Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: DMM "Bug". (Anodised GREY) Great all-rounder with exceptional friction. IMO)   $15.00
40% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
2013 Hardrock Lead Comp!!
Sammy.J
29/04/2013
6:59:15 PM
Next Saturday Hard Rock Nunawading is hosting the 2013 State Titles, and we should all be involved in one way or another!! We all had a great time at the Lead Comp late last year, and Hardrock haven't received the support from the climbing community as they had hoped. Registration Closes on the 1st of May so get all your climbing bum mates to register or just rock up to the event (no pun intended) and have an awesome time!!

Don't forget there is around $7000 worth of prizes on offer!!!

See you guys at the comp!!
JDB
30/04/2013
8:26:52 AM
I thought Chockstone blocked junker mail
technogeekery
30/04/2013
9:35:37 AM
On 30/04/2013 JDB wrote:
>I thought Chockstone blocked junker mail

Yeah, can't have people posting info about a climbing comp on a climbing website, can we?
sammy.j
30/04/2013
10:21:44 AM
*Ba dum Tiss*

ambyeok
30/04/2013
1:36:33 PM
How about a route setting comp and you hire the winner?

Climboholic
30/04/2013
9:25:48 PM
I tend to agree with JDB. The climbing community is not synonymous with indoor competition climbing. My impression of the demographic on chockstone is frustrated, experienced climbers lamenting the decline of climbing. Not the type of people who will take spam on gym comps well.

I say, let the people who got into climbing with competative motivations, stay in the gym. Hopefully it will be enough to stop them from mutating into drill wielding convenience climbers and hence stem the tide of success before style and arrogance before adventure.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
1/05/2013
8:50:11 AM
On 29/04/2013 Sammy.J wrote:
>Next Saturday Hard Rock Nunawading is hosting the 2013 State Titles, and
>we should all be involved in one way or another!!

OK, I'll bite.
Why should we all be involved in it?

>We all had a great time at the Lead Comp late last year, and Hardrock haven't received the support from the climbing community as they had hoped.

Why do you think that might be?


>Registration Closes on the 1st of May so get all your climbing bum mates to register or just rock
>up to the event (no pun intended) and have an awesome time!!
>
>Don't forget there is around $7000 worth of prizes on offer!!!
>
>See you guys at the comp!!

technogeekery
1/05/2013
8:59:48 AM
So... you'd ban people posting information on climbing comps in a climbing forum because you think we are all frustrated experienced trad dads?

I think that is a very exclusive attitude. A huge percentage of today's top climbers started off in the gym. Some never leave there, some go on to be exclusively "drill wielding convenience climbers" - and some go on to be the very best in mountaineering, ice climbing, hard trad, bouldering or all of the above.

My kids love the gym and outdoors climbing, and I'm happy to encourage them in both.

I'm happy to have info on sport & gym climbing here as much as any other type of climbing.
gfdonc
1/05/2013
9:02:39 AM
Uh-oh, someone has made the mistake of taking JDB seriously again. Really, y'all, don't feed the troll.
simey
Online Now
1/05/2013
10:10:02 AM
On 1/05/2013 gfdonc wrote:
>Uh-oh, someone has made the mistake of taking JDB seriously again. Really, y'all, don't feed the troll.

Exactly. For those who may have missed the irony, if you look-up the original poster's user-name you can see the little joke that JDB was making. I thought it was quite amusing.

As for promoting a climbing comp on Chockstone... well that seems perfectly reasonable to me (not that I have any interest in it).

technogeekery
1/05/2013
2:08:12 PM
On 1/05/2013 simey wrote:
>For those who may have missed the irony, if you look-up the original
>poster's user-name you can see the little joke that JDB was making. I thought
>it was quite amusing.

Oops... succesfully trolled... I'll shut up now.

Snacks
2/05/2013
8:58:03 AM
On 30/04/2013 Climboholic wrote:
>I tend to agree with JDB. The climbing community is not synonymous with
>indoor competition climbing. My impression of the demographic on chockstone
>is frustrated, experienced climbers lamenting the decline of climbing.
>Not the type of people who will take spam on gym comps well.
>
>I say, let the people who got into climbing with competative motivations,
>stay in the gym. Hopefully it will be enough to stop them from mutating
>into drill wielding convenience climbers and hence stem the tide of success
>before style and arrogance before adventure.
>

Haha. Bit of a narrow view of chockstone there buddy. There's loads of people that don't post or reply to threads that don't fit into that "demographic".

Sabu
2/05/2013
9:37:01 AM
Despite JBD's troll, Techno was on the money and I think climboholic was way off the mark. Many of the younger generation climbers grew up competing in competitions (myself included). Some of those climbers have gone on to push the limits of Australian climbing (eg Andrea Hah) while others have moved off to explore the areas of climbing that appeal to them, whether that be trad climbing, bouldering, sport etc. I suspect that if every climber who competed in competitions stayed in the gym, the climbing community would be significantly poorer for it.

There are 13 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints