Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: Black Diamond "PosiWire" Quick-Draw Sets. (6 Pack) Top: Straight gate Positron. (Anodised Ink Blue) Bottom: HotWire Wire gate. (Anodised Ink Blue) Dogbone: 12cm long and 14mm wide. N/B SIX quick-draws N/B $16.50 per quick-draw.  $99.00
27% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 61
Author
buying boulders

Ashfall tuff
23/06/2013
11:43:37 AM
Is it possible to buy boulders?

phillipivan
23/06/2013
11:48:22 AM
You want a boulder? I can get you a boulder, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

Ashfall tuff
23/06/2013
12:19:24 PM
I was thinking about private land where there's no access.


What about bed & breakfasts that offer bouldering?

phillipivan
23/06/2013
2:16:37 PM
Hell, I can get you a boulder by 3 o'clock this afternoon

miguel75
23/06/2013
4:31:15 PM
What about climbing areas that offered breakfast? I'd love to walk up to the Watchtower face and be greeted with a hot chocky and spicy breakfast burrito...

freepete
23/06/2013
4:49:33 PM
On 23/06/2013 miguel75 wrote:
>What about climbing areas that offered breakfast? I'd love to walk up to
>the Watchtower face and be greeted with a hot chocky and spicy breakfast
>burrito...

Sounds like a job for one of the many struggling hipster food vans here...

ashfall tuff
23/06/2013
7:10:03 PM
ok buying the boulders maybe a bit far fetched. tho i'd hang onto alist of b&b's that offered climbing-bouldering.

nmonteith
23/06/2013
7:17:18 PM
This reminds me of a funny story a Danish friend told me. According to him Denmark has no natural rock - none, zilich. If you are a rockclimber you either go to the gym or drive to nearby Sweden. Anyway - about 10 years ago they built a massive bridge between Denmark and Sweden (it was a ferry previously). In the process of building the bridge they did a lot of dregding and construction - and they un-earthed some large boulders from under water and dumped them on the Danish coastline. Apparently they didn't last more than a few hours before local climbers jumped the construction fence, scrubbed the barnacles off and had them chalked and climbed. The first rock-climbs in Denmark! I have no idea how true this story was but he showed me some funny photos at the time...

Ashfall tuff
23/06/2013
8:26:37 PM
thats pretty keen - even if the coutry has no rock you can still be a climber.

bw
23/06/2013
9:00:01 PM
My danish climbing buddy confirms no rock in denmark except one little island somewhere with one or two little rocks...
The local tip/recycling centre sells small sandstone boulders, cheap as.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
23/06/2013
9:20:33 PM
On 23/06/2013 ashfall tuff wrote:
>ok buying the boulders maybe a bit far fetched. tho i'd hang onto alist
>of b&b's that offered climbing-bouldering.

Maybe contact Beulah Rock exFest to see if they are going to reopen as a B&B...
;-)

Eduardo Slabofvic
24/06/2013
9:40:18 AM
I hear that Greece is a little strapped for cash. Maybe they might be willing to sell some boulders.

There's precedent for this. The 7th Earl of Elgin had a pretty good go at it.

I recommend putting Mr Gribble on the case.

Cool Hand Lock
24/06/2013
10:38:28 AM
rock weights about 1.6kg/litre. I think. So a 1mX1mX1m bolder weights 1600kg.

I can get you a boulder, how big is your ute?
martym
Online Now
24/06/2013
10:40:33 AM
On 23/06/2013 miguel75 wrote:
>What about climbing areas that offered breakfast? I'd love to walk up to
>the Watchtower face and be greeted with a hot chocky and spicy breakfast
>burrito...

I think you could make some reasonable coin with an esky and some coldies at the top of Tiger Wall at Easter.. (or at least trade for cams)
martym
Online Now
24/06/2013
10:42:50 AM
On 23/06/2013 nmonteith wrote:
>This reminds me of a funny story a Danish friend told me. According to
>him Denmark has no natural rock - none, zilich.

That's how you end up with stuff like this in Holland (where average land is below sea level)

One Day Hero
24/06/2013
11:33:54 AM
On 24/06/2013 Cool Hand Lock wrote:
>rock weights about 1.6kg/litre. I think.

Really? Is that what you think?

Snappy
24/06/2013
11:46:42 AM
On 24/06/2013 One Day Hero wrote:
>On 24/06/2013 Cool Hand Lock wrote:
>>rock weights about 1.6kg/litre. I think.
>
>Really? Is that what you think?

According to wikipedia; granite is 2.65-2.75g/cm^3.

Which would make it 2650kg per m^3.

Granite is among the more dense rock, so you would expect sandstone/trachyte boulders to be a little lighter. Although then you would have to bubble wrap them as they are more fragile... :)

Duang Daunk
24/06/2013
12:00:18 PM
On 24/06/2013 Snappy wrote:
>Granite is among the more dense rock, so you would expect sandstone/trachyte
>boulders to be a little lighter. Although then you would have to bubble
>wrap them as they are more fragile... :)

Really?
Why is it that so many climbers think they are geologists?
Really, I'd prefer a bland wiki reference than an uninformed opinion.

I am no geo but I know that trachyte is of volcanic origin and like granite, dolerite, basalt and probably a lot of other rock types can be way up there in the density and non brittle stakes.
Sandstone by comparison is sedimentary and that is another story.

You can do the wiki thing if it has anything relevant to prove me wrong.


Snappy
24/06/2013
12:11:24 PM
On 24/06/2013 Duang Daunk wrote:
>On 24/06/2013 Snappy wrote:
>>Granite is among the more dense rock, so you would expect sandstone/trachyte
>>boulders to be a little lighter. Although then you would have to bubble
>>wrap them as they are more fragile... :)
>
>Really?
>Why is it that so many climbers think they are geologists?
>Really, I'd prefer a bland wiki reference than an uninformed opinion.
>
>I am no geo but I know that trachyte is of volcanic origin and like granite,
>dolerite, basalt and probably a lot of other rock types can be way up there
>in the density and non brittle stakes.
>Sandstone by comparison is sedimentary and that is another story.
>
>You can do the wiki thing if it has anything relevant to prove me wrong.
>
>
Unfortunately the wiki articles for other kinds of rock aren't as well layed out as the granite one. However I found this: http://geology.about.com/cs/rock_types/a/aarockspecgrav.htm
Granite: 2.6-2.7g/cm^3
Rhyolite: 2.4-2.6g/cm^3 (so a little lighter, but not as much as I would have thought).
Sandstone: 2.2-2.8g/cm^3

That doesn't give a complete picture, as the porosity of the different kinds of rock comes into play. My assumption (which you can feel free to disregard, or google, if you want) is that extrusive rock such as rhyolite would have a higher porosity than intrusive rock such as granite.

Snappy
24/06/2013
12:21:10 PM
Seeing as I am interested now:
http://lmrwww.epfl.ch/en/ensei/Rock_Mechanics/ENS_080312_EN_JZ_Notes_Chapter_4.pdf
Page 2.

Granite: Dry density: 2.53 2.62 Porosity:1.02 2.87%
Rhyolite: Dry density:2.40 2.60 Porosity:0.40 4.00%
Sandstone: Dry density: 1.91 2.58 Porosity:1.62 26.4%

Another way of looking at it that has nothing to do with geology: I have picked up small granite, rhyolite and sandstone blocks and found I could lift different sizes of each, ergo, different mass per volume

 Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 61
There are 61 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints