Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Edelrid: "Ultralight Helmet" (Red) Fits 54 - 60cm Great heavy duty all-rounder. SUPER SPECIAL for a short time only!  $79.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Another deadly abseilling technique
mikllaw
3/08/2012
6:00:49 PM
I found this in Asley's book of knots
"How would you lower yourself from a precipice, with a rope just long enough to reach the ground, and then continue on your way carrying your rope with you?"

knot 2535
It's probably slightly more secure on a hemp rope (we know you want to say it macca). Finding the right tree and edge is most of the problem I think.

Maybe an extra twist would help?

Maybe I should leave well alone.
Mr Poopypants
3/08/2012
6:38:36 PM
Excellent! If it's in the Ashley Book of Knots, it's gotta be right!

Break out the test rig, I'll bring the blanket for the fireman's belay.

:-)

Duang Daunk
3/08/2012
7:01:52 PM
On 3/08/2012 Mr Poopypants wrote:
>Excellent! If it's in the Ashley Book of Knots, it's gotta be right!
>
>Break out the test rig, I'll bring the blanket for the fireman's belay.
>
>:-)

Security blanket?
A helmet might be better, but in any event dont tie yourself into the firemans belay so that you can step aside from the mess!
paul
3/08/2012
9:25:16 PM
That seems even more dodgey that riging something with a shoe lace, fifi hook and an elastic band which someone once tried to sugest that I do
widewetandslippery
3/08/2012
9:37:16 PM
isn't this the knot that killed marco pedrini (first solo of the compressor route) somewhere in the alps?
egosan
3/08/2012
9:52:27 PM
looking for the scary elastic and fife hook technique video I have seen, I found this gem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5xpEfhfLF0

Don't watch the whole thing, I would feel bad if you did.

It gets better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBGOd8psA5I

Gold, I found it:
Crazy Mexican canyoneers.

Muy Peligroso!
Mr Poopypants
3/08/2012
11:57:29 PM
Duh! You're missing the point - check out the original picture - clearly this is meant to only be used on the way to church, with god on your side.

Clearly, not a knot for Mikl.

G.

Macciza
4/08/2012
2:45:51 AM
I am more concerned by his body-rappel technique - the anchor is fine . . .

pmonks
4/08/2012
2:46:02 AM
Check out this "Kamikaze Knot" too (apologies for crap quality - it's the only copy of this clip that I could find):

jrc
5/08/2012
9:56:27 AM
A hithlain rope is best for this knot. ask Sam Gamgee (Tolkien, Two Towers Book4)

Macciza
5/08/2012
10:57:30 PM
That is pure brilliance . . .

IdratherbeclimbingM9
6/08/2012
6:02:28 PM
On 5/08/2012 Macciza wrote:
>That is pure brilliance . . .

presumably re egosan's link of;
Gold, I found it:
Crazy Mexican canyoneers.

I have not done it, but I reckon it is a valid trick to have in the bag if ever needed(!), so yeah, I agree with Macciza.
The trick would be getting off the rope while still maintaining rope tension, to enable 'releasing' the rope in one shot, as I reckon it would have potential to get hung up easily...

Paulie
12/08/2012
8:01:20 PM
On 3/08/2012 egosan wrote:
>Gold, I found it:
>Crazy Mexican canyoneers.

That is seriously crazy. Yeah I reckon I'll stick to my double 60mtr 8mm ropes thanks...

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints