Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: Super Chute Rope Bag. Volume 25 litres. Single adjustable shoulder strap. Rope tarp dimensions: 146 X 126cm. 400d nylon. Assorted colours. (Holds up to 80M Rope)  $49.00
30% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
OT - 127 (duplicate thread).
martym
9/02/2011
8:13:58 AM
On 9/02/2011 Maidy wrote:
>As for "127 hours"- it was surprisingly good IMO. I went into it expecting
>to come out disappointed and bored since we are talking an entire movie
>with one guy talking to himself. I thought it would be another "Castaway"...
>YAWN. This is a rare case where the movie is far better than the book.
> I've always been uncomfortable with how Ralston capitalized on his "accident",
>but the film stands as a pretty nice piece of work. It is stylistically
>really cool, the acting is spot on, and the screenplay keeps you totally
>gripped the whole time.

Figured it deserves it's own topic...
I just walked out of this film, and my girlfriend (who's also a climber) cried and was totally overwhelmed. She didn't know anything about Aron Ralston prior; so I guess it'll find it's place with the general public.

I on the other hand have seen Ralston interviewed a few times, read a few articles and knew the story from start to finish... so i was really curious how they were going to fill a whole movie with "Guy gets stuck in canyon, guy breaks arm, guy gets out of canyon"....

... in my opinion, they didn't. It was a one act film (albeit, quite a long act). And WAY too much music telling you what to feel. Since everyone knows how it's going to end, why make it so dramatic?
martym
9/02/2011
8:21:44 AM
Apparently the end credits reveal "bike-riding in the canyonlands national park is strictly forbidden" - I wonder if they fined him?

rodw
Online Now
9/02/2011
8:29:23 AM
I read the book and TBH thought it was an enjoyable read. Im also not as quick to crucify this guys actions...yeah it turned to shit and from a safety perspective it wasn't exactly kosher....but it was very bad luck and the way he was forced to survive makes for a good story.

He placed his bets and took his chances....and rolled snake eyes...as Tony Abott would say "Shit happens"...not much different to soloing in climbing I dont think...it was a personal choice of his. Why is everybody so quick to crucify him?

And as to cashing in...he lost an arm and had a story to tell. No different to "adventurers" who find some strange way to walk to the south pole or cross australia riding a mono-cycle and make a docu about it.....people are interested in the story...he hardly went out to loose the arm to save a earn bucks.

ajfclark
9/02/2011
8:37:13 AM
Previous thread: http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=89955&Replies=8
martym
9/02/2011
8:38:24 AM
On 9/02/2011 rodw wrote:
Why is everybody
>so quick to crucify him?

Well, I hope it doesn't read like I'm crucifying him! I actually think it's a very interesting story - just didn't translate into a wholly satisfying film is all.

I just felt that since many people will know what the film is about, some may be disappointed that it just retells it; with some loud music and a few dream sequences...
martym
9/02/2011
8:39:25 AM
On 9/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>Previous thread: http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=89955&Replies=8

There's the crucifiction!

rodw
Online Now
9/02/2011
9:15:51 AM
Nah Martym wasnt actually refering to your post, more some comments made in previous thread.
PDRM
9/02/2011
10:40:31 AM
The review I read described the actor that played Aaron as a 'method actor'. Just wondering how that plays out for a role than involves truncating an appendage with a swiss army knife?

PDRM
Wendy
9/02/2011
5:31:39 PM
I would have used the words "nong" and "dickhead" to describe him far earlier in the book than the famous accident. He did some dumb shit. He got other people caught up in it. He failed abysmally to learn from earlier incidents. He seemed well bloody fond of himself and with no realistic assessment of his experience and abilities. The canyoning trip was probably one of the most reasonable trips he did, it just happened to be the one that the forementioned God of the Foolish was fed up with him on. That might be crucifying him, but it's for a whole series of reasons not just the lost arm and i don't care if he's making money out of it or not in that assessment. I hope he's finally learnt the value of good judgement by now. Or at least that he never comes climbing around here.
Paul
9/02/2011
5:50:01 PM
On 9/02/2011 Wendy wrote:
>I would have used the words "nong" and "dickhead" to describe him far earlier
>in the book than the famous accident. He did some dumb shit. He got other
>people caught up in it. He failed abysmally to learn from earlier incidents.
>He seemed well bloody fond of himself and with no realistic assessment
>of his experience and abilities. The canyoning trip was probably one of
>the most reasonable trips he did, it just happened to be the one that the
>forementioned God of the Foolish was fed up with him on. That might be
>crucifying him, but it's for a whole series of reasons not just the lost
>arm and i don't care if he's making money out of it or not in that assessment.
> I hope he's finally learnt the value of good judgement by now. Or at
>least that he never comes climbing around here.

I agree.

martym
9/02/2011
10:07:39 PM
On 9/02/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>Previous thread: http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&Messag
>ID=89955&Replies=8

I'd hardly call it a duplicate thread - may deal with the same film, but the previous thread was a slinging match bagging the shit out of Ralston, where as I was talking about the film.
Hopefully this won't just descend into what the other one was...

roca
21/02/2011
12:47:06 PM
"PDRM
9/02/2011
10:40:31 AM

The review I read described the actor that played Aaron as a 'method actor'. Just wondering how that plays out for a role than involves truncating an appendage with a swiss army knife?

....lol!

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints