to the fellas writing it.

However I'd rather not let Apple or Amazon take a cut of the revenue for a service I don't end up using.
It'd be good to see a direct donation link on the VL site. PayPal works well (yeah even though PP takes a small % cut) It'd likely draw more revenue than the camp fees box at the pines.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13/12/2013
2:55:57 PM
I like print too, ... but that goes with dinosaurs doesn't it ... heh, heh. heh.

How does the subscription thing work when it is free for viewing online?

If subscription keeps it alive-ongoing, then I am up for it.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints