Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Scarpa: Scarpa "Mystic GTX" Approach Shoe. Premium model. Gortex lined. Vibram Sole. Climbing toe... Size 43 Eur. (10 USm)  $149.00
50% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Travel Insurance
DSPIES
11/12/2008
4:10:04 PM
Travel insurance

OK I do apologise if it has been asked before but who have people used for travel insurance when climbing. Iíve been to 2 travel agents and both said their companies donít cover climbing (when you use ropes. Only one of the travel agents saw the irony with that). Heading off to Thailand soon and figured second time round I should at least be insured. Cheers folks

ajfclark
Online Now
11/12/2008
4:14:06 PM
The ACA has something about climbing insurance through insure4less here: http://www.climb.org.au/?page=54

JimboV10
11/12/2008
4:14:22 PM
Travel agent here...

Tis true that they dont cover rockclimbing involving ropes... Best to try an alpine club (not sure who tho)

Bouldering and Soloing are covered however as TECHNICALLY they are scrambling and bushwalking...

NZclimber
11/12/2008
4:19:31 PM
I went to Tonsai earlier this year for a few months, I got insurance that covered abseiling ;-) for the trip from my agent through travelsure I think.

billk
11/12/2008
5:08:55 PM
On 11/12/2008 NZclimber wrote:
>I went to Tonsai earlier this year for a few months, I got insurance that
>covered abseiling ;-) for the trip from my agent through travelsure I think.

The last time there was a thread on climbing and travel insurance, several posters pointed out that insurance companies are very good at determining the exact circumstances of any accident resulting in a claim. They are in the business of avoiding paying out if they don't have to.

Better to find an insurer that explicitly includes roped climbing or join the Austrian Alpine Club or another club that provides medical and evacuation coverage for trips.

billk
11/12/2008
5:10:47 PM
On 11/12/2008 NZclimber wrote:
>I went to Tonsai earlier this year for a few months, I got insurance that
>covered abseiling ;-) for the trip from my agent through travelsure I think.

Has anyone else ever wondered why insurance companies choose to cover the most dangerous element of rock climbing, while excluding the broader activity?
Tris
11/12/2008
6:09:39 PM
I am going through insure4less for my Tonsia trip in Jan. Their rates are good.
DSPIES
11/12/2008
6:11:25 PM
yeah, i imagine i will be doing the same. it seems there aren't too many choices.
thanks for the help folks

kezza
11/12/2008
6:19:31 PM
Whilst in Tonsai a few years ago, i dislocated my kneecap which meant i got a ride in the ambo to Krabi hospital. x-rays, pair of crutches, backslab and pain meds later I paid $75.
I recommend having a translation dictionay handy.

I also recommend not getting injured, my injuries weren't huge but still $75 is a good deal!

An ambo ride here for the same distance would be in excess of $5000 if not covered, so i think it's a great deal.

JimboV10
11/12/2008
6:46:01 PM
** non travel agent opinion **

Probably becuase their are less variables (styles?) to abseiling.. when run by instructors or in groupos i guess a lot less COULD go wrong...

id imagine the PDS' from the companies would be a novel as they would have to specify lead, top rope, single or multi pitch, trad or sport or mixed, ice or aid, big wall, leader or second, what is considered "a rope", what constitutes a pitch or route, party of more than two, helmet no helmet, type of harness, age of harness etc etc etc
audtracol
11/12/2008
9:22:42 PM
I travelled to Thailand and China last year and insured with insure 4 less, they appeared okay and were underwritten by a larger known company (can't remember name). I didn't however submit any claims so i can't comment on that. I only really insured with them for the climbing cover although the cover also provided a limited amount of normal travel cover. I also paid for extra cover vie a normal travel insurance mob for proper cover for any other incidents. found insure 4 less more than helpful in negotiating a price and level of cover.

Hope that helps
gfdonc
11/12/2008
11:34:59 PM
I insured with insure4less back in September as well. No claims either, but they are flexible on policy conditions if you outline your requirements.
Wendy
12/12/2008
7:07:19 AM
Austrian Alpine Club UK branch accepts members from all english speaking countries. 41 pounds for the year (jan-jan) full mountain rescue, medical, repatriation etc, the whole year covered, including any number of trips up to 6 weeks long (each) outside of home country. for trips over 6 weeks you can extend cover through the insurer (a kind of bizzarre process especially when you don't speak german, but it worked) for 1 euro 50 p/d. They cover any sort of mountain rescue, I had a friend claim a snowboarding accident on it.

HIH (think they are danish) also offer a travel medical policy that covers climbing - it's more expensive than AAC but covers general medical as well, but not general travel stuff like lost baggage.
jgoding
12/12/2008
8:19:07 AM
Hi,

while in Europe recently we had IHI insurance and their policy seemed to cover pretty much everything. I understand Steve Monks reccomends this (full) cover for his clients when being guided by him to cover air lifts and all other rescue and post trauma medical insurance. Please note I don't think it covers much (if any) in terms of lost or stolen goods - it's only medical insurance.

You can find out more here: http://www.ihi.com/

Here is a small snippet from one of their brochures:
You can choose a travel insurance which
covers one single trip Ė IHI Single Trip Ė or you
can choose to be covered all year round on
all your trips abroad, for up to 1 month per
trip, with IHI Annual Travel.
With an IHI Travel plan in your pocket, you
are guaranteed the following advantages:
IHIís 24-hour emergency service:
IHI Assist.
Direct payment of all hospital bills.
Access to IHIís medical consultants.
Free choice of doctors and hospitals.
Full cover with no deductible.

Professional and efficient reimbursement
service.
Worldwide cover during all types of travel:
leisure, study and business.
No restrictions on hazardous sports or
occupations (except motorsports).
Free cover of children under the age of
two.
Even accidents resulting from terrorist
acts are covered.
IHI Annual Travel gives you access to
myPage on www.ihi.com where you will
find travel information about outbreak of
diseases, security, vaccinations and many
other things.
martin saint
12/12/2008
9:19:14 AM
On 12/12/2008 Wendy wrote:
>Austrian Alpine Club UK branch accepts members from all english speaking
>countries. 41 pounds for the year (jan-jan) full mountain rescue, medical,
>repatriation etc, the whole year covered, including any number of trips
>up to 6 weeks long (each) outside of home country. for trips over 6 weeks
>you can extend cover through the insurer (a kind of bizzarre process especially
>when you don't speak german, but it worked) for 1 euro 50 p/d. They cover
>any sort of mountain rescue, I had a friend claim a snowboarding accident
>on it.
>
>HIH (think they are danish) also offer a travel medical policy that covers
>climbing - it's more expensive than AAC but covers general medical as well,
>but not general travel stuff like lost baggage.

I can vouch for the Austrian Alpine Club insurance. I went ski mountaineering earlier this year and ended up being evacuated by helicopter from an alpine hut to a Swiss hospital with reasonably serious altitude problems (despite a week of climbing high and sleeping low.) I filled in the form, sent it to the insurer, they paid the 7000 euro bill no questions asked. I was thoroughly impressed.
bne
22/12/2010
12:55:36 PM
I bought cover with insure4less for trip to tonsai.

clause 4 states:
You must wear suitable protective equipment including a climbing helmet at all times when climbing or at the rock face.
davepalethorpe
22/12/2010
5:40:53 PM
On 22/12/2010 bne wrote:
>I bought cover with insure4less for trip to tonsai.
>
>clause 4 states:
>You must wear suitable protective equipment including a climbing helmet
>at all times when climbing or at the rock face.
>

Did you pay for the policy to include rock climbing cover? Its not covered in the standard policy. How much did it cost out of interest?? When I recently went to china I got basic travel insurance with insure4less, and have a yearly membership with the austrian alpine club.
dave
23/12/2010
8:31:30 AM
On 22/12/2010 davepalethorpe wrote:
How much did it cost out of interest??

Its an extra 25% on top of the premium (well was for the one I bought last week anyway).

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints