Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: 120cm Nylon Runner. (Open sewn sling) 18mm wide nylon. Assorted colours. Awesome value IMO.   $8.50
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Sweet Dreams 50th Anniversary Sublime Pt 21st July

Macciza
5/07/2013
12:07:05 AM
High all,
Everyone is invited to an adhoc celebration of the classic climb, Sweet Dreams, when it turns 50 later this month . . .
A DIY/BYO get together type affair . .. Champagne breakfast on the route? BBQ lunch at the shed? Evening drinks at the top of the route?
Cut a celebratory lap in whatever fashion takes your fancy - Old school, new school, no school . . .
Any one up for a volleys and waist belay - in fact any one got an old No 4 nylon or 1/2" Perlon??

Other ideas welcome, hopefully the Sydney Rockies will get on board as well. And hopefully BA will be able to attend on the day . . .

It is also coming up to the 50th for the 'Rock Climbs in N.S.W' guidebook, the first? Aus climbing guide.

Just thought I would put it out there for those who have an interest in the fine history of Australian climbing and to mark it in someway for the future climbing generations . ..

Cheers
MM
BA
5/07/2013
11:27:18 AM
On 5/07/2013 Macciza wrote:

>Any one up for a volleys and waist belay - in fact any one got an old
>No 4 nylon or 1/2" Perlon??
>
>Other ideas welcome, hopefully the Sydney Rockies will get on board as
>well. And hopefully BA will be able to attend on the day . . .

Sorry, my No 4 rope was retired after using it to lift the engine (and gearbox and clutch) out of my Austin 1800. And on that date I will be starting a trip into the wilds of FNQ.

My copy of that guide is in a sorry state after mixing with the dirt that lived in the boot of the car met with the water that leaked in. It's still usable but it is not in "excellent" condition.

And in November this year it is the 50th anniversary of the first white persons ascent of a rock face at Mount Arapiles. I should be able to make that one, I might even be able to make it up the first recorded climb :-)

Macciza
6/07/2013
11:33:34 PM
No worries
I missed the SRC meeting and it seems there may be other plans afoot for that weekend anyway, so hoping they may be swayed to the Sublime experience . . .

Pity about the rope but others seem to be into the idea in someway so it should end up a fun day hopefully ...

I haveSRC PDF versions of yours for the basic info the climbs there and also Johns for the more recent stuff.

November could be a plan as we'll, have fun getting lost in FNQ.

Cers
MM

Macciza
10/07/2013
11:31:10 PM
Also Knights Mare sneaks in with its 50th this Sat 13th, for anyone interested . . .

Have had a little look and clean of some stuff so other classics and even new route possibilities may be available on the Sweet Dreams weekend . . .

Cheers
MM
mikllaw
11/07/2013
7:23:49 AM
It's not a good climb, or a significant one, why not remember the 60th anniversary of Original route on Mt Banks instead?

kuu
23/07/2013
1:54:22 PM
Trip Report ?

Macciza
23/07/2013
3:42:02 PM
It's not a 'bad' climb, at least by modern standards of having ringbolts and seeing quite a few repeats, etc
Or a significant one, well it would seem to be the final climbing before 'THE ROCK-CLIMBS OF N.S.W.' (sic) was written, which I guess we should celebrate tomorrow, 24th July. Well worth a read for a a historical context to the areas. Its also often a gymbies intro to multipitching etc
Why not remember the 60th anniversary of Original route on Mt Banks instead? I had marked its 50th, but I guess it's fallen out of favour these days, and we've missed it anyway now . . .

Duang Daunk
Online Now
23/07/2013
4:00:05 PM
On 23/07/2013 Macciza wrote:
>It's not a 'bad' climb, at least by modern standards of having ringbolts
>and seeing quite a few repeats, etc
>Or a significant one, well it would seem to be the final climbing before
>'THE ROCK-CLIMBS OF N.S.W.' (sic) was written, which I guess we should
>celebrate tomorrow, 24th July. Well worth a read for a a historical context
>to the areas. Its also often a gymbies intro to multipitching etc
>Why not remember the 60th anniversary of Original route on Mt Banks instead?
>I had marked its 50th, but I guess it's fallen out of favour these days,
>and we've missed it anyway now . . .

Just don't go missing, yourself, . . . or at least organise for someone to feed your cat if you do.

Macciza
23/07/2013
4:15:03 PM
On 23/07/2013 kuu wrote:
>Trip Report ?

Well, various stuff kinda got in the way, family, new grandchild etc . . .
I did manage to get up there in the afternoon to an empty carpark, apart from the revolving tourists, and an Emergency Comms Base Station who appeared to be packing up . . .
Conditions were almost perfect - apart from it being freezing and blowing a gale; it wasn't snowing at least . . .
I headed down to the shelter and had a quick celebratory toke, offering toasts to ghosts of climbers past, until they too were blown away . .. .

Awaking from my reverie I realised I was alone, and that the climbing cavalry weren't coming to rescue me - what should I do?
Ultimately I headed down and soloed the first two pitches and had a quick toke, to evaluate conditions . . . which were almost perfect (see above) except for my approach shoes which really aren't worn in quite yet so I decided to bail, and down climbed . . .
Walked back along the cliff looking at a few other trad possibilities, old and new, before heading out. . .

So all in all, nothing too serious, a bit of fun, further plans inspired . .

PS Anyone interested in an oldtime trad classic day at Sublime and we climb all the old routes? Several thousand feet of climbing at a guess?

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints