Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Set of 11 "Wallnuts" (1 to 11) N/B NEW Anodized colours!!! New "lighter" version. Steve's favourite wired Nuts.  $169.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
Author
SOLD - Day passes for Falls Creek
dmnz
21/08/2012
4:27:57 PM
3 vouchers(day passes) for Falls Creek ski resort in Victoria (no lessons)
valid til September 30 2012.

Not looking like I will be able to make it down after all so looking to get something back for them.

RRP $106/day. Will take $70 each incl postage or $200 for the lot (3 days)
simey
21/08/2012
10:24:06 PM
I'm assuming these are day lift passes?
citationx
22/08/2012
7:01:56 AM
What other type of passes do Falls Creek issue? (for $106 a day)
simey
22/08/2012
9:46:59 AM
Well when it comes to resort skiing, it could have been a charge for breathing the air. I haven't skied any resorts this year so I don't know exact costs for anything. Could have been resort entry combined with a pass for using the groomed XC ski trails for all I knew. I was assuming it wasn't but that's why I wanted clarification. And did lift passes ever come with ski instruction?

rodw
22/08/2012
9:51:01 AM
On 22/08/2012 simey wrote:
> And did lift passes ever come with ski
>instruction?

Yeah its an option most resorts offer

IdratherbeclimbingM9
Online Now
22/08/2012
9:59:42 AM
On 22/08/2012 simey wrote:
>Well when it comes to resort skiing, it could have been a charge for breathing
>the air. (snip)

You are not wrong!
~> One of my pet 'hates' is the road tolls charged just to drive (tour) past them!
citationx
22/08/2012
10:17:55 AM
On 22/08/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 22/08/2012 simey wrote:
>>Well when it comes to resort skiing, it could have been a charge for
>breathing
>>the air. (snip)
>
>You are not wrong!
>~> One of my pet 'hates' is the road tolls charged just to drive (tour)
>past them!

Are you referring to Park Victoria charges for "using" the national parks?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
Online Now
22/08/2012
10:27:37 AM
On 22/08/2012 citationx wrote:
>Are you referring to Park Victoria charges for "using" the national parks?

No.
When I plan my motorcycle touring in Vic and NSW high country areas, I always try to pick direction/time/roads that tend to avoid the park entry fees whenever I am not actually staying in the park or using it's facilities.
A classic example; ... going from Khancoban to Jindabyne is free, but going the other way incurs a park entry fee just to drive/ride past Thredbo; ~> and that fee is the best part of a tank of fuel on my bike; ... pretty stiff when one is simply out for a long days ride and that is just a segment of it!

rodw
22/08/2012
11:05:10 AM
Yeah thats nat parks..I read somewhere for NSW that the money skimmed off winter visitors in NSW pays for all the other parks...its not just the park entry they get funds for...everything like lift tickets, accommodation etc have NSWPS tariffs which are all very hefty.
scooby
22/08/2012
11:17:02 AM
I'll take all three if they can get to Albury by Friday?

I'm at work so email will be the best contact aarondotscobie@bigponddotcom
kieranl
22/08/2012
11:23:02 AM
On 22/08/2012 rodw wrote:
>Yeah thats nat parks..I read somewhere for NSW that the money skimmed off
>winter visitors in NSW pays for all the other parks...its not just the
>park entry they get funds for...everything like lift tickets, accommodation
>etc have NSWPS tariffs which are all very hefty.

And your preferred method of funding National Parks is...

It's about the only way to get back some of the subsidy paid to the rich and middle-class for their private school educations.

rodw
22/08/2012
12:03:55 PM
I was just stating a fact as the reason for the expense and whats its used for..I wasn't given an opinion either way if its right or wrong...but linking it to private education funding is a bit strange...lol.
gfdonc
22/08/2012
12:10:15 PM
I was at Falls Creek last week. It seriously dumped, then the sun came out. We were happy.

What I was less happy about were the non-skiing charges. $39.50 per car per day just to park. $33 return per person for a 5-minute ride up the hill to your lodge and back. I'm a keen skier, but the cost and hassle of the Victorian resorts is becoming tiresome.

Compared to say NZ. OK, $450 return to get there seems a lot. But: no car parking charge, no shuttle charges, significantly lower lift prices ..

kieranl
22/08/2012
12:24:32 PM
On 22/08/2012 rodw wrote:
>...but linking
>it to private education funding is a bit strange...lol.
All things are connected, grasshopper
dmnz
22/08/2012
3:38:12 PM
Thanks for the interest but they are now gone

citationx
22/08/2012
3:40:23 PM
On 22/08/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 22/08/2012 citationx wrote:
>>Are you referring to Park Victoria charges for "using" the national parks?
>
>No.
>When I plan my motorcycle touring in Vic and NSW high country areas, I
>always try to pick direction/time/roads that tend to avoid the park entry
>fees whenever I am not actually staying in the park or using it's facilities.
>A classic example; ... going from Khancoban to Jindabyne is free, but
>going the other way incurs a park entry fee just to drive/ride past Thredbo;
>~> and that fee is the best part of a tank of fuel on my bike; ... pretty
>stiff when one is simply out for a long days ride and that is just a segment
>of it!

official response:
Hi,

There is a pay station at the Parks office in Khancoban and signage which indicates that park use fees are required forKosciuszko National Park. However if you are transiting through the park (non stop) you do not need to pay park use fee, you just need to stop when travelling from Jindabyne at the entrance station on the Alpine Way and get a transit pass.
climberman
22/08/2012
3:56:58 PM
Even if you don't get an entry pass, the NPWS 'fine' is simply a request to pay (by a certain date).

citationx is correct in that there is no use fee for simply driving through the Alpine Way (or the Snowy Mts Highway). You can either fang through the thingo or stop and get a transit pass. The fee is for park use not road use. The Alpine Way was taken out of the Park following the Walker report into the Thredbo landslide.

Pulling over might put you in the park though.
GusR
22/08/2012
4:48:34 PM
On 22/08/2012 gfdonc wrote:
>What I was less happy about were the non-skiing charges. $39.50 per car
>per day just to park. $33 return per person for a 5-minute ride up the
>hill to your lodge and back. I'm a keen skier, but the cost and hassle
>of the Victorian resorts is becoming tiresome.

Couldn't agree more gfdonc. But this is not a new thing - it has been tiresome for some time now.

And if you think that's bad - try the Mount Buller shuttle prices. I was at the gate the other day (heading to Stirling) and my mate and I chortled when we saw the 'oversnow taxi rates' on the board at the Mirimbah gate. $40 per person return, $28 per child. That is a 10 minute ride in a troopy from the Horse Hill carpark (or similar) to your accom - even if the road is bone dry. If you have a family with 3 kids (i.e. the ones that most need this service) its likely to cost ~150. what a rip.

In my opinion - skiing at the victorian resorts is only good value if you go up a lot. ie. if you have membership at a lodge, you get an early bird season pass and you get a season mountain entry pass. The downside is, you run the risk of having a bad season and not getting the most out of it. Based on this years season, I wish I had have bought a hero pass last year for ~600 as I would have saved money on lift tickets. It's just so hard to pick the snow conditions.

rodw
22/08/2012
4:53:20 PM
Just save the money and go to to japan in January/Feb...better snow..cheaper in the long run..bit hard to do weekends though.

gfdonc
22/08/2012
9:19:34 PM
On 22/08/2012 GusR wrote:
>Couldn't agree more gfdonc. But this is not a new thing - it has been
>tiresome for some time now.

Yeah OK but I've only skied Falls twice in the last, oh, 20 years?
Hotham - similar parking prices but no oversnow charges.
Buller - last time I stayed there overnight (in winter anyway) I think the oversnow cost $15. $40? Ouch ouch.

 Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
There are 28 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints