Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond "STOPPER" Set. (Sizes 4 to 13) - 10 pieces. Comes with a "free" karabiner for racking.   $109.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
bolts suck
f_abe
12/03/2012
9:56:34 PM
Over the years, I've clipped a few bolts. I've never really given them any thought, except when they looked a bit dodgy, were poorly placed, or too spaced.
Then I actually bolted a route.
So to anyone who has ever placed a bolt, I humbly say thankyou.
This is not the time and place for an ethical debate on bolting (though it will no doubt degenarte into a slagfest involving bolts, grumpy old men, and the odd sighting of a dog or two), merely an acknowledgment of the effort some people go to.
But I gotta say, the sound and smell of a screaming two stroke makes me wanna go back for more...
mikllaw
12/03/2012
10:03:19 PM
when I was racing a 125 GP bike, everyone ran on some repsol gunk (2 stroke oil) that cost more than scotch, but a wiff of it would raise my heartrate to 200 bpm.

It goes off quickly so i'd use it in the Ryobi petrol drill and be swinging around in space absolutley peaking.
Kieranl
Online Now
12/03/2012
10:13:17 PM
Does the route look good?

tnd
13/03/2012
8:27:28 AM
On 12/03/2012 mikllaw wrote:
>when I was racing a 125 GP bike, everyone ran on some repsol gunk (2 stroke
>oil) that cost more than scotch, but a wiff of it would raise my heartrate
>to 200 bpm.
>
>It goes off quickly so i'd use it in the Ryobi petrol drill and be swinging
>around in space absolutley peaking.

The smell of Castrol R still does that for me Mike.
Samuel
13/03/2012
8:31:12 AM
I'm pretty sure they sell that stuff on the steets these days.
hero
13/03/2012
10:59:25 AM
On 12/03/2012 Kieranl wrote:
>Does the route look good?
>

God, Kieran, when was that a prerequisite for banging bolts in stuff?
widewetandslippery
13/03/2012
11:07:56 AM
I know oils aint oils so experts what is the best 2 stroke mix. Have a very dormant ryobi that could have a date improving the world. What mix do you lot use? Gone are the days of zoom everywhere. What petrol as well.
mikllaw
13/03/2012
12:05:00 PM
In racing engines, temperatures are high and you are desperate to avoid seizure, hence Motal and castor oil and formula R.
Petrol drills run pretty cool and you want to avoid fouling plugs (horrible trying the change them halfway up North head). I'd use pretty much anything, but no mix more than 2 weeks old. Clean plug before starting?
A fuel that isn't spiked with ethanol might make starting easier. 100 octane avgas is high lead etc, but probably not worth the trip out to bankstown airport
widewetandslippery
13/03/2012
1:01:26 PM
Tell me more about av gas and easy starting. May be out bankstown way soon.

If there is old fuel in the system would starting up, pouring out excess then put new fuel in be the best process?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13/03/2012
1:24:13 PM
On 13/03/2012 widewetandslippery wrote:
>Tell me more about av gas and easy starting. May be out bankstown way soon.
>
>If there is old fuel in the system would starting up, pouring out excess
>then put new fuel in be the best process?

Caveat up front; I don't drive two stroke drills!
Having said that, I do drive other two stroke items and have experience using avgas in motorcycles.

The old fuel loses it's octane rating/content (after about a fortnight I am told), but I would guess, probably not all of the premixed oil content ~> hence the fouling of plugs along with harder starting of the motor.

Re old fuel, it is probably best to drain it (before starting the device), into the larger container of new fuel and mixing it again with the new stuff. Yeah, this would have a slight dilution effect...
Start the device, and shut it down; ... ~> this should clear the fuel lines of old stuff.
Refuel with a fresh batch of premixed fuel.
~> Go for your life!

I doubt that avgas is commercially available to the average punter.
If it is, then be aware that it runs 'hot' for lack of a better layperson-description, and I only used it 'every other tank' in a motorcycle for a while till any residual carbonisation had burnt itself clear, then I used it premixed with a sparing amount of normal fuel. It certainly added ummph-factor to the motor output, and kept the innards of the engine clean!
mikllaw
13/03/2012
1:40:22 PM
when there's only a thin film of oil between the engine and seizing (and throwing you down the road at speed) it is worth knowing that the oil also can absorb quite a lot of water over time, so fresh premix is good.

For a drill, carry some new plugs

nmonteith
13/03/2012
2:15:07 PM
You know you can get a reasonable battery powered rotary hammer for about $500 now don't you? I saw an 18v Ryobi one at Bunnings last week for about $300 inc 2AH lithiam ion battery.
widewetandslippery
13/03/2012
2:26:17 PM
my ryobi is a heritage item sitting in rodws garage. I use his drill, a mighty fine dewalt. It would be nice to crank up the old fella in the wolgan though.

And my last $500 hjas gone to castration tuesday at the vet. Some how I think claude is going to be less than impressed.
mothrfckr
13/03/2012
2:39:09 PM
Wide-wet-and-slippery, I would like to present you an award for 'most improved' for your use of not only sentences, capitals and full stops, but words that follow on logically from those coming before and link clearly with those that come after.

Well done.

hangdog
13/03/2012
2:48:46 PM
On 13/03/2012 mikllaw wrote:
>when there's only a thin film of oil between the engine and seizing (and
>throwing you down the road at speed)

Gotta love 2 strokes. Specially highly tuned ones. Like hand grenade russian roulette.

rodw
Online Now
13/03/2012
2:59:57 PM
>my ryobi is a heritage item sitting in rodws garage. I use his drill, a
>mighty fine dewalt. It would be nice to crank up the old fella in the wolgan
>though.

I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning, its smells like victory!!!!

dalai
13/03/2012
3:58:40 PM
>my ryobi is a heritage item

Viva la Ryobi!

Mine is still in the shed. It gets used once in a while, though these days it is just for DYI jobs around the house...
widewetandslippery
13/03/2012
4:01:53 PM
claude is now unhappily castrated and my punctuation and dictioon is abouit to go down hill.

Climbau
14/03/2012
2:54:32 PM
Do Yourself In jobs?????
dalai
14/03/2012
3:33:46 PM
On 14/03/2012 Climbau wrote:
>Do Yourself In jobs?????

LOL. Given some of the jobs around the home I've had a go at, surprised I haven't done myself in yet...

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints