Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: New DMM "Belay Master 2" screwgate. I-beam construction and plastic clip. (State of the Art!) N/B Only 1 left!  $25.00
28% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Advice sought: carrying gear for a long trip
EXPRESSO
9/11/2012
6:30:02 AM
Hi, I'm getting in a right muddle and hoping to get some sage advice from folk who've probably done this millions of times before. I'm travelling alone for 4 months, hoping to climb most of the time. Sport climbing in Thailand/Laos for 4 weeks then Arapiles for 2 ish months then more sport climbing on the way back overseas.

I'm definitely taking the basics but can't decide on how to carry and/or keep from being nicked and/or decide on what combination i.e. trad rack/half rope/sport qds/sport rope

I could probably hire/hope to climb with a partner that's all roped/quickdrawed in Asia although hiring for 20 ish days may be too pricey

but as Arapiles is the main event I'd hate to limit myself or make myself unpopular by not bringing what I need

any comments very welcome

cheers

Superstu
9/11/2012
6:53:54 AM
Assuming you won't be needing your trad rack at tonsai, you could leave it in long term storage in bangkok. Hotels usually provide this service, ask before you book.

I regularly post my climbing kit home after the climbing component of some holiday, because travelling around without it is so much easier if you are just drifting around exploring.

You could probably post to natimuk and avoid taking a rack through SE asia at all. Might be more trouble than its worth though! Just go straight to Araps and do all the curries/beaches/drugs/jungles/eurosport on the way home!
expresso
9/11/2012
7:36:11 AM
yeah I think its about 60 USD to leave it at the airport, may have to do that and then again when I leave Melbourne - I'll check postage again as I had thought it looked way too expensive

thanks for replying, any more tips or thoughts on turning up gearless at Arapiles?

Superstu
9/11/2012
7:52:43 AM

>thanks for replying, any more tips or thoughts on turning up gearless
>at Arapiles?

solo?
anthonycuskelly
9/11/2012
7:57:49 AM
If you have a rope, I suspect most people at Araps would be cool with using their rack? And if you could fit draws, a set of nuts, and a few cams in, that'd get you up a fair bit of stuff there anyway.

rodw
9/11/2012
7:57:50 AM
You could always just bring a very limited rack assuming your partner will have a rack too.....the Araps locals on here will tell you what is best to bring.

Edit: looks like AC answered just before me, what he said
Wendy
9/11/2012
8:44:51 AM
I've managed a lot of long trips carrying a normal trad rack and rope. I have been totally converted to light weight gear in the last 10 years, so that helps. I occasionally stash gear with someone, but I've been too stingy to pay to post it all home. Besides, there's very little non climbing time in my trips! I often just take a half rope and expect to meet someone with another, but in these days of skinny singles, you can remove any uncertainty by taking a single rope that is lighter than old school doubles. In Asia, you won't need any camping gear, and you can pick up a cheap tent and stove in Horsham Kmart for $15-30. Raid the op shop for some dishes and you're set. Hand this over to some other dirtbag when you leave. You should be able to fit everything else you'll need into a normal rucksack and come under 23kg. Wear your heavyist shoes and clothes if you're desperate. Check out the weather to expect - lots of asia rarely needs warm clothing, plus it's dirt cheap to buy stuff there if you have to. Similarly here, summer won't demand a heavy sleeping bag or much warm stuff and you can pick up a few jumpers in the forementioned op shop if you need to. Fill your hand luggage with stuff that airport security won't complain about (racks and ropes not reccommended hang luggage, some countries can be fickle about them). Get insurance that covers you for theft/lost baggage, and if worse comes to worse, you get to buy yourself some shiny new gear at someone else's expense.

There's thread after thread after thread about what gear you should bring to Araps. Lots of wires are good, double up on at least the mid sizes, if not a complete double set. At least 1 set of small to mid size cams, double up on any favourites if you can. If you are want to climb mostly above 20 or so, you might benefit from micro cams and RPs, but you won't lack options without them, esp in the easy-mod grades. I like to lob a big cam or 2 around, but I usually sacrifice it in the light of baggage restrictions, up to gold camalot is fine for most stuff but (same with the RPS) check the guide or get some beta about routes before you end up on something that you'll scare yourself silly on with out them.

Nmonteith
Online Now
9/11/2012
8:52:36 AM
Try and use Internet based guidebooks rather than the paper variety! I reckon I had about 8kg of paper guides on my return from 7 weeks in the USA. They took up half my carry on.

Buy a shorter rope 50m rather than 70m. That should save some weight.

A good rig I use is a simple large duffel bag that my large backpack fits inside. When flying the backpack goes inside the dufflel (which helps when you go through customs as you don't look like a backpacker so no questions about camping, boots, drugs). When I arrive I pull the backpack out to use as a climbign daypack and the duffel to stash clothing and stuff left at camp/bungalow.

Reluctant
9/11/2012
11:41:47 AM
I like to use very basic accommodation in Asia. The problem there is you then don't get facilities like secure storage. In the next tier up of hotels it is worth paying for secure storage. If they have it. Check in advance. I often use agora website not to book but to check what services are provided.
Should cost 100 to 300 thb (4-12usd) per day for secure storage.
Packet of cable ties makes packing and repacking easy. Practice. Super light, thin, non rigid day pack put way in wheelie case as mentioned above is ideal.
I put a spare shirt undies socks shorts in carry on bag because if check in bag is delayed or lost it will take a while to find clothes in falang sizes. (I have big feet and fat arse).

Go light. You won't mind buying what you need there at such low prices.
widewetandslippery
9/11/2012
1:21:43 PM
I always exploit local indidgeonus people. You dont need to carry shit.
expresso
9/11/2012
7:58:53 PM
a nice range of ideas, really helpful, thank you

and its a great dilemma to have - hopefully see some of you out there
bones
10/11/2012
5:40:44 AM
We're currently carrying 60 kilos of gear around the world for our 6 month climbing trip (sport, trad, alpine and camping gear) and wishing we'd invested in lighter gear (e.g. Petzl Ange draws, thinner ropes) but it's doable. Almost home and haven't totally ruined my back yet..... not totally. Stashing gear in hotels really helps.
expresso
12/11/2012
8:36:02 AM
yeah I'm building up a very light weight rack to post out or leave at bangkok - spent today carrying a bouldering mat, a rope, bit of kit, a few coats and lunch - after 20 mins was ready to dump the mat (it wasn't mine) - my next long trip will have to be DWS...

ado_m
12/11/2012
5:12:18 PM
Bones - you're alive then!? How's Iran?

pezz
12/11/2012
5:17:01 PM
climb araps first and leave your rack stuck on various climbs for others to booty :)

Muki
12/11/2012
6:04:52 PM
On 12/11/2012 pezz wrote:
>climb araps first and leave your rack stuck on various climbs for others
>to booty :)

I'll lend you my loaner rack made up of all the booty I've found at Arabs
you bring your belay,rope, draws, and harness, all you'll need for tonsai
And drop it off on your way home.

Cool Hand Lock
12/11/2012
6:52:44 PM
Which booty rack?
How much booty gear do you have?

Didn't you give one away?
expresso
12/11/2012
8:57:38 PM
Hi that's very generous Muki - from the advice I've had I think I need to bring at least a set of wires and cams - but if you've got any hexes and bigger cams amongst your swag then that would be great!

I really appreciate all the feedback I get from this site

cheers helen

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints