Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: 120cm Nylon Runner. (Open sewn sling) 18mm wide nylon. Assorted colours. Awesome value IMO.   $8.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
Author
Climbing Helmets for Cycling?
leopotamus
25/01/2012
11:06:56 AM
Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone here has thoughts/recommendations of a climbing helmet that is suitable for cycling? A distant memory is telling me that petzl make a helmet that is 'rated' for cycling but can't, for the love of god, remember the name.

Thanks,
Leo
dalai
25/01/2012
11:55:26 AM
Doubt the Petzl will have the ASNZ test standard which is officially required to ride on the road...

Why not buy a cheap ASNZ approved helmet for the bike and save the climbing helmet for the rock?

Eduardo Slabofvic
25/01/2012
12:17:07 PM
Buy a cheap helmet if you've got a cheap head.

The standard is a good standard, but buy one that fits well, regardless of cost.

You could always wear your bike helmet climbing, just don't climb anywhere where the rock breaks up into pieces small enough to fit through the venting.
PDRM
25/01/2012
12:18:40 PM
Kong had a helmet that we EU compliant for climbing, cycling and paddling at one stage.
P

http://www.kong.it/doc305.htm

"It is the only one helmet
which fulfils four standards:

EN 12492 and U.I.A.A. 106
for every climbing on rock and ice

EN 1078
for cycling, mountain-bike, skate-board

EN 1384
for equestrian
EN 1385
for canoeing, rafting, hydro-speed"
dalai
25/01/2012
12:31:00 PM
On 25/01/2012 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>Buy a cheap helmet if you've got a cheap head.
>
>The standard is a good standard, but buy one that fits well, regardless
>of cost.

Well fitting helmet was implied naturally Ed. But was just saying an ASNZ approved doesn't have to cost a lot of dollars...

Eduardo Slabofvic
25/01/2012
1:20:32 PM
On 25/01/2012 dalai wrote:
>>Well fitting helmet was implied naturally Ed. But was just saying an ASNZ
>approved doesn't have to cost a lot of dollars...

Agreed. We should get married.
dalai
25/01/2012
1:44:09 PM
On 25/01/2012 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>Agreed. We should get married.

Finally! I have been waiting for your proposal for years... ;-)

Miguel75
25/01/2012
1:46:53 PM
On 25/01/2012 leopotamus wrote:
>A distant memory is telling me that petzl make a helmet that is 'rated' for cycling but can't, for the love
>of god, remember the name.

I believe you're thinking of the Petzl kids helmet, the Picchu. It's designed for climbing and cycling...

climbau
25/01/2012
1:57:41 PM
And the Petzl Meteor III+.
But as Dalai said, not ASNZS approved - so therefore you would not be able to wear it at any organised event. And it cannot be sold as a bike helmet in Oz.

*EDIT* Same deal with the Kong helmet as well.
gfdonc
25/01/2012
2:08:47 PM
On 25/01/2012 climbau wrote:
>But as Dalai said, not ASNZS approved - so therefore you would not be
>able to wear it at any organised event. And it cannot be sold as a bike
>helmet in Oz.

Correct on the last point but I'm not sure what you meant by "organised event". Road cycling perhaps?
Downhill MTB helmets for example are not (last I heard) AS/NZS approved because the compliance and testing cost is large (rumour: around $35k) hence most downhill racers are racing with a safe, full-face helmet that can't legally be used for riding on the road. Heh.

Ultimately the Au government has to mutually recognise some of these standards to help, rather than hinder, local importers and product developers.

Will_P
25/01/2012
2:20:28 PM
Are you looking for one that you can use (safely) for both because of financial reasons or are you planning a climbing & cycling trip? If it's financial, buy a $5 'City Of Melbourne' subsidised helmet in the CBD (sold at various 7/11's for the rent-a-bike scheme), and spend the rest on a decent climbing helmet. If it's because you need something multipurpose, then ignore me. Because I'd laugh loudly at anyone climbing in a City Of Melbourne bike helmet.

evanbb
25/01/2012
2:39:54 PM
I've got a Kong Scarab, which is the one described above rated for all the things. I love it, wear it cycling all the time, have had it for a few years now.

Here is a cool photo of me wearing it.

Note mountaineering velcro KT26s.

Eduardo Slabofvic
25/01/2012
2:57:57 PM
That's the coolest photo of you I've ever seen

IdratherbeclimbingM9
25/01/2012
5:23:12 PM
What's with the shorts over the leggings thing ebb?

gfdonc wrote;
>Correct on the last point but I'm not sure what you meant by "organised event". Road cycling perhaps?
>Downhill MTB helmets for example are not (last I heard) AS/NZS approved because the compliance and testing cost is large (rumour: around $35k) hence most downhill racers are racing with a safe, full-face helmet that can't legally be used for riding on the road. Heh.

>Ultimately the Au government has to mutually recognise some of these standards to help, rather than hinder, local importers and product developers.

~> Not a shot at gfdonc, but simply using his post as a trigger...

I can't be bothered looking up the links, but there have been a number of posts on different motorcycling forums regarding the current idiotic state of (motorcycling) 'helmet standards' and relevant laws.

What I make of it is that there is MAJOR discrepancy between even the same standard depending on the year of certification of such standard, and the old international vs Australian thing has been further subjugated to State vs State thing.
~> The ultimate reality is that at present there is probably not a single motorcycling helmet in Australia that complies with all international/Australian/State laws... !!

Common sense dictates that motorcyclists wear a helmet, but if a copper should issue an infringement for it not complying, then they would be on thin legal ground indeed.

I imagine the same scenario applies to climbing helmets and treadly helmets if one was to seriously look into the law/certifications behind the scenes...

climbau
25/01/2012
7:55:52 PM
Regarding MTB events, single speed and X-country events have a requirement for competitors to be in an AS/NZS helmet according to the folks I work with. There is every possibility that in the case of DH, if a risk assessment is conducted and the conclusion is that an AS/NZS helmet does not provide sufficient protection, then they are bound by their duty of care to look outside the standard. I do not have access to a copy of the standard for cycling helmets so I cannot say for sure.

Industries can vary with Standards compliance and there could very well be differences between motor vehicle and bicycle compliance requirements.
The big problem is the expense of getting a copy of the relevant Standard, knowing the jargon, and trawling through the legislation (state and federal) which leads to some people thinking they know, but the majority of those actually don't.
Be careful who you talk to. Chat to local manufacturers and importers and work through the chaff.

At the end of the day, you can probably wear what ever helmet you want. Just don't expect the Police/Cycling event organisers/Standards Committees/etc... to accept your decision without you showing evidence of your claims, even then an event organiser can still turn around and not accept your argument should they wish.

patto
25/01/2012
8:31:32 PM
Australian standards for bicycle helmets require regular batch testing. For this reason, helmets sold in lower volume are uneconomic. Due to this, many different helmets including bicycle helmets and multisport helmets that meet the requirements still don't get the certification.

Riding on Australian roads requires you to wear a certified helmet. Good luck that a police office could identify the difference though (beyond checking for a sticker, which in of itself is not definitive.)

aarond
27/01/2012
11:09:01 AM
i climb in my riding helmet. Killed 2 birds with one stone and saved $120

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/3426389864_330ae7fb16.jpg

Paulie
27/01/2012
7:36:20 PM
You'd have to be mad to wear anything but a full face for DH...

Personally, I wear a bike helmet when I'm being deadly on the treadly and a climbing helmet for when I go climbing with gordoste :-)

Climbing helmets won't protect the back of your skull like a bike helmet will...and good luck with falling rocks in a bike helmet...

You can pick up a proper certified bike helmet for $30- from most stores so there's no excuse.
PDRM
28/01/2012
9:26:42 AM
On 25/01/2012 climbau wrote:

>At the end of the day, you can probably wear what ever helmet you want.
>Just don't expect the Police/Cycling event organisers/Standards Committees/etc...
>to accept your decision without you showing evidence of your claims, even
>then an event organiser can still turn around and not accept your argument
>should they wish.

Same messy situation applies with rope access helmets as i understand it.

P

Eduardo Slabofvic
28/01/2012
10:56:06 AM
On 28/01/2012 PDRM wrote:
>
>Same messy situation applies with rope access helmets as i understand
>it.

Tell them that you're doing experimental performance art, then you're exempt from the Act.

Mind you, you'll have to be really bad and behave pretentiously otherwise no one will believe you.

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
There are 28 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints