Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: BOA (HMS)Keylock Screwgate 25 10 8 kN Steve's favourite belay screwgate.   $20.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Point Perp - Bolting Guidelines and New Routes
Climb Point Perp
25/04/2013
6:02:47 PM
Hi all,
In response to the recent retro bolting and subsequent bolt chopping at Point Perpendicular I thought it might be helpful to write a set of bolting guidelines for Point Perp. The majority of these guidelines are an extract from Bob McMillan’s previous guidebook. They are posted at pointperp.com.

There have been a number of new routes put up at Point Perp since the guide book has come out. New routes seem to be going up on a weekly basis so for up to date information visit thecrag.com

Happy climbing,

Robert Dun
mikllaw
26/04/2013
8:36:24 AM
Nice, simple, and easy to understand. Well done.
maxdacat
Online Now
26/04/2013
8:40:16 AM
ring bolts on the cliff top are a "trip hazard" but carrots aren't....o-rly?
hotgemini
26/04/2013
9:07:43 AM
Yeah, this was the only thing which stood out to me in an otherwise entirely reasonable document. Having kicked the living shit out a number of abseil carrots with bare feet at perp over the years, I'd much rather trip over a recessed ring than a carrot.

Other than that, an entirely reasonable document in my opinion.
pecheur
26/04/2013
9:19:03 AM
On 26/04/2013 hotgemini wrote:
>Yeah, this was the only thing which stood out to me in an otherwise entirely
>reasonable document. Having kicked the living shit out a number of abseil
>carrots with bare feet at perp over the years, I'd much rather trip over
>a recessed ring than a carrot.
>
>Other than that, an entirely reasonable document in my opinion.

Theoretically a carrot could be lower profile than a recessed ring since all you have to get through it is a hanger, course in bare feet carrots are more painful to stumble over (though at least that way you might be able to find them...) However in terms of visual pollution the carrots were fantastic it took us ages to find some of them and we had the guide book giving us the approximate location, where as the one ring bolt we saw used for belays stuck out like the proverbial.

PS I thought the guide book was fantastic, I did find it a little disconcerting though to find the same person (Mikl) providing the review and quoted in the testimonials on the link provided. For those of us who know who Mike is that's fine, however to someone who doesn't it'd seem strange.

nmonteith
26/04/2013
9:42:01 AM
On 26/04/2013 pecheur wrote:
>PS I thought the guide book was fantastic, I did find it a little disconcerting
>though to find the same person (Mikl) providing the review and quoted in
>the testimonials on the link provided. For those of us who know who Mike
>is that's fine, however to someone who doesn't it'd seem strange.

The "testimonials" are quotes taken from this forum. And the review was from Rock magazine. I don't see the problem?
pecheur
26/04/2013
9:52:02 AM
On 26/04/2013 nmonteith wrote:
>On 26/04/2013 pecheur wrote:
>>PS I thought the guide book was fantastic, I did find it a little disconcerting
>>though to find the same person (Mikl) providing the review and quoted
>in
>>the testimonials on the link provided. For those of us who know who
>Mike
>>is that's fine, however to someone who doesn't it'd seem strange.
>
>The "testimonials" are quotes taken from this forum. And the review was
>from Rock magazine. I don't see the problem?

Quoting the same person from various sources is generally not seen to add to the validity of a statement, well unless both sources are peer reviewed? It's a perceived credibility thing.

"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on Chockstone.
"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on Facebook.
"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on whatever SRC's site is.

Or even worse

"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on the General Forum
"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on the Crag & Route Beta Forum
"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on the Trip Report Forum

Doesn't make the statements any more or less true.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26/04/2013
9:52:54 AM
On 26/04/2013 pecheur wrote:
>I did find it a little disconcerting though to find the same person (Mikl) providing the review and quoted in the testimonials on the link provided. For those of us who know who Mike is that's fine, however to someone who doesn't it'd seem strange.

Who is Mikl?
;-)

Don’t put ring bolts on the cliff top
There They’re big, ugly and a trip hazard. Use carrots instead.

Fixed the pedant alert.. ;-)



Mikl’s Rock Review.
Even the location of the super discreet carrot anchors are laid out in the topos (they are pretty invisible, sometimes you 'd give up and belay on bushes then notice you were sitting on the carrot belay).


+1 regarding carrots are more discreet than rings, plus they are more in keeping with the request (at link provided) by Robert to respect the history/ethic/original ascents of the area.


maxdacat
Online Now
26/04/2013
10:00:33 AM
On 26/04/2013 hotgemini wrote:
>. Having kicked the living shit out a number of abseil
>carrots with bare feet at perp over the years, I'd much rather trip over
>a recessed ring than a carrot.
>

If you're kicking the "living shit" out of bolts with bare feet on a cliff edge you might have more to worry about than a stubbed toe :p
Nick Clow
26/04/2013
11:17:52 AM
Nice one Rob
martym
26/04/2013
1:35:05 PM
On 26/04/2013 pecheur wrote:
>On 26/04/2013 nmonteith wrote:
>>On 26/04/2013 pecheur wrote:
>>>PS I thought the guide book was fantastic, I did find it a little disconcerting
>>>though to find the same person (Mikl) providing the review and quoted
>>in
>>>the testimonials on the link provided. For those of us who know who
>>Mike
>>>is that's fine, however to someone who doesn't it'd seem strange.
>>
>>The "testimonials" are quotes taken from this forum. And the review was
>>from Rock magazine. I don't see the problem?
>
>Quoting the same person from various sources is generally not seen to
>add to the validity of a statement, well unless both sources are peer reviewed?
> It's a perceived credibility thing.
>
>"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on Chockstone.
>"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on Facebook.
>"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on whatever SRC's site is.
>
>Or even worse
>
>"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on the General Forum
>"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on the Crag & Route Beta Forum
>"Neil's a tyrant". Macca on the Trip Report Forum
>
>Doesn't make the statements any more or less true.
I think you'll find it's "Niel"
martym
26/04/2013
1:39:30 PM
On 26/04/2013 maxdacat wrote:
>On 26/04/2013 hotgemini wrote:
>>. Having kicked the living shit out a number of abseil
>>carrots with bare feet at perp over the years, I'd much rather trip over
>>a recessed ring than a carrot.
>>
>
>If you're kicking the "living shit" out of bolts with bare feet on a cliff
>edge you might have more to worry about than a stubbed toe :p
I've got a visual image of someone dangling by their toe stuck through a ringbolt above the ocean...
rightarmbad
26/04/2013
6:38:35 PM
Neil's a tyrant.

There you go, fully independent corroborating evidence.

nmonteith
26/04/2013
7:20:15 PM
On 26/04/2013 rightarmbad wrote:
>Neil's a tyrant.

I love you too xxxxxxxoooooooo

Macciza
26/04/2013
8:23:20 PM
I really don't think it's quite fair ganging up on Monty like that, but hopefully he'll just ignore you all . . .

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26/04/2013
8:49:48 PM
On 26/04/2013 Macciza wrote:
>I really don't think it's quite fair ganging up on Monty like that, but
>hopefully he'll just ignore you all . . .

~> as he seems to be doing to you, ongoing? ...
rightarmbad
26/04/2013
9:06:27 PM
Can I be banned too if I promise to chop one of your routes?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26/04/2013
9:13:38 PM
On 26/04/2013 rightarmbad wrote:
>Can I be banned too if I promise to chop one of your routes?

Who's routes?
~> You would be hard pressed to chop one of mine as none of them are bolted, and most are not written up, ... so finding them is another matter!
;-)

nmonteith
26/04/2013
11:11:40 PM
On 26/04/2013 rightarmbad wrote:
>Can I be banned too if I promise to chop one of your routes?

Has anyone told you that you have lovely thighs? Yum yum.

There are 19 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints