Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond "STOPPER" Set. (Sizes 4 to 13) - 10 pieces. Comes with a "free" karabiner for racking.   $109.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Find Climbers

Find Climbers In Your Area

Author
planning trip for Feb - May 2013
expresso
1/09/2012
1:02:45 AM
Hi - I'm a UK climber planning a dream trip to Arapiles. Searching the forums I'm wondering whether Feb could be too hot? Initially I'd be looking to lead 17s and under and not sure if the shady routes are all a lot harder? But wouldn't mind climbing early and late and having lazy mid day breaks.

Another option is to head to the Blue Mountains for a month of Sport climbing - how easy is it to meet other climbers there, as I'm coming out on my own. Although this option would complicate my budget and having to carry trad and sport gear.

Any comments very welcome and apologies if I've missed relevant threads (yep realised after this should be in crag beta...)

cheers

ajfclark
1/09/2012
7:58:38 AM
Quite a bit of the mount stays shady in summer. Off the top of my head: Shady side of bushrangers, King rat gully, Central Gully Right and Upper, The back of The Pharos and parts of Pharos Gully, and southern side of Mitre Rock.

Duang Daunk
1/09/2012
8:36:47 AM
On 1/09/2012 expresso wrote:
>I'm wondering whether Feb could be too hot?
Yep, especially if you think 30 is a hot day in the old country.

>not sure if the shady routes are all a lot harder?
Depends if they were put up by shady characters or not.

>But wouldn't mind climbing early and late and having lazy mid day breaks.
Dont apply for work in the Nati Cafe then!

>
>Another option is to head to the Blue Mountains for a month of Sport climbing
Not much left there now after the latest bolt chopping episode.

>- how easy is it to meet other climbers there, as I'm coming out on my
>own. Although this option would complicate my budget and having to carry
>trad and sport gear.
Are you a chick?
If yu are then it will be easy.

Pat
1/09/2012
10:18:32 AM
Go and climb in Tassie during Feb then make your way to Araps from March onwards - weather is likely to be a bit more hospitable that way.
Wendy
1/09/2012
12:35:32 PM
Feb here might be a shock coming from Britain, but I climb all summer here with no dramas. And whilst you may get a week over 40, you may also get a stunning month of early 30s. The last 2 summers have been quite mild, the one before that, one of the hottest on record. Even I ran away for the two weeks over 40. If you are talking late Feb though,it's not likely to be getting too hot anymore.

There are plenty of shady routes at all grades at the mount, and you could always team up with some people from the pines to go to the Gramps, the beach or even Buffalo if desperate. Go to a swimming hole or sit in the airconditioned comfort of the cafe.

Going to Tassie will definitely extend the budget. Whislt Feb is a good time for it, you'll need to get a car to get to any crags and it's a flight or ferry away. find climbing partners before you go because I can't think of anywhere you are likely to just find some. The Blueys, well if you turn up to a popular sport crag like the Glen, you should be able to meet people, but I'd hope your sport grades are a little more than 17 or your options are going to be limited. You would probably need a car. Whilst some crags are walkable from the train, there's a dearth of convenient camping at them. No guarantee that the Blueys might not be hot or humid or pissing down or snowing. The weather there can be all over the shop.

I wouldn't let the weather dissuade you from just coming here - it is by far the cheapest, most convenient, extensive quality climbing and easiest place to find climbing partners in Aus, possibly in the world. Put it off a week or two and come at the start of March if you're really worried. March and April are my favourite months here.

Eduardo Slabofvic
1/09/2012
1:20:39 PM
During summer, I usually don't climb until after 3pm, and on those rare occasions when I work, I can make it to the crag by about 6pm. It will be light enough to climb up until about 9pm.

You will be spending most of you time in the gulleys, where you will find plenty of good routes.

I second the Tasmania option in summer.

April is probably the best time to be at Araps.
expresso
1/09/2012
5:28:49 PM
Hey thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated

Tasmania is out of my budget right now but I don't mind hanging out at Arapiles/the beach waiting for it to cool down. And its good to know there's a few shady options and other keen folk willing to sweat it out

Hopefully see some of you out there

And yes I am a chick, a middle aged one, not sure they carry the same cache...?

Duang Daunk
1/09/2012
7:59:51 PM
On 1/09/2012 expresso wrote:
>And yes I am a chick, a middle aged one, not sure they carry the same cache...?

If you want to protect the cache, then beware of a middle aged golden haired boulderer who is often found at Arapiles cos he is always in search of themn when he isn't writing guide books.

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints