Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Set of 11 "Wallnuts" (1 to 11) N/B NEW Anodized colours!!! New "lighter" version. Steve's favourite wired Nuts.  $169.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
monkey fist knot

pezz
30/11/2011
12:02:56 AM
more so out of interest than actually using it, i decided to learn to tie monkey fist knots.
the way i currently tie them has either one or two tails coming out of it.
now what i want to know is how do you tie one with a loop of rope coming out of it with no visible knot

anyone have a good link or explanation for how to do this

on a side note, i have found they make for a great dog toy
willow
30/11/2011
8:44:48 AM
Ashley Book of Knots. free download on net. fantastic book

deadbudgy
30/11/2011
8:58:47 AM
I think you can stuff the tail into the center of the knot to make it neat and add extra heft

Robb
30/11/2011
9:04:21 AM
monkey fists are great for hitting people in the balls. I did it by accident with one a friend made and it was rather funny.

pezz
30/11/2011
9:43:33 AM
On 30/11/2011 deadbudgy wrote:
>I think you can stuff the tail into the center of the knot to make it neat
>and add extra heft

just did it with a stopper knot on the end of the tail, came up a treat

i wonder what kind of load it could take?

Eduardo Slabofvic
30/11/2011
9:59:39 AM
I think the idea is to have a longish tail that you tie back onto the rope behind the monkey fist to make a loop with the fist at the apex, so its got weight at the end so you can throw it over something, like a bollard
james
30/11/2011
9:55:53 PM
I think the only way to make it neat is to tuck 1 end inside the knot somewhere, I doubt you could get 2 ends coming out the same place, neatly in a loop.

Monkeys fist are old sailing knots & have no practical purpose other than what eduardo said.

pezz
30/11/2011
10:15:51 PM
On 30/11/2011 james wrote:

>Monkeys fist are old sailing knots & have no practical purpose other than
>what eduardo said.

They also make a great dog toy.
But i remember seeing a movie years back (on vhs) of some people leading on knots of rope, due to hardware being band from use in there area.. not sure if they used this knot or......... not.

Im not planing on ditching my trad rack for a bunch of knotted cords, but i am tempted to plug one into a crack above some bomer gear and take a whipper to see how it handles it.
But more than likey just keep them to dog toys and key chains

Pat
1/12/2011
9:32:11 AM
On 30/11/2011 james wrote:
>
>Monkeys fist are old sailing knots & have no practical purpose other than
>what eduardo said.

What is impratical about hitting a friend in the testicles?

Eduardo Slabofvic
1/12/2011
10:55:10 AM
On 1/12/2011 Pat wrote:
>On 30/11/2011 james wrote:
>>
>>Monkeys fist are old sailing knots & have no practical purpose other
>than
>>what eduardo said.
>
>What is impratical about hitting a friend in the testicles?

Its always good to discover a new use for a knot
Samuel
2/12/2011
8:37:59 AM
I don't know. Robb seems to have found a fairly practical use.
You could use them to defend your rack and packets of tim tams.

tariadamar
2/12/2011
8:45:47 AM
>But i remember seeing a movie years back (on vhs) of some people leading
>on knots of rope, due to hardware being band from use in there area..
>not sure if they used this knot or......... not.

yeah man it is in germany i think. it is a bunch of sandstone pillars i think. no trad gear allowed and no bolts. they even showed where a climb had been bolted and the bolts all got cut within a week.

The good Dr
2/12/2011
9:18:46 AM
On 2/12/2011 tariadamar wrote:
>.
>>But i remember seeing a movie years back (on vhs) of some people leading
>>on knots of rope, due to hardware being band from use in there area..
>
>>not sure if they used this knot or......... not.
>
>
>yeah man it is in germany i think. it is a bunch of sandstone pillars
>i think. no trad gear allowed and no bolts. they even showed where a climb
>had been bolted and the bolts all got cut within a week.

The place you are thinking of is an area called the Elbsandstein (Saxon Schweiz). The rock is very soft and metal equipment would make a mess of it. No chalk either. It is the birth place of free climbing and they have been at it for over 100 years in the area. The climbing is on towers. I spent 2 weeks there in October and the climbing is awesome. Fortunately I had a friend from the area who kindly dragged me up all sorts of classics. Watching someone onsight routes at 24/25 on slings and knots is extremely impressive, particularly as I was having my ar5e handed to me on a platter on most of the climbs. There are bolts (massive rings) but these are quite spaced. The ethics are different on the Czech side of the border where bolts are more prevelant, though still spaced. Did pick up a monkeys fist (they also call them babies heads) from on of the outdoor shops. When they make them they are not perfectly round and a more oval shape means more placement options.

deadbudgy
2/12/2011
9:19:34 AM
Is it like Bielatal in germany? The rules are as follows:
- No bolts
- No cams
- No nuts
- No top roping
- No chalk
- Sign the book at the top of each pillar before rapping off.

http://www.thecrag.com/area/13991725

bw
2/12/2011
11:17:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c83lw1JW1v4
pharmamatt
2/12/2011
3:53:55 PM
There's a pretty good part in The Sharp End that shows off elbsandstein, including some crazy tower jumping

post edit: the you tube clip is from the same trip that featured in the sharp end.

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints