Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Austrialpin: OVALO Straight Gate. Strength: 25 10 8kN (Heavy Duty) N/B Perfect for Racking wired Nuts? IMO   $12.00
45% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Topic Date User
Help me build my woody (or, you build, I pay) Thursday, 10 September 2009 At 3:13:31 AM Freemo
Sounds like all woody builders encounter similar issues. I'm using 45mm x 70mm treated pine covered with 12mm ply. I'm making two panels, each consisting of a 30 x 180cm kickboard that'll be dyna-bolted to the back wall of my (rental) house transferring the load into the concrete path. Hinged to this using five 75mm hinges will be a 200 x 180cm panel. The upper panel will also be bolted to the wall - but when unbolted - will hang about 15 degrees out supported by chains into the roof trusses. I plan to use some posts set into the garden to support the woody when on more steep angles as I don't trust the chain-to-roof setup. One panel set is complete and is certainly strong enough so the design is good. I have some photos I'll post when I return to Oz in a fortnight. (Yep - I'm at 'work' in the US and have found an internet connection, fantastic).
I borrowed a mates circular saw and cut all the timber at one go. Other than the saw I've used a cordless drill as the frame is joined using 75mm 8-10 gauge screws. The hinges are attached with 50mm 10 gauge screws and the ply with 35mm 8 gauge screws. Another issue I discovered in the need to seal the ply as it absorbs water like a sponge (I used CD ply, not rich enough to buy marine ply). The water based sealer was pretty crap so I'd recommed a cheap polyurethane.

Cost = approx. $300 for timber and this gives 3.6m wide x 2.3m high climbing area

Cheers

There are 21 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints