Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Scarpa: Scarpa "Mystic GTX" Approach Shoe. Premium model. Gortex lined. Vibram Sole. Climbing toe... Size 43 Eur. (10 USm)  $149.00
50% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Bob McMahon Passes Away
Tastrad
18/04/2013
3:02:38 PM
Bob McMahon, legend of Tasmanian climbing and a dear friend passed away in his sleep last night. Seems it was probably a heart attack. Condolences to his wife and family. He will be sorely missed.
Wendy
18/04/2013
3:39:20 PM
I am sad to hear that. We bumped into Bob at Ben Lomond in Feb and he was bright, chatty and about to slog on into the crag with a client for a day's guiding, Looking in impressive condition and doing a job far younger people couldn't keep up with. He was certainly passionate and contributed a lot to climbing in Tasmania.

wallwombat
18/04/2013
5:22:30 PM
Sad news. Bob was a true ci.haracter of Australian climbing.
benm
18/04/2013
5:33:50 PM
McMahon: irascible, mercurial. Susi, Andy, Selty, the climbs, the books, the art, the snow and wind, the wine, the car crashes, the whirlwind of passionate anger against the system and passionate love of life.

Vale Bob.

kuu
18/04/2013
5:44:41 PM
On 18/04/2013 benm wrote:
>McMahon: irascible, mercurial. Susi, Andy, Selty, the climbs, the books,
>the art, the snow and wind, the wine, the car crashes, the whirlwind of
>passionate anger against the system and passionate love of life.
>

Plus a dedicated, and ultimately successful, opponent of the Tamar Pulp Mill.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-man-who-pulped-the-pulp-mill-20120927-26nwk.html

>Vale Bob.
>
Indeed, Vale Bob
>

EDIT: (19/4/13) Added link to SMH article "The man who pulped the pulp mill"
ithomas
18/04/2013
5:54:25 PM
Rob, Robert, Bob, Bobbie. He was everywhere and remains part of everyone who knew him. He accomplished so much and with his very special family seemed about to do so much more. Sincerest condolences to Suzi, Andy, Selty and grandchildren.
Ian
spicelab
18/04/2013
6:15:12 PM
Real sad.

Always respected the vehemence with which he stuck to his convictions, and very much enjoyed his writing style.
BruceC
18/04/2013
7:34:09 PM
Bob McMahon was a father, husband, climber, painter, potter, protester, protagonist and pulp hater!! Bob will be remembered for many things, in particular his fight for the environment and the common man. 500 years ago he would have been known as a warrior!! His love of Ben Lomond is only equalled by the love of his family and friends....and footy!! Bob is gone but he will life on....maybe on the upper ledge of Rock-a-day Johny on the Ben....looking down on the rolling landscape with a glass of fine Tasmanian wine. It was a pleasure to know Bob and his family, to climb with him and share life with such a passionate and driven person. Have hands will jam.

Stefan Karpiniec
18/04/2013
9:46:20 PM
Oh bugger. A great bloke.
simey
19/04/2013
12:31:15 AM
Wow, that just seems unbelievable. It was just the other day I was at Gareth Llewellin's house in Natimuk admiring a large print of a wild wave-swept ocean when I found out Bob had taken the photo and also made the frame. It really was a fantastic image. Gareth and I then got talking about Bob and what a unique character he was - a fascinating mix of climber, scholar, artist, writer, bogan, explorer. His contribution to Australian climbing on so many levels is enormous (new routes, new cliffs, writing great climbing stories, superb photography, guidebooks, starting up climbing magazines, building climbing huts, introducing numerous others to climbing). And yet he had a whole range of other interests too. How he fitted it all into one lifetime beats me.

RIP Bob McMahon.
Lyle Closs
19/04/2013
4:48:11 AM
Ah jeez...driving into Sunshine Possibilities pissed in the middle of the night with Bob Bull, slugging Guinness in a snowstrom at Big Gun Pass, Astral Weeks and Galliano in the Labyrinth, cold winds and Mike McHugh and Peter Jackson on Sow Spur, sunshine on Stacks Bluff with Jackson and Reg Williams, close to being attacked by loggers under Ben Lomond, hilarity under the Walls of Jerusalem, family climbing at Whitewater Wall, tea and cakes in Cataract Gorge...always memorable, always entertaining, always hospitable and generous, incredibly well-read, never dull. Another light goes out.

Doug
19/04/2013
8:19:42 AM
Bob was a force of Nature coming at you from all sides. Ian Tyson's phrase "four strong winds" comes to mind. He revelled in the world wild. It was fitting that two of his favourite places outside of Tasmania were Tierra del Fuego and Iceland. No-one loved and lived life more. One of my clearest memories is of a ramble to Ragged Jack with a bunch of mates, Bob roaring with laughter at some small joke as we strolled along. It wasn't the climbing, it was the companionship of the man.
We loved him.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19/04/2013
8:53:44 AM
I did not know Bob, however as a climber he inspirationally touched my life, as I had certainly heard of some of his exploits. I know the climbing community is the poorer for his passing, and my thoughts go to his family and friends.
ithomas
19/04/2013
11:03:43 AM
We all thought Bob would probably die in some spectacular mountain fiasco. It's completely in character that he simply thought - "F%#% you" and passed away peacefully in his sleep!
hero
19/04/2013
10:06:35 PM
Sad. Legend. Australian climbing so much poorer for this news.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints