Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Beal: "FLYER" 10.20mm x 60M. (CLASSIC - Std)- Assorted sheath colours. ORANGE pictured. Weight/mtr - 65 gms. UIAA Falls - 10. Impact Force - 7.4 kN FREE display bag & groundsheet inc'. Email Steve with colour choice - Green in stock...  $229.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Is there a secret Rock mag?
mikllaw
14/11/2013
7:12:23 PM
I have bunch of early Rock magazines and was wondering if I had the set, there are gaps in years and numbers which are bit odd. The ones between 3 and 10 weren't numbered (my guesses are in brackets), and despite it being yearly, there doesn't seem to be mags for 81 or 82:-

Date Number
1978 1
1979 2
1980 3
1983 (4)
1884 (5)
1985 (6)
1986 (7)
1987 (8)
1988 (9)
1989 10

Any ideas?
Dr Nick
14/11/2013
7:39:57 PM
Your mentor, AFC, had a couple of older editions last time I was at his place. That was ages ago, but it's not like he'd chucked them out after mumblety years, so another mumblety years shouldn't make a difference. Might be worth giving him a call. My collection starts at '85, then '87, so I can't help you directly.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
14/11/2013
10:34:08 PM
On 14/11/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>Any ideas?

Didn't some of the early issues have advert sheets for back issues? If so, then they might delineate what years they came out in?

Jan -Jun 1989 was issue #10 and that was the first year it went 6 monthly (ie Jul-dec 1989 was issue #11), ... so work backwards from there... which makes issue #4 1983; so I assume the following, (as they were annual at that time?), ...
#3 = 1982
#2 = 1981
#1 = 1980

prb
15/11/2013
12:33:28 AM
I quote from the editorial of Rock #10:

"Rock first appeared in 1978. I edited it for the then publisher, the VCC...I edited further (black-and-white) editions for the VCC in 1979 and 1980, again on a voluntary basis. In 1981, I founded Wild and was unable to also work on Rock. No issues appeared in that or the following year. Rock reappeared in 1983 with full-colour photographs. I edited and published it, on a commercial basis, for the VCC. Wild Publications subsequently purchased Rock in 1984 from the VCC. It has been published, in full colour, for each year since."

Chris Baxter
mikllaw
15/11/2013
5:55:06 AM
On 15/11/2013 prb wrote:
>I quote from the editorial of Rock #10:...

Thanks, I hadn't got around to reading that as I was reading of sexual misadventures in Screamer. All makes sense now.
kieranl
15/11/2013
8:48:22 AM
When the VCC sold Rock to Chris Baxter we had a meeting with Chris where the details were thrashed out. Finally it was all signed, sealed and delivered, Then Keith Egerton said : "Now what about the back-issues?"
I thought Chris was going to have apoplexic attack for a moment.. In the end he accepted that he had forgotten to wrap them up in the deal and he paid a good price for the back-issues which was, in retrospect, one of the better deals he did as he sold them off for quite a lot more over time.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints