Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Austrialpin: OVALO Straight Gate. Strength: 25 10 8kN (Heavy Duty) N/B Perfect for Racking wired Nuts? IMO   $12.00
45% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 34
Author
Brunswick Bouldering Wall

Miguel75
17/04/2013
10:59:10 PM
On 17/04/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Harden up mate. ~> I have a teaspoon sachet of cement if you need it...
>;-)

You should know it'll take more than a teaspoon;)

With all your references to my relative 'un-hardness' I'm starting to feel pigeon-holed, much like Jennifer Anniston;

She's a wonderfully talented actress, I'm (almost, kinda, could be) a wonderfully talented climber....

She's typecast as the ditzy love interest, I'm typecast as the soft, kinda brain damaged climber...

She'll probably never be taken seriously in a dramatic role: I'll probably never climb anything seriously..

In summary, I'll continue to be a doofus and Jen will continue to be hot;)

wallwombat
18/04/2013
12:01:34 AM
So, I take it, you don't have nice boobs, then.

VCC
1/04/2014
10:25:23 AM
Moreland council is looking for feedback about the Brunswick Bouldering Wall. Take a minute to fill in the survey linked at the top of the page and let them know you think it's a great idea! http://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/about-council/news-media/have-your-say-main/community-consultation/wilson-avenue-brunswick-consultation.html

ambyeok
2/04/2014
1:27:46 PM
I'm getting "Wilson Avenue – Proposed Road Closure Consultation" survery. Can someone please help my addled aged brain

ajfclark
2/04/2014
1:31:33 PM
Should link to "Wilson Avenue, Brunswick, online submission form for Road Closure and Public Space Proposal"

http://www.mysurveyportal.com/moreland/qedml/login.php?SURVEY=popup14

VCC
2/04/2014
11:12:12 PM
On 2/04/2014 ambyeok wrote:
>I'm getting "Wilson Avenue – Proposed Road Closure Consultation" survey.
>Can someone please help my addled aged brain

That is the correct survey, the proposal is about permanently closing part of Wilson Avenue to make a new puplic space, and then for the space to include a climbing wall.

1. Did you visit the Pop-up Park? This included our climbing/Training Day with the mobile climbing wall.
2. Should Council proceed with a permanent public space? We think yes.
3. Road closure options. Option 3 is the closure of the end of Wilson Avenue to vehicles, so there can be a new public space.
4. Do you support the idea of a small scale urban climbing wall as part of a new public space at this location? We think yes.
5. Other comments? Up to you.
6. Your name. Not required but better if you give it?
7. Do you want to make a submission in person? Up to you.

Only takes a minute so let them know you think it's a great idea!
bones
15/05/2014
3:09:41 PM
On 2/04/2014 VCC wrote:
.....>7. Do you want to make a submission in person? Up to you.
>
>Only takes a minute so let them know you think it's a great idea!

I must have ticked 'yes' to question seven because I received a letter inviting me to submit. Anyone else planning to attend the consultation meeting?
bones
14/07/2014
12:32:39 PM
A quick update - it seems Moreland council voted to go ahead with the wall

http://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/building-and-planning/strategic-projects-moreland/wilson-avenue-brunswick.html
Dave_S
14/07/2014
1:40:34 PM
Great news! Does anyone know if there'll be any consultation with VCC or other climbing groups on the design? I certainly hope that it will end up being more like Burnley than, say, this.

White Trash
14/07/2014
4:49:07 PM
On 14/07/2014 Dave_S wrote:
>Great news! Does anyone know if there'll be any consultation with VCC or
>other climbing groups on the design? I certainly hope that it will end
>up being more like Burnley than, say, this.

yair it sounds like good news, but i think dave s hasnt allowed for fact that even bolderers have to start somewhere.
Dave_S
14/07/2014
5:15:51 PM
Hardly. You can build a bouldering wall that is appropriate for a wide range of users, or, like the photo I posted, that is only appropriate for a very narrow range of users.

The latter is much more likely if it is build by non-climbers.

VCC
21/07/2014
12:06:49 AM
Dear all.

Thanks for your support on the now approved Brunswick bouldering plaza. The community support really
got it over the line.

The original intent was just to get something climbable on Melbourne’s north side, the plaza idea came from a Moreland Council invitation to take part in a competition that the Justice Department was running to create urban interventions which would deter low level crime in public space. This competition gave the initial funds to create the space.

There is no infrastructure in Moreland to facilitate a “Burnley” so the final boulder will be determined by the space, brief and budget we are given as dictated by Moreland Urban Design. The boulder will have about 17m of traversable area and will be built by a known and experienced climbing fabricator with the intent of handing the running over to VCC or a community group.

Just to clear the air, everyone involved in the design process climbs. We are not power mutants, just part of the faceless masses who love to climb to varying degrees of success. We are better public space designers than climbers and apologize but don’t really apologize for that in advance for those who care
about that sort of thing.

The intent of the entire project is as much about activating public space as it is about climbing and we hope it will spawn other small movements throughout the city to compliment the gyms and natural resources we have in Victoria.

Thanks again to those who supported the project. We hope people just see this space for what it is and come down for a climb, meet mates, meet randoms, eat from a food truck, get a coffee, go op shopping, give $2 to a busker, go see a band, whatever, it is a Brunswick boulder after all.

Just another moment in climbing and life.

Peace
johnk
21/07/2014
10:15:31 AM
On 21/07/2014 VCC wrote:
>Dear all.
>
>Thanks for your support on the now approved Brunswick bouldering plaza.
>The community support really
>got it over the line.
>
>The original intent was just to get something climbable on Melbourne’s
>north side, the plaza idea came from a Moreland Council invitation to take
>part in a competition that the Justice Department was running to create
>urban interventions which would deter low level crime in public space.
>This competition gave the initial funds to create the space.
>
>There is no infrastructure in Moreland to facilitate a “Burnley” so the
>final boulder will be determined by the space, brief and budget we are
>given as dictated by Moreland Urban Design. The boulder will have about
>17m of traversable area and will be built by a known and experienced climbing
>fabricator with the intent of handing the running over to VCC or a community
>group.
>
>Just to clear the air, everyone involved in the design process climbs.
>We are not power mutants, just part of the faceless masses who love to
>climb to varying degrees of success. We are better public space designers
>than climbers and apologize but don’t really apologize for that in advance
>for those who care
>about that sort of thing.
>
>The intent of the entire project is as much about activating public space
>as it is about climbing and we hope it will spawn other small movements
>throughout the city to compliment the gyms and natural resources we have
>in Victoria.
>
>Thanks again to those who supported the project. We hope people just see
>this space for what it is and come down for a climb, meet mates, meet randoms,
>eat from a food truck, get a coffee, go op shopping, give $2 to a busker,
>go see a band, whatever, it is a Brunswick boulder after all.
>
>Just another moment in climbing and life.
>
>Peace


Very well said - and everyone living in Brunswick and the surrounds is totally wrapped!
Howsie
23/07/2014
9:19:09 AM
I am very supportive of what has been achieved and its great that the community love it. The gain in public space is of significant merit in itself.

However the size of the wall is disappointing and very limited. I think this space will not be activated as much as we would like by the existing climbing community. Typically you would need to cater for an hour of climbing as a minimum at a range of different abilities.

If its sufficient and well used by the climbing community then others will be more intrigued to try it out and also hang out and watch. It's all about activating a space is it not and being fit for purpose is half the battle.

 Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 34
There are 34 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints