Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: Viper Size S (2013 model as shown) Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 64-79cm Legs: 45-59cm   $89.00
32% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
V.C.C. Do we nead a hard copy of ARGUS?

Robbie
7/07/2011
10:23:06 AM
With the VCC AGM comming up, you might like to consider comming for the following reason. As you all know newsletter Argus is produced and sent out on a monthly basis either as a PDF or hard copy. At this years AGM there will be a motion on the table to be debated and voted on as to whether members recieve Argus in hard copy. So, there you have it a possible change that may leave some people out in the cold, if they choose to not move into the 21st century. Democracy in progress. By getting this motion passed, the VCC stands make a substantial savings to its annual overheads. At the monment members are given the option when renewing their memberships of recieving an e-mail or hardcopy. The flaw in this arrangement is that numbers can fluctuate, making it difficult to predict numbers for annual budget estimates. By moving this motion, SAVINGS can be made and put to good use like keeping you membership fees from rissing. So, hear is your chance to help bring this thorny issue to a head. Remember this motion will be on the table at OUR next AGM.

StuckNut
7/07/2011
10:48:24 AM
Just a suggestion - if there is some ancient, long lost tribe of people, which cannot handle receiving Argus in a digitial format, then maybe it should require a small additional fee on their membership to cover the additional costs involved in producing their hardcopy?

This may be enough to encourage the reluctant/technologically challenged ones to step up into the modern era?

Call it a VCC carbon tax?

jkane
7/07/2011
12:27:41 PM
I always got it in hard copy format because I already spend far too many hours in front of a computer. I simply don't enjoy reading stuff on a computer screen as much as I do from paper. Plus, I could read it on the bog. Might have to invest in an eReader.

Having said that, I won't vote this down anyway as I can see how it benefits the club.

I wonder how many members actually read Argus and regularly visit the website? I was thinking about this the other day. When I was on the committee, I was always checking the website and read Argus properly. I was probably under the impression that a fair portion of members were doing likewise. Now that I'm not, I rarely visit the website and tend to just skim over Argus.
satan
7/07/2011
12:57:09 PM
You can always print a copy yourself if you're so obsessed with the feel of dead trees in your hands.

shortman
7/07/2011
6:43:18 PM
I agree with StuckNuts. However i can also envision a few of the old guard to whom this might seem horrendous. Satan also has a point. Maybe a cheaper, pretty much photocopied version could be sent out. If u reduce the stock quality, u reduce the price considerably.
stugang
7/07/2011
7:47:28 PM
How many hard copies get sent out?

Agree with the idea above to charge for hard copy.
stugang
8/07/2011
5:00:47 PM
The more I thought about it the more I believed that the honourable folk of the VCC should add a cost, time and carbon price for the folk who like it hard.

Any profits over and above cost can go to buying home made pitons and mild steel carrots for USCV (UnSaferCliffsVictoria). As clearly anyone who wants a hard Argus doesn't clip rings. Nor do they walk on tracks. Nor do they own an iPad.

I did definitely think that, but I don't really think about it anymore. Funny thing life.

Robbie
8/07/2011
7:58:08 PM
Interesting. ARGUS April 1965 had a price of 6d = 5 centsish at the time.

Robbie
8/07/2011
8:08:30 PM
Hard copies sent out per month for Argus is just under the 100 mark.

Robbie
8/07/2011
8:12:03 PM
Hmmm, what are you trying to say useful!!! You can always print a copy yourself if you're so obsessed with the feel of dead trees in your hands.
stugang
8/07/2011
9:07:56 PM
AAArghhhghHH

All I was trying to say is I am on the side of the peeps who believe a rag like argus should go out via the net.

Oh yeh...and also that the old farts living in a pre telephone world should cough up for being a dinosaur. Simple really.

JamesMc
9/07/2011
3:45:01 AM
I'd willingly pay extra to have paper copies so I can easily maintain my paper archive. As for printing your own, the cost of printing with a bubble jet printer like I have at home is huge. (I guess people who print their own do so at work??)

The other side of the coin is the fact that printing Argus is currently a significant part of VCC expenses so if it all goes electronic we should see a reduction in membership fees

JamesMc

Robbie
9/07/2011
11:38:42 AM
My take is, why should the progressive tribe subsidize those individuals that preffer a hard copy. As for Old Farts, "I definitly fit that criteria." I consider hard copy dependancy is more a mindset rather than an age related issue. However, having said that, age relatedness towards the mindset with old farts, "if there were some # crunching," may well show up to be a deciding factor. Not that a mindset is a bad thing, the question to ask is it a growth or fixed mindset? Try this website for a some more indepth analysis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindset_(book). And, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_(psychology) for schemas. Enjoy.

vcc
9/07/2011
12:15:00 PM
A document will shortly be sent out to all members of the VCC, email and hardcopy members alike, presenting all the facts, financial and otherwise, and the 3 different options which have been discussed at meetings. As with any group of diverse minded people,and the committee is no different, there are differing opinions for a variety of reasons so it is only fair that these should be put forward. Ultimately, the committee needs to make responsible decisions when it comes to the finances of the club, but also members needs and preferences should be taken on board so hopefully we will get enough feedback from the email to the members. This information will also go into the next Argus and be available on the VCC website.

stugang
9/07/2011
9:56:59 PM
On 9/07/2011 JamesMc wrote:
>I'd willingly pay extra to have paper copies so I can easily maintain my
>paper archive. As for printing your own, the cost of printing with a bubble
>jet printer like I have at home is huge. (I guess people who print their
>own do so at work??)
>
>The other side of the coin is the fact that printing Argus is currently
>a significant part of VCC expenses so if it all goes electronic we should
>see a reduction in membership fees
>

$60 for a year. How much lower do you want it? I'd say scrap the printed copy keep the membership price the same and put the money toward more mild steel carrots held in with bits of cloth.
>JamesMc

Robbie
10/07/2011
9:22:41 AM
Good stuff guys, this topic should create a lot of interest, thus encouraging a large turn-up at the next A.G.M. ;-)

jkane
12/07/2011
4:07:15 PM
On 10/07/2011 Robbie wrote:
>Good stuff guys, this topic should create a lot of interest, thus encouraging
>a large turnup at the next A.G.M. ;-)

Like this one? http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindatreichphotos/4128708185/

Robbie
12/07/2011
4:27:58 PM
Thanks Jim. Hope you can attend the next A.G.M.

jkane
13/07/2011
4:25:07 PM
No way! I might get press ganged into rejoining the committee :-)

Yeah hope to make it. I'm sure I'll see the notice in my next hard copy of Argus :-o
I presume the usual pizza and beer will be available?

One issue is that we never sorted out was a members only section of the web site. This would be useful so that members could peruse old copies of Argus. Or maybe it doesn't need to be members only as long as the current issue is not there (Argus is supposed to be a members benefit).

I also think one hard copy should get printed and put into the club library.

Robbie
13/07/2011
5:28:39 PM
This is being worked on and will be up and running soon. I have just presented the State Library with PDF's of 1965 and 2001 too 2011. Stay tuned

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints