Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Wild Country: Set of 7 X WC Rockcentrics. (Sizes 3 to 9) Anodized different colours! SUPER SPECIAL!  $119.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
OT: tele bindings
gfdonc
24/08/2012
9:32:53 AM
Given there seems to be a few backcountry/tele fiends on the forum (and it's bucketing snow again) - what are ppls experiences with the later rounds of tele bindings?

I'm still happily using my G3 Targas but I hear the Hammerheads are the ducks nuts and there are a few raves about the NTN system. Anyone changed binding setups recently and want to relate the experience?
james
24/08/2012
10:00:55 AM
I have some Hammerheads & they are great, & have also I've skied lots on BD 03s, BD 01s, Hammerheads & Axels.

Hammerheads ski the best by far, but its a pain to tour on them. Axels seem good for a touring option but I only used them for 1/2 a winter so far.
All of them are quite a bit heavier than G3 I think, that may or may not matter to you.

When NTN first came out I always expected the biggest advantage would have been the release, but I'm not sure that's such a big deal now. Release seems a little unreliable, you can't compare it to regular DIN settings, ppl skiing releasable alpine bindings still hurt themselves, & finally I've had some HUGE spills on non-releasable bindings & have been fine (touch wood).

Edit: friends of mine ski G3's & like them. Why change if they are working for you? Except the Axels all my bindings were bought 2nd hand, so it was comparatively cheap to try different ones. Plus I was skiing lots (100+ days) so I could almost justify it.

timfreddo
24/08/2012
10:31:56 AM
The main advantage NTN has over 75mm is that if you are skiing aussie steeps or backcountry overseas they will release in an avalanche instead of dragging you down...

having said that Axl's look to be the most reliable binding with free pivot touring mode (it makes a huge difference). NTN's seem to have problems with each upgrade they bring out. the orange ones will crack on the aluminium frame and the new black ones come with a plastic binding plate that is known to crack leaving your ski and your boot, still with binding attached seperating...

I'm on NTN at the moment, super nice to step in and out of the binding, and I've never been able to carve tele turns... til now :)
gfdonc
24/08/2012
11:01:04 AM
On 24/08/2012 james wrote:
>ppl skiing releasable alpine bindings still hurt themselves, & finally
>I've had some HUGE spills on non-releasable bindings & have been fine (touch
>wood).
Ditto. I can also claim I rarely fall over these days, at least at the resorts.

>Edit: friends on mine ski G3's & like them. Why change if they are working
>for you?
I'm thinking about adding some fatter skis to the quiver, so a 2nd binding would be needed. Hence unlikely to go with NTN as it would require a new boot.

I don't tour much (and if I did it wouldn't be on the fat skis) so weight isn't a real problem.
GusR
24/08/2012
11:43:32 AM
I've got HHeads. They're ace. I'll get fatter skis next year and probably NTNs (although I don't like the idea of getting new boots cos I'm very fond of my current 75 mm duckbills.

I am always amazed at how massive a stack I can have on non-releasable tele gear and still have intact knees. I've even released from the hammerheads once or twice (god knows how...) without breaking anything. Touch wood too..
maelgwn
24/08/2012
12:02:28 PM
Release reliability of NTN is pretty dubious, have a search around telemark tips forum.

Ive gone with 75mm for now so that I can hire different skis when I dont have the right ones for the job.
Goldybear
24/08/2012
1:22:07 PM
I've skied Linkens, HH, G3 Targas, Chilis, 412s, Rivas, Skyhoys, Voile CRBs, VPIIs, Superloops, BD Pitbulls and 3 pin.

Hammerheads functionality and adjustability are awesome. Great binding. The G3s are still an excellent, reliable, simple, adjustable binding. I'm keeping mine.

I've spent too many years reaching for the next greatest binding. Sometimes there was a noticeable leap forward (G3, HH, Skyhoy, Riva Comp, Superloops); other times it was very disappointing (Pitbulls, VP!!s, Linkens).

I haven't tried NTN yet, but I hope that it is viable, particularly after the astronomical amounts put into the R&D. Otherwise it will pass like the Bomber Bishops.
Mr Poopypants
24/08/2012
1:45:57 PM
Goldybear!!! You're back! Where?
I've always loved you.
james
24/08/2012
3:33:04 PM
>The main advantage NTN has over 75mm is that if you are skiing aussie steeps
>or backcountry overseas they will release in an avalanche instead of dragging
>you down...

I don't really buy into that....I figure if your triggering or getting caught in a slide on a regular day out, then your route planning or something else is going wrong. People die every year in avalanches, equipment choice doesn't seem to make much difference.

Touring = skiing pow 99% of the time so carving on edges is not a concern ;)

SteveC
24/08/2012
6:14:49 PM
On 24/08/2012 james wrote:
>Touring = skiing pow 99% of the time so carving on edges is not a concern
>;)

You're not doing enough touring in Australia.
My experience is touring = skiing pow 1% of the time then the rest it is ice, sastruggi, breakable crust, unbreakable crust or if I'm lucky, really heavy soft snow that I can't push around with my tele leg.
I've got a set of second hand O1s which I've learned on this year and have been fine, But it's also all I know. They haven't ripped out yet. I put a little araldite on the mounting screws to be sure anyway. Also a little loctite (or did I use thread tape?) stopped the cartridges from unwinding when they flop around.
Goldybear
24/08/2012
11:04:39 PM
On 24/08/2012 Mr Poopypants wrote:
>Goldybear!!! You're back! Where?
>I've always loved you.

Oi! Glen! (too much ASM copywriting Glen Nash's ads has led to the unlawful use of exclamation marks!).

Now in Central Victoria.

You guys still in the Paris of the Coal Coast?
james
24/08/2012
11:18:24 PM
>You're not doing enough touring in Australia.
>My experience is touring = skiing pow 1% of the time then the rest it
>is ice, sastruggi, breakable crust, unbreakable crust or if I'm lucky,
>really heavy soft snow that I can't push around with my tele leg.
>I've got a set of second hand O1s which I've learned on this year and
>have been fine, But it's also all I know. They haven't ripped out yet.
>I put a little araldite on the mounting screws to be sure anyway. Also
>a little loctite (or did I use thread tape?) stopped the cartridges from
>unwinding when they flop around.

yeah I live in Canada... spring snow tends to be more variable, or rather the terrain that becomes safer in spring (eg: icefields, bigger peaks, above treeline stuff) often leads to variable snow, crusts, wind affected snow etc. Plenty of icey/crud to ski inbounds.

Cartridges unwind sometimes, but I don't find it a big deal to tighten them up occasionally. You can also put strapping tape round BOTH cartridges which stops them unwinding. I'm not sure loctite works when its getting frozen/thawed & wet/dry all the time. Plus there should be grease inside the cartridges on the springs.
dmnz
25/08/2012
9:04:52 PM
not skied the NTNs or HHs but would be keen to hop on a pair of Axl's

So what have I skied on then? G3s, O1s and Switchbacks.

Switchbacks are my favourite by a long way...I even prefer them to the O1s for the down but I've only skied Mid Stiff O1s.
Fish Boy
26/08/2012
10:23:54 AM
Owned most of the tele bindings from the last 15 years and think the Bishop is the best binding for resort stuff. I toured with it in Oz, but now I'm in Canada and the ups go for longer, I prefer the 01. Now that they cme in 6 hole mount, they should stop pulling out of skis. Axls are a better engineered binding with adjustment, but I got my bds cheap and have three planks with em on.

This year however I will switch to the new lighter NTN things primarily because I don't wear leashes and the brakes should make that slightly less likely to lose a ski.

Whatever you get, the performance increase over a targa will be mind blowing.
Mr Poopypants
27/08/2012
7:20:46 AM
Matthew!
We are at Charlottes for another week or so. Check your PMs for my email. Central Vic, awesome, heading that way soon. Come up, still in the gong but in Bheath most wends. PM me your email!

G & P
dmnz
27/08/2012
12:41:19 PM
Have heard good things about the Bishops too but I don't want to own (too many) multiple sets of skis anymore. Definitely not a dedicated resort setup for Australia. Switchbacks, maybe Axls and NTNs but I don't want to have to invest in new boots/setup etc esp as the NTN don't seem to really offer AT style release yet
Goldybear
27/08/2012
11:49:47 PM
Let us know when you are down this way!

I'll ping you an email shortly.

A, M, S & E.

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints