Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: Super Chute Rope Bag. Volume 25 litres. Single adjustable shoulder strap. Rope tarp dimensions: 146 X 126cm. 400d nylon. Assorted colours. (Holds up to 80M Rope) Only 2 left!  $39.00
44% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Wanted Big Expedition Tent
brendan
2/03/2013
1:14:11 PM
Im off to Alaska in May and would like to buy/hire a big 3/4 man expedition tent.

I have a 2 Man tent but as we ll be living on the glacier for a month i want something bigger

Anybody have something kicking around that they dont want anymore?

Robb
2/03/2013
3:24:41 PM
hey brendan. where are you heading in alaska? I'm prob heading over there in june. maybe pick a tent up at REI in anchorage?

davidn
2/03/2013
3:43:17 PM
Do you just like privation or something brendo?! A month sitting on a glacier must give you serious piles ;)
brendan
2/03/2013
4:36:38 PM
Hi Rob, We're flying into the Ruth Gorge, lots of nice looking climbing to be had there. Were are you headed too?

Robb
2/03/2013
4:51:39 PM
thought you might be heading to the ruth. :-)
good time for ham and eggs.

we are heading to little switzerland. let me know if you find a tent. i might use it after you.
chickenthief
4/03/2013
12:34:12 AM
How about a Hilleberg Nammatj 3 ?
It cost me nearly $800 to land on my doorstep and been used only once.
I'll take a $300 hit and you can have it for $500 + delivery.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Tent-Reviews/Hilleberg-Nammatj-3

wallwombat
4/03/2013
11:11:02 AM
I reckon these look good for the price and weight

http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/prod79.htm

I have a Luxe pyramid style tent and that is very sturdy
brendan
4/03/2013
3:27:03 PM
Is this the GT version?
Mike Bee
4/03/2013
6:40:56 PM
On 4/03/2013 wallwombat wrote:
>I reckon these look good for the price and weight
>
>http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/prod79.htm
>
>I have a Luxe pyramid style tent and that is very sturdy

Having sold the luxe at a store I work at, I honestly don't think it would be a good tent to take to Alaska. It's not strong enough or warm enough.

The Hillebergs though, are awesome. I have a Kaitum 2 GT and reckon it's awesome. Get a 3 Person version and enjoy the space I reckon. That said, the 2 person is very roomy.

wallwombat
4/03/2013
8:47:02 PM
I'd reccommend getting a BD Magamid and digging it in . Cheapish and lots of room.
Damo666
4/03/2013
10:00:42 PM
On 4/03/2013 wallwombat wrote:
>I'd reccommend getting a BD Magamid and digging it in...

Hmm. For a kitchen tent and camp pub ;-)

The Nammatj, Kaitum, Kerons etc from Hilleberg are tunnel tents and, though great tents, are not necessarily the best choice for AK. They're the best tents around in strong wind, pitched right, but not designed for heavy snow load on top, like you can get in AK. They're not terrible, they're just not the best choice, unlike a standard exped geodesic like a Trango, VE25 or some of the dome Hillebergs.

You could get a cheapo car camping tent in Anchorage and hope it doesn't dump too much? Or live in individual mountain tents and commune in the Megamid palace. Kind of also depends if you're taking a mountain tent up the route, or doing it from camp.

PDRM
5/03/2013
10:22:32 AM
On 4/03/2013 Damo666 wrote:

>You could get a cheapo car camping tent in Anchorage and hope it doesn't
>dump too much? Or live in individual mountain tents and commune in the
>Megamid palace. Kind of also depends if you're taking a mountain tent up
>the route, or doing it from camp.

And how many blocks you want to saw or how many czechs you want to chase out of existing sites

P
brendan
5/03/2013
8:11:57 PM
I was hoping to pick up something like a Trango 3.1, were taking a BD firstlight for routes just need something to wait out the bad weather in.
brendan
5/03/2013
8:13:49 PM
Anyone tried the BD squall tent?http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/squall-tent/
Damo666
5/03/2013
8:26:02 PM
Squall's been reviewed well but not tried it.

T3.1 is not really a big waiting-around-for-days with mates kind of tent. It's barely big enough for two big guys with exped bags plus gear. Three guys in big bags is bloody tight. Are you and your mates small and thin? Might be OK.

I've used several Trango 4s and they're noticeably bigger, but also more $$$ of course. (also not as good in superstrong winds as a T3 or T2)
brendan
5/03/2013
8:42:02 PM
There is only two of us, both big guys (lots of fun in the firstlight : ) looking at 3 man tents for the extra space. I'll have to do abit more research, cheers for the info damo666
miketg
27/03/2013
5:21:19 PM
Hey Brendan, I've had great experiences with bd stormtrack (little bro of squall). Bomber in savage winds, plenty of room and cheeky back vestibule for escaping winds that night you are to wrecked to build a windbreak. Probs not as resilient under heavy night of snow.. MHW Trangos 3 are that bit chunkier for big expeditions if you can absorb the extra weight, especially if you're only hauling to bc. Have a great time man!
brendan
28/03/2013
3:50:17 PM
Im thinking more along the lines of a Marmot thor or North Face VE25 at this stage,

still hoping to get something second hand
Damo666
29/03/2013
5:53:15 AM
On 28/03/2013 brendan wrote:
>
>still hoping to get something second hand

Brendan, have you tried asking on Cascadeclimbers.com? You might be able to pick something up on the way through and save some weight.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/10/1/The_Yard_Sale
Mati
1/04/2013
7:16:06 PM
Hey mate, I've got a MacPac Hemisphere if your interested. Its a bit heavy but worked well for us in AK.

- Matt

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints