Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: DMM ALLOY "Offset" have arrived!!! #Sizes 7 - 11. (5 piece) Range: 12 to 23.5mm. (Great Compliment to DMM Wallnuts. (Refer Peenuts for Profile) Awesome Pro!  $93.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Kid friendly crags in the Grampians

Garrath
3/03/2007
8:17:55 AM
Outside of Summerday Valley, any suggestions on crags to visit that meet the following criteria:

Moderate climbs and safe for young kids to run around?

JamesMc
3/03/2007
11:30:18 AM
... and easy to walk in to.

There's not a lot outside Summerday Valley. Try the Mountain Lion in the Victoria Range. Perhaps Lower Goon Wall in the Wonderland Range if it's not too blackened.

James Mc
WM
3/03/2007
3:14:39 PM
Curiosity Crag wouldn't be too bad - although if 'moderate' is <18 probably not. Haven't been there but maybe Roadside Crag down Geerak Track might be ok too?

And the Watchtower near Halls Gap

andyR
3/03/2007
7:04:35 PM
Define "safe" ... there's plenty of crags out there ill happily take my kids to but theres no way I'd call them safe ..
chalkischeap
3/03/2007
7:24:58 PM
My kids, aged 5 and 7 love going to Taipan. Right hand end is pretty good for keeping an eye on them. Too light to belay me for a few more years though.

richard
5/03/2007
12:55:44 PM
>Moderate climbs and safe for young kids to run around?

Anyone know how "bad moon rising wall' compares with this criteria? (or the other walls along there..?)

drdeviousii
5/03/2007
1:00:26 PM
Bad Moon Rising is kind of ok - the trees under the RH end are flatter & further back from the edge. the rest is bare rock & slopes off toward a 50m cliff (the Underworld). But its approx 70m away & is flatter closer to BMRW.

nmonteith
5/03/2007
1:03:23 PM
Amnesty Wall is also very good. Easy flat access and no big dangers. Personally im always a little afaid
of having young kids at the crag because of the rock fall danger. Imagine the guilt if you accidently
ripped a loose block off and hit someone elses kids.
WM
5/03/2007
2:09:04 PM
Richard, I wouldn't recommend Bad Moon Rising or anything else left of Sandinista Wall. There are a few sections which rather suck with a pack on - and with a baby harness or for a toddler would be a real hassle and/or dangerous:
* Just past Tupameros you have a boulder hopping section
* where the track scrambles up below Cut Lunch walls there's some nasty fall potential
* the step-across between Tribute Walls and Bad Moon has nasty potential

At the base of Bad Moon the platform is not *that* wide ... having seen a toddler running around there I was a little concerned: the way it slopes off to the top of the cliff below appears dangerously misleading to young kids

Not to mention how long it would take young-uns to get up there.

Sandinista/Amnesty area is definitely a better bet

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints