Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: 10mm DYNEX: 60cm (24") Runner. (Open round sling) Great for making "extender" quick-draws. IMO   $10.00
28% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Tongue Point Issues
Access Ant
24/10/2004
12:16:21 PM
Hi all,
Ant Callaghan (Access & Environment Officer VCC) here. I am trying to contact climbers that have visited and climbed at Tongue Point at Wilsons Prom. I am attempting to ascertain how many climbers may visit the area in a season and would like to hear from them. If you have been there and are happy to tell me about it can you let me know how many of you visited, how often and whether there were other users there at the time (including non-climbers such as bushwalkers, fishermen etc.). As this is a banned area I will keep all names confidential and if you feel uncomfortable contacting me in this forum you can e-mail me direct at cliffcare@vicclimb.org.au or call me on 0425 752 289.
Cheers, Ant
PS If you want access to this area to change in the future I need support from the climbing community.

LittleJames
24/10/2004
12:46:28 PM
Hahaha, as soon as I heard "tongue point" I immediately thought about Steve Gardiner redpointing something hard. :)

Sorry, apart from that smart-arse comment, I can't help you. I have been walking down around Wilson's in the past, but never climbing.

Edit: Having heard good things, I'd be very interested in going, thought.
BA
25/10/2004
12:37:08 PM
C'mon youse lot!!! Contact Ant, even if it is only to let him know that you would like to climb there.

In V1.10 of the Eastern Vic guide (out soon!) Russ Crow has finally divulged the details of about another 20-25 routes on walls nearby. This is a major, important and fantastic area that PV want to take from climbers. Glenn Tempest, if you read this could you let all the non Chockstoners/VCC climbers know to contact Ant. Hopefully we will gain access to this great area if enough people respond, even if it is only to let Ant know that you want to climb there.

Wonderdog
25/10/2004
4:09:11 PM
Have not climbed there, because it is banned... would go there if I could.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
25/10/2004
4:17:11 PM
Have not climbed there. Would love to if I could.

shiltz
25/10/2004
4:32:48 PM
I've heard Russ describe the climbing there and it sounds really good. I'd be down there if the access issues were sorted out.
craig
25/10/2004
4:45:41 PM
I would go if it was legal.
Robin
25/10/2004
8:46:48 PM
I haven't been there but probably would if it was open. I do think it's important that we strongly negotiate access to Tongue Point. Russell Crow describes it as Victorias' premier sea cliff, in a state that is somewhat lacking in sea cliffs. As such it offers a different experience to Araps, Gramps, Buffalo etc.
James
25/10/2004
9:57:19 PM
I'd go there if I could (would love to in fact). What can we do??
rob
27/10/2004
1:20:52 PM
Hi Ant,
I have only bouldered around whisky bay and squeaky beech which was fantastic, but have always wanted to give the tongue a go! but as it was a banned I have never ventured into the area accept in my sea kayak but there was no other activity at the time.
Rob
Access Ant
27/10/2004
1:43:50 PM
Thanks to all that have replied. Don't forget that if you have climbed there you can contact me via the cliffcare email address or my phone number (all above) and it will be confidential. By the way Rob you have highlighted an interesting point. I'm not sure but you might be alright in a sea kayak as your not "off track" so to speak. I not suggesting that we all have to get boats there but it points out inconsistencies in the Proms management plan.

Rich
28/10/2004
11:16:47 AM
i've climbed there twice around 7 years ago, does that count? we were in a group of 6 and a group of 4. good fun sea cliff climbing, some of the rock was a bit loose but others, quite sound granite.. might have cleaned up quite a bit by now though..
ahhh are they sirens i hear out front?

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints