Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

DMM: New DMM "Belay Master 2" screwgate. I-beam construction and plastic clip. (State of the Art!) N/B Only 1 left!  $25.00
28% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
All you sandstone pansies from the gluies...
egosan
29/08/2012
1:37:37 PM
Need to harden up and quit resorting to the easy option of bolting. No more of this whaaa, the rock is too soft for trad protection arguements. Feast your eyes:

http://www.horyinfo.cz/view.php?cisloclanku=2012070003&nazevclanku=ufo-na-festaku

To cool, here is some guy whipping on to one.

http://youtu.be/pOsM2LIj9ns

miguel75
29/08/2012
1:44:55 PM
They look radtastic and some of the comments are absolute classics;)
egosan
29/08/2012
1:48:16 PM
and cheap, 40 bucks for the biggest one.

miguel75
29/08/2012
1:52:19 PM
They're getting even better @ $40... I reckon if you used them for aid they wouldn't even hurt if you popped one whilst bounce testing:)

Superstu
29/08/2012
2:44:25 PM
Looks like a variation/improvement on the knotted rope technique

http://elllocesaqui.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/no-nuts-climb-with-knots/

The sandstone in the elbsandsteingebirge (and I assume the czech side of those mountains too, but i havent bin across da border) forms in ways that creates neat little pockets in the cracks, so the knotted protection isn't so crazy as it appears. Metal chocks/hexes/cams would probably chew up the soft rock with constant setting/unsetting even if they aren't fallen on much.

Can't say I actually fell on any knotted pro, but I did see other people take whippers on them.

Useful for gluies sandstone? Maybe, but the sandstone here doesn't form the same way, you don't get those little scoopy pockety bits forming along the crack lines. Plus there are no qualms about using metal protection. About the only time I get spooked about pro in synney sandstone is when it gets crumbly inside the crack, or the whole block/feature looks fragile, in which case I can't see the soft pro helping. The good pro in synney sandstone I reckon is in the horizontal breaks or the almost- parallel-sided vertical cracks in good rock; both which "seem" to take nuts and cams well.

Interested to hear what others think, esp those with more years on the synney sandstone than bumbly me.

pmonks
29/08/2012
2:56:07 PM
On 29/08/2012 egosan wrote:
>To cool, here is some guy whipping on to one.
>
>http://youtu.be/pOsM2LIj9ns

Jeebus I must have had too much to drink! Watching that video gave me tunnel vision and everything kept wobbling around and fading in and out of focus!

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints