Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: DMM ALLOY "Offset" have arrived!!! #Sizes 7 - 11. (5 piece) Range: 12 to 23.5mm. (Great Compliment to DMM Wallnuts. (Refer Peenuts for Profile) Awesome Pro!  $93.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
tight wad shoe repairs

stugang
4/08/2012
2:41:28 PM
Hey fellow waddies

Have any of you got any tips for patching a toe on a climbing slipper that has worn through to the leather.

The shoes are too crappy to bother paying for a resole, but good enough to chuck a few laps at burnley on my daily ride to work. In the past I have tried the goo used to repair wetsuits, but didn't really rate it (i ended up preferring the leather on my toe than the goo).

Anyone tried something else....I thought of bike puncture repair shit????


pezz
4/08/2012
2:55:47 PM
Sikaflex?
widewetandslippery
4/08/2012
2:59:26 PM
I'm sure these arnt the only dead shoes you have. Fillet an old sole and kwickgip it

stugang
4/08/2012
3:02:17 PM
On 4/08/2012 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I'm sure these arnt the only dead shoes you have. Fillet an old sole and
>kwickgip it

Bingo...now i feel stupid for not thinking of it earlier.

thanks

IdratherbeclimbingM9
4/08/2012
7:31:43 PM
Shoegoo*.
(*Spelling may be incorrect?)

Skateboarders use it to repair/protect vulnerable parts of their shoes.

Old wad aid climber uses it to repair worn toes of aidclimbing shoes (retired approach shoes).
It works.
It will even repair splits in the side-rands that flex during use...
It comes in clear and also in black.

At about $15 for a smallish tube (about 10 cm length), you might not think it wad enough, but that amount will repair a lot of shoes...
;-)

I obtained it from a skateboard shop, and have not seen it available anywhere else...
Dr Nick
5/08/2012
7:43:20 AM
I've found ShoeGoo in K-mart before, so the big department stores are worth a look. If you leave it around for too long it cures in the tube, but if you're bodging stuff every 6-12 months it should be OK. I can't remember how long it was sitting in the garage before I found it again...

Bunnings do a Selley's badged "shoe repair glue" as well, which seems to hold soles on OK, but I haven't tried it for bodging up holes yet.

mistergribble
5/08/2012
9:01:11 AM
You can get ShooGoo from suppliers of cricket gear as it's useful as a toeguard for a bat

Not sure of its durability on the high wear area of a climbing boot
skegly
5/08/2012
11:29:33 AM
On 4/08/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Shoegoo*.

>I obtained it from a skateboard shop, and have not seen it available anywhere
>else...

Hey Rod,
What are you doing hanging around skate shops?
;)
widewetandslippery
5/08/2012
6:23:11 PM
make sure you get the really smelly (sniffing glue) type contact cement not the water based stuff

IdratherbeclimbingM9
5/08/2012
7:03:11 PM
On 5/08/2012 skegly wrote:
>On 4/08/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>Shoegoo*.
>
>>I obtained it from a skateboard shop, and have not seen it available
>anywhere
>>else...
>
>Hey Rod,
>What are you doing hanging around skate shops?
>;)

Ahh glasshopper you have much ground to make up ride yet!
Next time we meet I shall regail you of early 1970's daring deeds (now folklore in some quarters), done on Lentara Rd -Loquat Vally Rd, Bayview (back when cars were infrequent on those roads)...

We'd go as a group of up to a dozen or so vehicles. Park 11 of them at the base of the hill, and pack into 1 car to go up to Minkara Reserve, skateboard enmasse down to the cars, repeat, x remaining cars!
~> Several km (read miles in those days), of continuous downhill run in one go, let alone multiple trips...
~> ~> Using graphite pre-run and taking spare wheel bearings were good options!
skegly
5/08/2012
9:59:57 PM
>>What are you doing hanging around skate shops?
>>;)
>
>Ahh glasshopper you have much ground to make up ride yet!
>Next time we meet I shall regail you of early 1970's daring deeds (now
>folklore in some quarters), done on Lentara Rd -Loquat Vally Rd, Bayview
>(back when cars were infrequent on those roads)...
>
>We'd go as a group of up to a dozen or so vehicles. Park 11 of them at
>the base of the hill, and pack into 1 car to go up to Minkara Reserve,
>skateboard enmasse down to the cars, repeat, x remaining cars!
>~> Several km (read miles in those days), of continuous downhill run in
>one go, let alone multiple trips...
>~> ~> Using graphite pre-run and taking spare wheel bearings were good
>options!
was that on clay wheels?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
6/08/2012
5:48:48 PM
Nah, I learnt skateboarding in the rubber era, and the original wheels were often ratted off rollerskates, though the rollerskate 'trucks' were hopeless for serious downhilling...
I clearly remember the newfangled invention of polyurethane wheels when they first arrived in Sydney. They were narrow and tall in profile, and came in solid colours, though were quite hard; but when the softer wide profile versions came out we were stoked because they had better grip!
;-)

... I am pretty sure I still have some of the originals in the shed gathering dust!

There are 12 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints