Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: Super Chute Rope Bag. Volume 25 litres. Single adjustable shoulder strap. Rope tarp dimensions: 146 X 126cm. 400d nylon. Assorted colours. (Holds up to 80M Rope)  $49.00
30% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 59
Author
Oldest ozzie woman Jan Smith at 68 summits Everest

Andrew_M
29/05/2012
9:57:59 PM
FWIW...there are actually some reputable Nepalese-run guiding companies out there. Sumit Joshi -part time Sydney local- co-runs Himalayan Ascent with another sherpa climber. I haven't personally done any of their trips since guided climbing happens not to be my cup of tea, but friends/acquaintences have done so and have returned with all fingers and toes intact and good reports of professionalism. HA did have a client on Everest this year but turned around at the south col due to conditions.

(mods: yeah, this post is spam, but kind of relevant...delete it if you must)

disclaimer: I've worked/climbed with Sumit's wife so am probably biased
kieranl
29/05/2012
10:19:55 PM
On 29/05/2012 MisterGribble wrote:
>Guys,
>
>All this poor woman did was climb the big hill and Chockstoners are giving
>a her reception that would befit Craig Thompson walking back into the HSU.
>
Yes, it's been quite shameful. I understand people's distaste for the Everest scene but don't understand the almost vicious glee that people take in belittling Jan Smith's personal achievement.
There is a really nasty aspect to Chockstone that comes out in this thread and the one by the climbers looking for a guided trip to Arapiles, and it makes me ashamed to be participant.
ithomas
30/05/2012
3:55:38 PM
Hear hear Kieran and MisterGribble.
One Day Hero
30/05/2012
4:35:26 PM
Sorry, I didn't realise that Chockstone was a place for reporting "news" of mediocre achievements which are only loosely related to climbing.

In breaking news, I had a pretty good game of indoor soccer last night, put one in the net and was unlucky with two other cracking shots which were only just turned away by inspired goalkeeping. After that draining effort, I pushed on to enchain with the woody, where I had a similarly good night. Envisioning a new sloper problem, I initially made very promising progress and was stoked that Andrew seemed to be struggling despite his usual domination. However, as fatigue finally caught up with me, the natural order was restored. There seems to be another favorable forecast for next Tuesday night, so I'm making preparations to once again begin the grueling journey back up to north canberra. I really feel that this time will be my chance to summit the 'big one' via the sloper problem.

rodw
Online Now
30/05/2012
4:56:49 PM
You doing with o2 or without ODH?
ithomas
30/05/2012
5:09:59 PM
Chockstone is surely a forum for anyone to report anything to do with climbing. I can't see any grade or height restrictions on submissions. Most climbing and most climbers are mediocre. Nothing wrong with that. In fact the name of this Forum is 'General Discussion' not 'Exceptional Discussion' or Grade 25+ Discussion'. A 68 year old Australian climbing (and it is climbing) Mt Everest is certainly worth mentioning.
Ian
Wendy
30/05/2012
5:38:59 PM
I'll be sure to keep you all informed of my climbing achievements whilst I'm recovering, climbing out of bed, up the stairs and on top of ... oh, ok, maybe not those ones.

Actually, if you look at the general state of the average western 48 year old, let alone 68 year old, she's done bloody well, dragged up by guides or not. Won't catch me there in a blue fit though. Looks bloody awful. Kinda like a high altitude Centenial Glen - generously littered with poo, rubbish, fixed gear, tourists and wankers.

stugang
30/05/2012
6:11:24 PM
On 29/05/2012 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>I wanna see someone do with a plastic bag over their head - they alway
>wack on about doing Everest without oxygen, well, lets see someone do it
>without any oxygen what so ever.
>
>Or use nitrous oxide or amyl nitrate cylinders or something with a bit
>more comic value instead of oxygen

Eduardo

Your visionary challenge reminds me of a great early Leunig cartoon with a general storyline of a man reading the news of a conquest of everest over his morning coffee and getting inspired to do the first ascent of everest - starting from his house in the melb suburbs blindfolded with hands and feet bound.

After overcoming many trials he finally establishes basecamp with his head stuck in a drain at the end of his street. Where he falls asleep to dream sweet dreams of his many adventures to come.

If someone has a copy it'd be great if they could scan it and stick it up here. I remember almost dying of laughter when I first read it as a young teen.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30/05/2012
7:35:42 PM
On 30/05/2012 ithomas wrote:
>Chockstone is surely a forum for anyone to report anything to do with climbing.
>I can't see any grade or height restrictions on submissions. Most climbing
>and most climbers are mediocre. Nothing wrong with that. In fact the name
>of this Forum is 'General Discussion' not 'Exceptional Discussion' or Grade
>25+ Discussion'. A 68 year old Australian climbing (and it is climbing)
>Mt Everest is certainly worth mentioning.
>Ian

+1 (& it has nothing to do with the fact that I am 68 at this time too!)
hipdos
30/05/2012
10:34:04 PM
On 30/05/2012 ithomas wrote:
>Chockstone is surely a forum for anyone to report anything to do with climbing.
>I can't see any grade or height restrictions on submissions. Most climbing
>and most climbers are mediocre. Nothing wrong with that. In fact the name
>of this Forum is 'General Discussion' not 'Exceptional Discussion' or Grade
>25+ Discussion'. A 68 year old Australian climbing (and it is climbing)
>Mt Everest is certainly worth mentioning.
>Ian

Your common sense post and lack of propensity for kneejerk abuse won't cut it here
gfdonc
31/05/2012
5:37:49 AM
On 30/05/2012 Wendy wrote:
> Kinda like a high altitude Centenial Glen - generously littered with poo,
>rubbish, fixed gear, tourists and wankers.

Gold.
Thanks for that Wendy, needed the laugh,
(While sitting waiting for a flight outa Munich)

stugang
1/06/2012
8:46:11 PM

I suspect this image is going to be so fking small that you cant read it properly. I can email the original scanned version (pdf) to someone who is internet/it savvy enough to upload a decent image. Every version I kept uploading to the site got rejected until i shrunk it to the size of muki's testicles.

Anyway its a pretty funny cartoon.

ajfclark
1/06/2012
9:43:55 PM
email it to me.

stugang
1/06/2012
10:03:14 PM
OK done & very big thanks too.

ajfclark
2/06/2012
8:09:01 AM

Eduardo Slabofvic
2/06/2012
12:48:15 PM
I recommend Stugang be bound and gagged

stugang
2/06/2012
1:51:55 PM
That costs extra.

Cash only in advance.

White Trash
2/06/2012
7:06:31 PM
On 28/05/2012 Superstu wrote:
>On 28/05/2012 egosan wrote:
>>No, that is called Ass to Mouth disease. It will leave you very dehydrated
>>as well. Too many tourists leaving little brown presents in the snow
>up
>>there.
>
>Hey those little frozen brown cairns are a useful navigation aid in a
>white out. Managed to navigate down off Mera Peak in a pooey blizzard thanks
>to those little track markers!
>
same as nowra and centenial glen!
>
JohnK
6/06/2012
9:13:52 PM
Importantly looks like Jan Smith is back down the hill and back at Kathmandu.

http://summitclimb.com/new/default.asp?linktype=r&mtype=smenu&vid=17&nid=184#5

I just hope I can climb Grade 10's when I am 68 let alone the NE ridge of Everest O2 or not!

Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 59
There are 59 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints