Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond "STOPPER" Set. (Sizes 4 to 13) - 10 pieces. Comes with a "free" karabiner for racking.   $109.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Why are Victorians so cool; at least Queen Vic was
mikllaw
11/07/2013
8:02:56 PM
I have always wondered about the fact that Victorian climbers are much safer and competent (as a wild generalisation), I've always thought that it was because of the trad-factor. But reading Jared Diamond "The world until yesterday" he talks about endless campsite discussions of epics and accidents.

We don't have campfires in NSW (much), it's a daytripping convenience state. I probably learnt as much from other epics as from my own, and poor modern sports climbers don't even have decent epics- how will they ever learn?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11/07/2013
8:25:39 PM
On 11/07/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>I have always wondered about the fact that Victorian climbers are much
>safer and competent (as a wild generalisation), I've always thought that
>it was because of the trad-factor. But reading Jared Diamond "The world
>until yesterday" he talks about endless campsite discussions of epics and
>accidents.
>
>We don't have campfires in NSW (much), it's a daytripping convenience
>state. I probably learnt as much from other epics as from my own, and poor
>modern sports climbers don't even have decent epics- how will they ever
>learn?

From state-based internet slanging matches discussions?
;-)

It isn't for the fact that you can't have campfires and discussions in NSW, just take the Wolgan, or 'Bungles for starters... It is probably more to do with a greater number of climbers getting into the game in NSW through the gym door!

kieranl
11/07/2013
9:20:24 PM
I suspect that it has more to do with Sydney being blessed by having vast amounts of climbable rock within the commuter-sphere and being cursed by how soft it all is.
Conversely in Vic there's very little rock easily accessible to city-dwellers and the attractive climbing areas some hours away have mostly good rock.
So lots of climbers and soft rock versus fewer climbers and good rock seems to me to be a possible predictor of accident rates. There may be a social factor as well but it's hard to know how much weight that carries.

Cool Hand Lock
12/07/2013
7:41:46 AM
On 11/07/2013 kieranl wrote:
>I suspect that it has more to do with Sydney being blessed by having vast
>amounts of climbable rock within the commuter-sphere

Any idiot can drive 15mins to a cliff and jump on something that will kill you. If you have to drive 4 hours to a cliff, your going to be a bit more serious about it.
martym
Online Now
12/07/2013
12:42:25 PM
>safer and competent (as a wild generalisation),

Hang on is Safer & Competent "cool" these days?

grantoss
12/07/2013
12:48:01 PM
I've thougt the same thing about tassie climbers, they all seem hard as nails

Its gotta be the lack on shipley sytle consumer cliffs
mikllaw
12/07/2013
12:57:23 PM
well, obviously climbing trad and multipitch gives you a lot more skills, and oportunities for bad judgement.

My question was how much the campfire culture in Victoria also adds to this, most Sydney climbing is day trips
ademmert
12/07/2013
1:09:45 PM
On 12/07/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>well, obviously climbing trad and multipitch gives you a lot more skills,
>and oportunities for bad judgement.
>
>My question was how much the campfire culture in Victoria also adds to
>this, most Sydney climbing is day trips

I believe the campfire discussion add loads, I'm always listening out for these stories epic or not to learn and try and avoid the same situation!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12/07/2013
2:04:37 PM
On 12/07/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>well, obviously climbing trad and multipitch gives you a lot more skills,
>and oportunities for bad judgement. My question was how much the campfire culture in Victoria also adds to this, most Sydney climbing is day trips

Great fashion judgement being displayed at the Serpentine 20th anniversary!

Campfire culture judgements indeed!

Heh x3

kieranl
12/07/2013
2:54:34 PM
Oh yes, lots of judgement enhancer was consumed around the campfire.

Ashfall tuff
12/07/2013
5:33:23 PM
What a load of rock! It just no-one knows sandbagging quite like Victorians
rolsen1
13/07/2013
12:43:19 AM
>safer and competent (as a wild generalisation), I've always thought that
>it was because of the trad-factor. But reading Jared Diamond "The world
>until yesterday" he talks about endless campsite discussions of epics and
>accidents.
>
>We don't have campfires in NSW (much), it's a daytripping convenience
>state. I probably learnt as much from other epics as from my own, and poor
>modern sports climbers don't even have decent epics- how will they ever
>learn?

I think you're totally right about the campfire culture and the importance of the sense making conversations that happen around them. There is also plenty of time during those four hour car trips as well. I also wonder whether the onsight multi-pitch trad experience is more of a shared experience as thus more conducive to shared reflection than red-point sport climbing which might be more about individual performance?

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints