Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Petzl: D11 "Rappel Rack". For use with 1 or 2 ropes. Diameters from 9mm to 13mm. Two red fixed bars make for easy threading. SUPER Special!  $119.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 8 of 39. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 320 | 321 to 340 | 341 to 360 | 361 to 380 | 381 to 400 | 401 to 420 | 421 to 440 | 441 to 460 | 461 to 480 | 481 to 500 | 501 to 520 | 521 to 540 | 541 to 560 | 561 to 580 | 581 to 600 | 601 to 620 | 621 to 640 | 641 to 660 | 661 to 680 | 681 to 700 | 701 to 720 | 721 to 740 | 741 to 760 | 761 to 764
Author
Quotes

Mike TS
23-Nov-2004
9:09:44 AM
OK, I removed it I wanted to point out that climbers as a bunch are not generally enlightened nad PC.
Of course, now you've published it too as a quote so I can't easily remove

Mike TS
23-Nov-2004
9:19:27 AM
To continue, I meant sickest as in disgusting. Also, since I read it I wasn't the first to put it in the public domain.
My only excuse for bad taste is that I've been brought up on the UKClimbing.com forum, where bad taste is mandatory.
Dave C
23-Nov-2004
10:11:34 AM
On 23/11/2004 Mike TS wrote:
I've been brought up on the UKClimbing.com
>forum, where bad taste is mandatory.

Tou're talking about some of Sloper's threads aren't you? (Sorry, UKC reference that one)

In defence of UKC, the bad taste stuff is mainly in the 'Down the Pub' forum and when it gets too bad it soon gets zapped.
adamk
23-Nov-2004
10:16:43 AM
On 23/11/2004 Mike TS wrote:
>To continue, I meant sickest as in disgusting. Also, since I read it I
>wasn't the first to put it in the public domain.
>My only excuse for bad taste is that I've been brought up on the UKClimbing.com
>forum, where bad taste is mandatory.

Hey Mike,
no hard feelings mate. It's gone from the forum and gone from my mind. Have the best day
Adz

Mike TS
23-Nov-2004
11:00:32 AM
On 23/11/2004 Stuck in UK wrote:
>On 23/11/2004 Mike TS wrote:
> I've been brought up on the UKClimbing.com
>>forum, where bad taste is mandatory.
>
>Tou're talking about some of Sloper's threads aren't you? (Sorry, UKC
>reference that one)
>
>In defence of UKC, the bad taste stuff is mainly in the 'Down the Pub'
>forum and when it gets too bad it soon gets zapped.

You have to really work at it to get zapped. There's a very offensive joke about Israelis up there at the moment, been there for a couple of days. There's a lot worse than sloper, whom I usually find funny and not quite over the edge of bad taste.
So General Discussion is not the same as DTP then? Maybe Chockstone needs a bad taste forum too?


ShinToe Warrior
23-Nov-2004
11:01:46 AM
bad taste rocks! should be more black humour, too... The trouble with ANY forum, chockstone or
otherwise, is that the reader misses all the subtle nuances of communication: the wry smile, raised
eyebrow or the tongue firmly planted in one cheek (facial cheek) (and thrusting rhythmically back and
forth, If you're into that sort of thing).

All we have to go on is the words - and that especially applies to the words you are reading RIGHT NOW.

We miss all those cues of body language and voice tonality that let us know (generally) whether a person
is serious, just taking the piss or something inbetween. little smiley faces (and actions described in
brackets and stars *grins* etc) are better than nothing, but won't always stop a storm of moral indignation
or outrage in a teacup.
Racism and Sexism (and quite a few other 'isms') are f---ed, no question. It needs to be said, however,
that Most of the time, laughing at the 'wrong' things doesn't mean that we are in agreement with them.
Laughing at 'wrong' things in my view, is ONE healthy way of dealing with them.
Try this for an experiment... next time you witness such laughter, observe that person closely.(this may
not work for everyone) You will hear them laughing, and at some point, that laugh will transform into a sort
of oooooorrrrthatsjustwrong! sound or something similar, coupled with discomfort playing across their
facial features and maybe some head-shaking.
There is most likely to be little danger of them busting out in a crisply pressed
waffenSSobersturmhauptbahnhoffuhrer
uniform and shiny jackboots singing "sportclimbing uber alles"


(remember, dear reader, that you can't at this moment hear my cackling laughter at the people I'm going to
offend- And why do I feel the need to add this fricken explanatory spin??? - coz some people will be
offended...sportclimbers probably)



OK here's my quote. it's not a climbing one, I heard it on 6ft under last night (probably will be a bit
mangled). One of the characters was talking to his (dead!) father about some post traumatic stress
disorder shit he was going through, and his dad basically told him to get over himself and owning his pain
etc etc and then hits him with something like

"You're alive, you lucky bastard, you can do anything you want!!!"


Thanks folks,

ShinToe
pot-stirrer
mikl law
23-Nov-2004
11:13:22 AM
Town motto of Woodstock Virginia (not THAT Woodstock)
"Time to Pray, Time to Fight"

Bumper sticker on a neigbour's SUV
"Loot first, then burn"

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.
-- Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.
-- August Strindberg, A Madman's Diary, 1895


Breezy
23-Nov-2004
11:23:58 AM
On 23/11/2004 mikl law wrote:
>I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts
>to bite people themselves.
> -- August Strindberg, A Madman's Diary, 1895

LMAO thats just classic :)
adamk
23-Nov-2004
11:36:55 AM
On 23/11/2004 ShinToe Warrior wrote:

>
>Laughing at 'wrong' things in my view, is ONE healthy way of dealing with
>them.
>
Sure laughter is healthy...but Laughing at 'wrong' things is often percieved by the 'wrong' doer as support for their words or actions. Not laughing and saying i dont appreciated blah blah that you did (often not easy to do, always heaps easier just to laugh along) not only helps you to be true to yourself but also prompts the other to question what they are doing/saying. Anyways seeing this is a climbing forum and you r a pot stirer (meaning you probably are more interested in what comes out of your mouth than goes in your ears?...maybe harsh but reflect on it?) we should probly say enough and let people do their quote thing.

ShinToe Warrior
23-Nov-2004
12:04:13 PM
On 23/11/2004 adamk wrote:
>Sure laughter is healthy...but Laughing at 'wrong' things is often percieved
>by the 'wrong' doer as support for their words or actions. Not laughing
>and saying i dont appreciated blah blah that you did (often not easy to
>do, always heaps easier just to laugh along) not only helps you to be true
>to yourself but also prompts the other to question what they are doing/saying.

Yep, fair point.there have been times when I''ve laughed & felt a bit dirty afterwards.

>Anyways seeing this is a climbing forum and you r a pot stirer (meaning
>you probably are more interested in what comes out of your mouth than goes
>in your ears?...maybe harsh but reflect on it?) we should probly say enough
>and let people do their quote thing.

That's MISTER pot stirrer, buddy!

And, I am actually more interested in what issues forth from the mouths of other people, even Hex.

With regard to the 'pot-stirrer' sign-off, I was taking a leaf out of the Dave Letterman school of laying it on
thickly with a trowel, so that not even the most unenlightened person could fail to notice that I was merely
stimulating discussion.

Yes, enough.

more quotes....




Nick Kaz
23-Nov-2004
6:58:44 PM
from .vi-bouldering.com:

Q&A with Dr Saunders:
Q. What is the correct way to tape?
A. round and round.

Am i the only one who thought it was funny?

mousey
23-Nov-2004
7:11:09 PM
>Am i the only one who thought it was funny?
hardly.some of the photos onthatsite(includingone ofdrsaundersin particula) are a little, umm...'interesting'?!!
Dave C
23-Nov-2004
8:01:18 PM
On 23/11/2004 Mike TS wrote:
>You have to really work at it to get zapped.

True. There was a spate of thread zapping and a few individuals were kicked out a month or two back and it's actually quietened down a lot now.

There's a very offensive joke about Israelis up there at the moment, been there for a couple of days.

Yeah, saw it last night and I'm surprised it hasn't been reported as abuse, the mods would probably pull it.


There's a lot worse than sloper, whom I usually find funny and not
>quite over the edge of bad taste.

Only kidding about Sloper, he's fine, there are far worse offenders than him, particularly amongst the younger posters.

>So General Discussion is not the same as DTP then? Maybe Chockstone needs
>a bad taste forum too?

There isn't really a non-climbing forum on here. Probably not a bad thing really. It has been discussed a couple of times but the consensus seems to be to keep this as a climbing forum and I would say I agree with that stance.

>Apologies for the hi-jack everyone.


>
James
23-Nov-2004
9:26:58 PM
On 23/11/2004 mikl law wrote:
>We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to
>be.
> -- Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

there's a great line somewhere (*just looked but I couldn't find it*) in Breakfast of Champions that is something along the lines of... most people make 'ordinary' out of the 'chaos', but I make 'chaos' of the 'ordinary'....

rhinckle
23-Nov-2004
9:48:53 PM
outside the maxi-IGA in Castlemaine:

"Caution slope watch your step"

(one wonders what the vietnamese couple operating one of the shops there makes of this.)




Mike TS
24-Nov-2004
9:43:10 AM
On 23/11/2004 Stuck in UK wrote:
>On 23/11/2004 Mike TS wrote:

>There's a very offensive joke about Israelis up there at the moment, been
>there for a couple of days.
>
>Yeah, saw it last night and I'm surprised it hasn't been reported as abuse,
>the mods would probably pull it.

>
>>So General Discussion is not the same as DTP then? Maybe Chockstone needs
>>a bad taste forum too?
>
>There isn't really a non-climbing forum on here. Probably not a bad thing
>really. It has been discussed a couple of times but the consensus seems
>to be to keep this as a climbing forum and I would say I agree with that
>stance.
>

FYI I complained to the moderator about the Israeli joke (they had removed an equally offensive joke of mine in response about Palestineans but not the Israeli one.)Apparently it had slipped through.
So I got kicked on 2 sites in one day: I'd better slow down!

Tel
25-Nov-2004
12:26:11 PM


" but I think ummm, certainly, in your mid -thirties, you can be stronger than you ever be because you have a lot of experience. You know I see a lot of young climbers and I see they're stonger, but they don't have the err, they don't apply it to the rock as well" -------Jerry Moffatt

adski
25-Nov-2004
2:16:55 PM
"This sucks! I'm going back to the Central Coast where I can make up my own grades"

Jase Piper after falling off *after* India's crux *again*.

mousey
25-Nov-2004
2:31:43 PM
haha that guys a crackup!
elephant
26-Nov-2004
12:36:33 PM
here's a few i have collected over the years, mainly from rec.climbing:

"Well, you might live longer, but at least I'll die with a full rack."
- Craig Smith, arguing about rappel anchors with his partner who wanted to leave another stopper.

As someone once said, "I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about god, than in church thinking about the mountains."
-Rex Pieper

Bolts...I never felt right drilling 'em, but I never felt bad clippin' em. Maybe that's similar to the way people feel about eating cows and pigs.
- Karl Baba

"And when you kill a man, you're a murderer
Kill many, and you're a conqueror
Kill them all... Ooh... Oh you're a god !"
- Megadeth


 Page 8 of 39. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 320 | 321 to 340 | 341 to 360 | 361 to 380 | 381 to 400 | 401 to 420 | 421 to 440 | 441 to 460 | 461 to 480 | 481 to 500 | 501 to 520 | 521 to 540 | 541 to 560 | 561 to 580 | 581 to 600 | 601 to 620 | 621 to 640 | 641 to 660 | 661 to 680 | 681 to 700 | 701 to 720 | 721 to 740 | 741 to 760 | 761 to 764
There are 764 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints