Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Edelrid: "Ultralight Helmet" (Red) Fits 54 - 60cm Great heavy duty all-rounder. SUPER SPECIAL for a short time only!  $79.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 92
Author
Rock Magazine - new ed
drcranky
31/01/2012
9:06:16 PM
Anyone else get the impression the new Rock Mag editor knows #$%@ all about climbing?

shortman
31/01/2012
9:12:05 PM
There is a new editor?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
31/01/2012
10:03:17 PM
On 31/01/2012 drcranky wrote:
>Anyone else get the impression the new Rock Mag editor knows #$%@ all about
>climbing?

What gives you that impression?
His 'editorial' seemed to me more about paying homage to the past and what he has inherited as a standard to meet.

If he knows bugger all about climbing then it would be reasonable to assume that the current edition of Rock that he presided over would reflect that, however it still maintains the standard* in my opinion.
(*Though this has varied hugely over the years!)
onsight
31/01/2012
10:08:14 PM
I think Ross's boots will be hard to fill.

But who are you? Did you create your alias just so you could go the hack?

shortman
31/01/2012
10:10:59 PM
On 31/01/2012 onsight wrote:
>I think Ross's boots will be hard to fill.
>
>But who are you? Did you create your alias just so you could go the hack?

drcranky?

Bet ya it's the new editor!
Dr Nick
31/01/2012
10:36:35 PM
Great Baxter's Ghost! You might be on to something there Shortman!

Sonic
1/02/2012
10:47:36 AM
The thing that shat me off about the new mag is the lack of captions! The photo at the start of the Fingal Story for instance - it looks incredible, but what is it? And the shot of Marc Edwards in Kalbarri - If you can't tell who it is and where then whats it doing in the photo section? And it continues right through......

IMO the new edition sucks ass. I'm glad I don't subscribe anymore :(
drcranky
1/02/2012
11:17:19 AM
Chris Baxter's Ghost indeed!

It's only an impression and if others feel differently then I'm happy to concede.

First up, the cover gives it away. Granite in the Blue Mountains? Well they ain't talking about Tarana. The mistake is again made in the editorial.

In the editorial he writes about the voice of community, which is very important, and the Rock editor is an important voice. Ross and Chris would use their extensive knowledge of the Australian climbing scene and their own personal insights and anecdotes to great effect. The new ed seems to just summarise what you are about to read. He doesn't write poorly, I just get the feeling I wasn't connecting with a fellow climber.

Prime Creative Media also publishes BeanScene, Trailer, WhichSchool and Prime Mover Magazine. If having a larger corporate backing helps ensure the continuation of the mag then great. But "the community" must be respected by having an editor that gets 'it'.

If I am wrong then I apologise. I'm certainly still going to continue my subscription.


Winston Smith
1/02/2012
11:29:09 AM
On 1/02/2012 drcranky wrote:
>Chris Baxter's Ghost indeed!
>
>It's only an impression and if others feel differently then I'm happy
>to concede.
>
>First up, the cover gives it away. Granite in the Blue Mountains? Well
>they ain't talking about Tarana. The mistake is again made in the editorial.
>
>In the editorial he writes about the voice of community, which is very
>important, and the Rock editor is an important voice. Ross and Chris would
>use their extensive knowledge of the Australian climbing scene and their
>own personal insights and anecdotes to great effect. The new ed seems to
>just summarise what you are about to read. He doesn't write poorly, I just
>get the feeling I wasn't connecting with a fellow climber.
>
>Prime Creative Media also publishes BeanScene, Trailer, WhichSchool and
>Prime Mover Magazine. If having a larger corporate backing helps ensure
>the continuation of the mag then great. But "the community" must be respected
>by having an editor that gets 'it'.
>
>If I am wrong then I apologise. I'm certainly still going to continue
>my subscription.
>
>
>

The same thoughts occurred to me as did the drop in sub-editing quality - poor punctuation and typos ("saviour the position"??).

I'm still trying to fathom "callous free climbers" - do they lack blisters or empathy?

nmonteith
1/02/2012
12:13:30 PM
The current editor is indeed not a climber. He's probably doing the best job he can in the circumstances - but surely that job role is not sustainable by someone who isn't a climber.
One Day Hero
1/02/2012
12:29:09 PM
Is it a pride thing that the editorial must be written by the editor? Cause a non-climber writing in a climbing magazine seems very stupid to me.

What's in the job description for an editor? If he's making decisions on content without being able to understand the content, the magazine is screwed.

shortman
1/02/2012
12:37:47 PM
On 1/02/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Is it a pride thing that the editorial must be written by the editor? Cause
>a non-climber writing in a climbing magazine seems very stupid to me.
>
>What's in the job description for an editor? If he's making decisions
>on content without being able to understand the content, the magazine is
>screwed.

Depends on how much interest the publisher has in the product. Usally with small print runs, the money man would make all decisions. Unlikely that a new non climbing editor would direct and choose the content.
widewetandslippery
1/02/2012
12:57:26 PM
My sister has an assistant editorial role withe the Financial Review.

She did Fine Arts at ANU and Religion at Newcastle and is going quite well in he career.

Its a magazine not a climbing shop, not that many climbing shops have people that know what they are on about either.

And I agree Ross did an amazing job.

Who buys Rock anyway, I read it in the news agent.

nmonteith
1/02/2012
1:02:20 PM
An editor of a climbing magazine is in charge of sourcing (liaising with writers and photographers) and fact checking, so they NEED to be able to understand if what they are about to publish is actually correct. If they don't understand climbing then they could easily publish dangerous and misleading material.
One Day Hero
1/02/2012
2:11:35 PM
How many people would show up to work in the "Rock office"? Surely if one of them is a climber with a brain, they can veto ridiculous shit.

nmonteith
1/02/2012
2:17:29 PM
On 1/02/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>How many people would show up to work in the "Rock office"? Surely if one
>of them is a climber with a brain, they can veto ridiculous shit.

Probably none. You don't need to know about climbing to design, check spelling, sell advertising, do subscriptions and balance the books. I imagine the job roles above are shared amongst their whole staple of genre magazines. The editor is the only one you need that actually knows about the relevant topic. And as an editor you wouldn't be asking any of those people to proof your work - as that makes your job somewhat redundant.
crazyjohn
1/02/2012
3:29:14 PM
On 1/02/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>On 1/02/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>>How many people would show up to work in the "Rock office"? Surely if
>one
>>of them is a climber with a brain, they can veto ridiculous shit.
>
>Probably none. You don't need to know about climbing to design, check
>spelling, sell advertising, do subscriptions and balance the books. I imagine
>the job roles above are shared amongst their whole staple of genre magazines.
>The editor is the only one you need that actually knows about the relevant
>topic. And as an editor you wouldn't be asking any of those people to proof
>your work - as that makes your job somewhat redundant.

Why dont you take the job? Could you be bothered? I really enjoyed yours and Simon's old mag. Bring it back! Or take over Rock before numb nuts totally F's it up.

benjenga
1/02/2012
3:54:30 PM
True true RIP crux.
The granite thing did confuse me for a while and with the other slip ups and mistakes I am finding the mag a really task to read :(

nmonteith
1/02/2012
5:21:13 PM
On 1/02/2012 crazyjohn wrote:
>Why dont you take the job?

I'm still too scarred from Crux. Being an editor is a really tough job. Ross did an AMAZING job editing both Wild and Rock and sticking to deadline for so many years.
cogsy
1/02/2012
5:56:40 PM
So has Ross quit, or is he just taking a "family break".... I wasn't sure from the editorial?
I definitely agree this issue was a step down in quality, and the editor obviously wasn't a climber. He didn't even seem to know who Simon Carter was, and I would be surprised if there was a climber in Australia who hadn't heard of Simon!
Maybe there's not enough money to employ a climber to edit Rock? Perhaps it's now just a part time job for one of the subeditors of the other mags?
I suppose a lot of climber's money will be going back to those overseas climbing magazines again if it keeps going this way.




 Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 92
There are 92 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints