Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

DMM: Viper Size L (2013 model)- Dark Blue piping... Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 87-104cm Legs: 55-70cm   $89.00
41% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Buffalo (General) (General) (General) [ Mt Buffalo Guide | Images ] 

Author
Mt Buffalo Camping Alternatives

Hendo
14/01/2010
3:12:08 PM
I've had this vague plan to head on my first trip to Buffalo for a few months and the time my climbing partner and I had allocated has snuck up all of a sudden. We plan on arriving late (~midnight) on the 22nd and leaving early afternoon on the 25th. Problem is just now we looked at the online booking and its all full and there are no casual arrival places since its peak period.

Anybody have room to share for 2 small tents on their site? Anybody know of any good alternative camping locations? Perhaps there is a secret hideaway the masses don't know about if we trundle through the bush a little way.
Fish Boy
14/01/2010
3:26:12 PM
The stone hut in the chalet car park. You'd want to pack up before 7.30am or so, but the nice guy who emptys the bin doesn't care.

The croquet lawn, but busy body tourists will wander around, so pack up by 7.30am to be safe.

About half way up the dirt section of the Horn rd, look left on a right hander and there is a beautiful little spot overlooking the walk in for the Back Wall. Park here, be gone by 7.30am.

I could go on, but they all rely on you packing up in the morn, which may/may not be a problem. Otherwise, just cruise Catani for a spot and steal a shower and poo while you're there.

Good times.

Oh, Big Grassy is good, and you wont need to pack up.

climbau
14/01/2010
4:54:17 PM
Buckland river has heaps of free campsites along it's banks and only a short drive each morning and
evening. As it is outside the park, make sure you get through the gates early enough to avoid fees. Close
to Porepunkah for a feed at the pub.
Bright has a hostel and caravan park.

sliamese
14/01/2010
5:11:05 PM
>Oh, Big Grassy is good, and you wont need to pack up.

haha thats the ticket right there!! just sleep at the base the first night, then on the route!!!! :D

if u were psyched....

Hendo
15/01/2010
12:12:05 PM
Ta, sounds like there are a few options to rest my weary body. Spose we could also wander around and see if there is a half empty campsite with someone willing to share the camping fees for a few days.
mikllaw
15/01/2010
12:39:15 PM
we have also stayed in one of the campsites in porepunkah, if you drive up early you save on park entry fees too.

Paulie
15/01/2010
12:44:52 PM
There's an excellent protected bivvy spot behind the group camping area (Catani) in amongst the boulders. Another good spot is on the 'long' way into Mt McLeod there's a fire track (Nine Mile Track), running off to the north 1/2 way up the mtn which is hidden from prying eyes and has some nice open areas to camp in...no water tho. Within the touristy areas the rangers are pretty much on the ball everywhere and if a car is found parked by the roadside they'll be out looking around for you! http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.690576,146.82814&spn=0.011563,0.019248&z=16

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16/01/2010
8:00:04 PM
>Another good spot is on the 'long' way into Mt McLeod there's a fire track (Nine Mile Track), running off to the north

... actually it runs off to the west, ... but the bugger of it is that most times I have accessed that track I have found the ranger gate across the start of it to be closed and locked.

Paulie
17/01/2010
12:43:14 PM
According to that map I posted it's dead north mate :-P Yeah that gate was installed a few years ago, don't get up there often enough now to see when it's open.

wallwombat
17/01/2010
2:51:59 PM
Last time we were there we stayed one night at some free campsites up the Buckland Valley Road (I think that's what it's called). They were nice, except that they became quite crowded (it was Easter). We then bumped into some friends who had a site at Catani, so we stayed there.
gfdonc
17/01/2010
9:11:58 PM
Fook it. Despite an utter lack of preparation, I somehow always manage to squeeze onto a site somewhere. This, year, looks like we're heading to the Grampians.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
18/01/2010
2:56:47 PM
On 17/01/2010 Paulie wrote:
>According to that map I posted it's dead north mate :-P Yeah that gate
>was installed a few years ago, don't get up there often enough now to see
>when it's open.

You are right!
After checking your link I appreciate anew how much that road weaves around, because here I was thinking that I head south to go up the mountain and that track is on the right...
~> On the m/bike I am more mindful of the loose gravel/leaf litter that is often parked illegally on that corner instead ;-)

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints