Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: 10mm DYNEX: 60cm (24") Runner. (Open round sling) Great for making "extender" quick-draws. IMO   $10.00
28% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Shaping boot liners
Will_P
15/08/2012
5:08:42 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge/experience in shaping mouldable (sp?) inner boots for ski or plastic mounteering boots? My Scarpa Omega's just arrived, with Intuition inners, and the instructions from Intuition consist of 'use the Intuition moulding machine at your dealer', which is not an option (Moosejaw in the US). I'm a bit hesitant to just throw 'em in the oven on 180C and see what happens, so how have you done it, and did it work? Or do I go to Paddy's or AusSki and plead to use their innerboot moulder?

Thanks in advance.

rodw
Online Now
15/08/2012
5:19:43 PM
Can't help ya with advice , but did ya buy them from overseas? If so don't expect much love from Australian based retailers...I bought bindings overseas a few years back and got a lecture at 3 different stores about how i was ripping the heart out from Australian retailers blah blah blah, then told me they didn't have the template to do it anyway .....third time was enough so after the rude spiel I went up to a lady trying on some ski boots and told her how they were half price online and gave her the web address .....
Mr Poopypants
15/08/2012
9:22:55 PM
Yep, just had my tele boots done, PJ is getting hers done this weekend.

Do yourself a favour and shell out $60 to get them done by a bootfitter. Any decent ski shop should be able to do it. Well worth getting footbeds done, too. We got ours done at Jindy Sports. Andy Burford is the man at Thredbo. Genius.

I've got a diabolically bad ankle and knee and getting boots fitted properly has kept me skiing long after the quacks wanted to fuse one and replace the other with titanium.

Failing that there are plenty of youtubes on fitting intuition liners. Not too hard, getting the hot boot liner into the boot is a bit tricky.

Have fun.

G.
Oh yeah, we got ours O.S. as well. Ski shops don't mind, as long as you pay. The boot guys are usually pretty mellow.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
15/08/2012
9:27:16 PM
On 15/08/2012 rodw wrote:
>Can't help ya with advice , but did ya buy them from overseas? If so don't
>expect much love from Australian based retailers...I bought bindings overseas
>a few years back and got a lecture at 3 different stores about how i was
>ripping the heart out from Australian retailers blah blah blah, then told
>me they didn't have the template to do it anyway .....third time was enough
>so after the rude spiel I went up to a lady trying on some ski boots and
>told her how they were half price online and gave her the web address .....

You sandbagged a lady?
~> What did you have against her, apart from not being a climber*??
(*Sandbagging climbers is fair game!)
;-)

rodw
Online Now
15/08/2012
9:50:41 PM
Nah no sandbag..the guys boots in the shop were way over priced and he was being a smart arse...so I acted in kind..she hadn't paid for the boots was just trying them on so was actually doing her a favor.....I must have just got unlucky with 3 cranky shop owners.

tnd
16/08/2012
11:11:57 AM
On 15/08/2012 rodw wrote:
>.....I must have just got unlucky with 3 cranky shop owners.

WTF did you expect? A handshake and a pat on the back? :-)

rodw
Online Now
16/08/2012
12:10:28 PM
Nah just a "nah sorry don't have template but you might try such and such"...I prefer to leave the lectures to me to my wife :)..at least eventually that will lead to a happy ending.
GoUp!
16/08/2012
12:18:10 PM
Try Wildsnow - Lou is a great resource. http://www.wildsnow.com/72/bootfitting-for-backcountry-skiing/ and more generally at http://www.wildsnow.com/category/boot-fitting/

I've followed his oven instructions - it was a bit intimidating putting the liners in the oven, watching them swell and then start to smell but it seemed to work a treat. Remember to give your toes some room - for the molding I made a rough toe box and toe spaces using a cut up foam sleeping pad.
james
16/08/2012
2:41:23 PM
Its not that hard to do. Plenty of ski shops in Nth America pay Australian kids $10/hour to fit ski boots....

Just remember the hotter they get, the softer they are. Hence easy to get wrinkles, or hard to get in the shells if you want to phrase it that way.

If they are not super tight you can get away without molding them - they will still pack out. When I got my current ski boots I was borderline in between sizes (undecided). I got the larger size, didn't mold the Intuition liners & the fit is perfect.
Will_P
17/08/2012
11:56:48 AM
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Goldybear
19/08/2012
12:45:12 PM
Here is another link.

http://www.telemarktips.com/VideoStatic/thermofit.mpg

I've done mine several times in the oven, but you do annoy your spouse by leaving the oven stinking of hot plastic and foam.

Works well. There is a risk, so if you're not prepared to accept it, then shell out the bills to have it done. No one is going to give you a freebie on their heat moulding gear unless they are a good buddy.

As for the 'buying kit OS and having it mounted here' debate, I understand the frustration of retailers. Nonetheless, where does it end? The service is expensive regardless ($300-400 ph work rate). I just got pinged for a $100 to mount a 3 hole tele binding in Melbourne. I won't be using their services again, nor recommending them to anyone. Do you start to refuse doing a tune or a wax because you didn't buy it there?

I had a particularly unpleasant experience at a BC ski shop which had received 10's of 1000's of dollars of work and purchases, that still bitched and moaned about the OS gear issue and then swapped my new skis for a shop soiled and scratched pair. Nice one! Needless to say, I don't buy, refer or use their services either.
Mr Poopypants
19/08/2012
1:01:03 PM
I have no qualms about ski gear. Using tele gear means you're lucky just to find what you need in Oz, much less dealing with lack of stock and outrageous prices.
I tried for 3yrs to get the right sized tele boots here. Gave up this season and got them online. less than 1/2 the price they are here - and I got the right size! Skis & bindings likewise. Couldn't even get the skis I wanted here, got them online for $300 delivered.

It amazes me how business types are all for the global economy - for them, but not for us on the consuming end.

I'd be happy to pay a bit more for good service and the ability to try before buying etc. Rarely possible with backcountry ski gear in Oz.

Got to say that several times I've found that ski shops in Jindy or Thredbo have been very good about fitting boots. They don't sell tele boots, anyway and some of them tele so are pretty helpful.
Got some skis mounted a few years back by a shop here, one binding was 8cm further back on the ski than the other one! Gave up and went back to mounting my own.

G.
james
19/08/2012
1:42:15 PM
also don't forget Intuition liners can be molded several times (at least 3). Some people mold them quickly at the start of each winter. So if you mess it up the first time you can just do it again.

jackb
20/08/2012
11:27:47 AM
rodw - You dont need the template (or jig) to mount bindings. It just makes it easier. You need to find a better ski shop.

There are 14 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints