Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: Super Chute Rope Bag. Volume 25 litres. Single adjustable shoulder strap. Rope tarp dimensions: 146 X 126cm. 400d nylon. Assorted colours. (Holds up to 80M Rope) Only 2 left!  $39.00
44% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Mt Kinabalu roped climbing beta

ryguy
14/08/2012
7:38:00 PM
A mate and I are in Borneo this week. Kinabalu is on the list to-do, but we're a bit discouraged by all the tour companies and fees.

However we're also overwhelmingly inspired and excited by Yuji Hirayama, Daniel Woods, James Pearson and Caroline Ciavaldini's recent hard routes at high elevation.
We heard there might be a 10 pitch 6a or a number of other non-9a routes on amazing granite.
We've started a little communication with MountainTorq, but wondering if anyone else has some recent info on the climbing up there.

It seems the fees and permitting have changed a lot in the past few years.

wallwombat
14/08/2012
8:29:15 PM
You aren't after "roped climbing beta",

You are after, 'how do I get there without paying a fortune' beta.

All those climbers you mentioned are sponsored by The North Face.

Try ringing TFN and telling them you're really good.

It might work,

Otherwise I have heard that guiding companies have Kinabalu pretty sewn up and you will pay more than you want to, no matter what,

ryguy
15/08/2012
1:03:07 AM
yeah i know it costs a lot and i'm work on working that out with local contacts.

but if anyone has some info on the routes up there, I am interested.

seems like the North Face crew was up there for publicity and personal enjoyment, not really to open a new playground for traveling climbers, but it's worth the inquiries to see what we can get up to.

wallwombat
15/08/2012
2:42:05 AM
Heres some info. Seems to be mountains of red tape.

http://www.summitpost.org/kinabalu/150341

Climboholic
15/08/2012
1:51:47 PM
Kinabalu has some nice looking rock and I'm sure there would be routes up there.

The tricky bit would be getting through the gate at the bottom of the walking trail. Once you're through I think you could find a climbing area without being disturbed (most tourists stick to the one path, although there is a guided via ferrata).

Some friends of mine ran up and down in a day, so I think it's possible to get in without a guide (they didn't have a guide running along behind when I saw them).

As for specific route discriptions/locations; sorry, can't help you out as I was just walking and envisaging the potential.

There are 5 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints