Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: 120cm Nylon Runner. (Open sewn sling) 18mm wide nylon. Assorted colours. Awesome value IMO.   $8.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
BD QC lab - Gear exposed to acid = no bueno..

Miguel75
19/06/2013
1:58:39 AM
Here's an interesting article from BD's QC lab with a real world incident of chemical contamination...

Nothing groundbreaking but cool nonetheless!

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/qc-lab-acid-harness.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=qc-lab-acid&utm_source=hotwire-06182013

salty crag
19/06/2013
8:11:08 AM
Good read Miguel. The thread turning pink after contact with acid is a good indicator to be aware of.
Justcameron
19/06/2013
5:13:21 PM
Blah BD used to have a RSS feed so i could subscribe to their blog. It looks like their site has been remodelled and now there's no more feed :(

Good reading though.

ajfclark
19/06/2013
5:55:59 PM
On 19/06/2013 Justcameron wrote:
>Blah BD used to have a RSS feed so i could subscribe to their blog. It
>looks like their site has been remodelled and now there's no more feed
>:(

Every time they redo their site they break it worse and f--- up every existing link to it from other sites. I do not understand why they keep doing it.

The RSS is gone, their vimeo feed just keeps reposting old videos I watched months ago and as I pointed out recently, their robots.txt file now asks all search engines not to crawl or index their site leaving a whole slew of 404 links to BD in google's index. Completely retarded. Worse SEO ever.

They should fire whoever they've got doing their website at the moment.

JamesMc
19/06/2013
6:51:58 PM
So will they sew their harnesses with polyester thread in the future?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19/06/2013
7:21:32 PM
From my reading of the link, I deduce that even minor exposure to 'fumes' of corrosive agents can have a detrimental effect on your gear.

BD tested for direct exposure for gaining quick results. The harness in it's protective bag stored for a short period of time in a car boot with a new 'non leaking' battery, proves that caution is warranted...
climberman
19/06/2013
7:53:34 PM
On 19/06/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>From my reading of the link, I deduce that even minor exposure to 'fumes'
>of corrosive agents can have a detrimental effect on your gear.
>
>BD tested for direct exposure for gaining quick results. The harness in
>it's protective bag stored for a short period of time in a car boot with
>a new 'non leaking' battery, proves that caution is warranted...

i'd say it proves never to do acid while wearing a harness.

Eduardo Slabofvic
19/06/2013
8:55:11 PM
You might be interested in this link as well

http://www.dontchopyourropeupinto3cmlengthsandflushitdownthedunny.com
Isildur
20/06/2013
1:18:46 PM
Haha, my favourite quote from the article has to be:

"I learned that muriatic acid is a key ingredient when cooking meth. The customer doesn’t cook meth—I asked him and he wasn’t psyched about it."

Gold!
BBSR
20/06/2013
2:03:19 PM
Really good to see some data on this.

I spent a number of years working in manufacturing (including several years looking at product failures). One of my big takeaway learnings, was that chemical contamination can happen surprisingly easily. Materials that are highly resistant in general, can break easily when exposed to tiny amounts of the 'right' substance. Sometimes the chemicals that cause the problem aren't ones you would usually guess as a risk. I'm kind of paranoid about it as a result. Changes in colour and texture are good indicators, but not always present.

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints