Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Edelrid: "Ultralight Helmet" (Red) Fits 54 - 60cm Great heavy duty all-rounder. SUPER SPECIAL for a short time only!  $79.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Mark Horrell's mountain writing
technogeekery
24/09/2012
9:01:51 AM
I just read an entertaining account of Mark Horrell's attempts to climb Gasherbrum (G2 & G1) He is an amateur mountaineer, and a self-confessed bumbly, and as such will never be a big name climber. But by the same token many of us might identify more with him, and relate more to his adventures and misadventures. He writes clearly and well, and his sense of humour and general common-sense approach appealed to me very much. The specific book I read (Thieves, Liars and Mountaineers: On the 8000 Metre Peak Circus in Pakistan's Karakoram Mountains, available as an ebook on Amazon for the princely sum of $0.99) I bought on spec and I found it thoroughly entertaining, even if he never did get higher than Camp 2 on either mountain. You can find a full list of his writing on http://www.markhorrell.com/diaries/ with links to the ebooks on Amazon - and I think at that sort of price they make very good value.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
24/09/2012
11:49:53 AM
On 24/09/2012 technogeekery wrote:
>I just read an entertaining account of Mark Horrell's attempts to climb
>Gasherbrum (G2 & G1) He is an amateur mountaineer, and a self-confessed
>bumbly, and as such will never be a big name climber. But by the same token
>many of us might identify more with him, and relate more to his adventures
>and misadventures. He writes clearly and well, and his sense of humour
>and general common-sense approach appealed to me very much. The specific
>book I read (Thieves, Liars and Mountaineers: On the 8000 Metre Peak Circus
>in Pakistan's Karakoram Mountains, available as an ebook on Amazon for
>the princely sum of $0.99) I bought on spec and I found it thoroughly entertaining,
>even if he never did get higher than Camp 2 on either mountain. You can
>find a full list of his writing on http://www.markhorrell.com/diaries/
>with links to the ebooks on Amazon - and I think at that sort of price
>they make very good value.

It sounds like something that I will follow up now that I am aware of it, so thanks for the post.
~> Maybe copy'n'paste what you typed as a review to here so it is easily found by others for future resource/reference once this topic drops off the front page?
technogeekery
24/09/2012
5:06:37 PM
M9 - I have posted most of my climbing reading there, including today a review of Freedom Climbers, the Boardman Tasker winner from 2011 about Polish mountaineers. But Horrell's "books" barely qualify as such, indeed he self-publishes them as on Amazon as "diary extracts" and they don't appear to have ISBNs.

There are 3 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints