Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: SET of 8 "C4" Cams and 8 matching wire gates. Sizes .3 .4 .5 .75 1 2 3 & 4 and 8 anodised "neutrino" - wire gate karabiners.   $625.00
20% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Poll Option Votes Graph
Apathetic, don't care about success/failure 2
6% 
Relaxed but focussed 17
53% 
Totally focussed and serious 0

Confident, imagining success 3
9% 
Nervous 0

Terrified 3
9% 
Anything else? 7
22% 

Author
Best mental state for a tough send
bones
12/01/2012
11:57:36 AM
Before you best climbs, how are you feeling?
i.e what is the best mental state for before a hard send at your limit?

Eduardo Slabofvic
12/01/2012
12:01:08 PM
Wasted

Sonic
12/01/2012
12:07:21 PM
Angry. Seriously I always send when I feel like ripping some dweebs head off.

Sabu
12/01/2012
12:08:16 PM
Depends on what type of climbing it is. For sport is probably mixture of relaxed/confident and slightly apathetic.

For trad though there is more seriousness, some nerves and confidence (if i'm feeling strong that is!). The degree of these feelings are often dependant on a lot of factors that I'm thinking about such as the commitment required, gear, moves, likely rest spots etc.
lost tazmaniac
12/01/2012
12:15:17 PM

me too? (angry state of mind) I don't real understand it.. maybe I belong to the darkside of using the force to get up and send?
bones
12/01/2012
12:20:47 PM
On 12/01/2012 lost tazmaniac wrote:
>me too? (angry state of mind) I don't real understand it.. maybe I belong
>to the darkside of using the force to get up and send?

If I start to get angry at myself for climbing like crap though it's a downward spiral of degenerating technique and energy-sapping tantrums
lost tazmaniac
12/01/2012
12:29:37 PM
I'm not angry at myself.. usually I'm just angry.. (had a bad day) as soon as I get on that route it all gets channelled and I wonder how come I dont climb this smoothly all the time.. no attacks of the Elvis legs or crisis of confidence..
Rocafella
12/01/2012
1:57:31 PM
Imagining I'm in front of a crowd (like a comp) or I'm being filmed, so I have to climb controlled and perfect and not stuff around... Somehow blocks out all the other mental crap

E. Wells
12/01/2012
7:29:33 PM
" I will climb until I fall off "

Miguel75
12/01/2012
8:18:01 PM
On 12/01/2012 bones wrote:
>If I start to get angry at myself for climbing like crap though it's a downward spiral of >degenerating technique and energy-sapping tantrums

Me too, if I start to get a bit sketched I begin to talk myself down and then just freak out into a horrible mess. On the other hand when I recognise I'm freaking out I try to remember to breathe, as this stops me from not breathing...
Steve Peckman
13/01/2012
9:21:04 AM
I find a relaxed mind, some times singing until the crux helps focus me. I rarely climb well angry or when I over think it. My hardest sends are when Iím chilled and I let my body just move.

rodw
13/01/2012
9:29:02 AM
On 12/01/2012 dangermouth wrote:
>" I will climb until I fall off "

As the saying goes " I would have climbed it if I didn't fall."

blueskyblonde
13/01/2012
10:41:12 AM
fear and arrogance boys...fear and arrogance!
widewetandslippery
13/01/2012
6:13:58 PM
The best state is where they don't have you in a straight jacket and your body functions.

E. Wells
13/01/2012
8:38:25 PM
Victoria is a mental state. Fully sick mental

Macciza
13/01/2012
10:42:20 PM
You must be as one with the rock . . .
On the edge - Stoned, immaculate . . .
MM

evanbb
14/01/2012
7:44:03 AM
For trad I used to send best in the 'this is necessary' headspace. 'it's either send or a long abseil and walk'.
retro
14/01/2012
10:17:07 AM
Like all things, don't think there's a black and white option here. Somedays pure fear driven adrenaline works, other days cool and calculating, other days Edwin's wasted, other days, trying not to look like a complete pussy in front of someone you fancy.

I might add, none of that is working at the moment. So the perfect state is not the one I'm in now.

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints